RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Barry Lichter

Bye bye Radio Trackside

7 hours ago, Trump said:

Non-critical costs??? Reminds me of the old but good story about the Hot Dog Salesman. 

The man who sold very good hot dogs

There was once a man who lived by the side of the road and sold hot dogs.  He was hard of hearing so he had no radio - he had trouble with his eyes, so he read no newspapers and of course he didn't look at television.  But he sold very good hot dogs. He put up signs on the highway telling everyone how good they were, he stood on the side of the road and cried out to all that past 'buy a hot dog, they are the best in town'.

And people bought his hot dogs and he increased his meat and bun orders. He bought a bigger stove to take care of all the extra business. He finally got his son to come and help him out with his business. 

But then something happened, his son who had been well educated said . . . ' Father, haven't you been listening to the radio or reading the newspapers or watching television? There's a big recession happening right now. The current business situation is terrible in this country - we have problems with unemployment, high living costs, strikes, pollution, the influence of minorities and majorities, the rich, the poor, drugs, alcohol, capitalism and communism '.

Where upon his father thought, ' well my son's been well educated, he reads the papers, listens to the radio and watches television, so he ought to know '.

So his father cut down on his meat and bun orders, took down all his advertising signs and no longer bothered to stand by the side of the road to promote and sell his hot dogs, . . . . and his hot dog sales fell almost overnight.

'You're right, son' the father said 'we certainly are in the middle of a recession'

42 minutes ago, poundforpound said:

One would hope this closing of Trackside radio is only the “tip”.....now I’d like to see the iceberg.....is RITA providing a list of all staff terminated, stood down, or on government subsidy ?

Maybe we’ll see a lean and mean organization when it re-emerges, something efficient and fit for purpose

Should have happened “BEFORE” this Corvid-19 disaster. 

I hate seeing people losing jobs, horrible.  So it extremely disappointing that the much needed and known (for years) restructure was not done in the last few years to give employees an opportunity in a good job market.  More is lost in hesitation than decision.

Thought the coverage of Aussie racing yesterday was great apart from the post race interviews. I doubt they are required at all, same old questions, same type of replies. NZ, well on course speakers blaring away all the time is sickening, much the same as super rugby at the breaks in play bloody music for 20- 40 seconds.  Time to get racing on free to air, de mob the course commentary team. Noted 2 nights on TV3 sports news racing got a mention, are we moving up, NO, just desperation for a filler sports story, racing is desperate as well for anything good at present. Look at the interest a small picking comp got on this site, free, well run,and most of all fun. Surely racing heads it cannot be that difficult.:rcf-happy-7:

28 minutes ago, arjay said:

Thought the coverage of Aussie racing yesterday was great apart from the post race interviews. I doubt they are required at all, same old questions, same type of replies. NZ, well on course speakers blaring away all the time is sickening, much the same as super rugby at the breaks in play bloody music for 20- 40 seconds.  Time to get racing on free to air, de mob the course commentary team. Noted 2 nights on TV3 sports news racing got a mention, are we moving up, NO, just desperation for a filler sports story, racing is desperate as well for anything good at present. Look at the interest a small picking comp got on this site, free, well run,and most of all fun. Surely racing heads it cannot be that difficult.:rcf-happy-7:

Racing is free to air, download freeflixhd app to get sky racing 1 and 2 from aus as well as racing.com .Have used it for 2yrs without any major hiccups .It shows how simple it can be and it certainly has redirected my punting because it is free to all.

14 minutes ago, Nukkledragga said:

Racing is free to air, download freeflixhd app to get sky racing 1 and 2 from aus as well as racing.com .Have used it for 2yrs without any major hiccups .It shows how simple it can be and it certainly has redirected my punting because it is free to all.

And the average joe  just does not know of this site, how can racing interest be expected to grow? Either you have Sky, or a TAB account with credit to view in the main, Free to air means anybody at anytime on a local TV channel, that is my point, no disrespect at you or site mentioned

1 hour ago, gubellini said:

You have to wonder if when racing resumes the paying out of stakes to owners will be regarded as a non-critical cost? 

I'm hearing the stakes will be a flatter structure to spread them down. Everyone gets a Marmite sammy

Damn, no Tracktalk nationwide with Des this morning...

"I'm really going to miss that poor old punter that used to ring in with the weather update for Christchurch, and his descriptive view from his house...", said nobody. 

2 minutes ago, Rusty said:

"I'm really going to miss that poor old punter that used to ring in with the weather update for Christchurch, and his descriptive view from his house...", said nobody. 

Have to agree, I doubt the costs were great?

2 hours ago, arjay said:

And the average joe  just does not know of this site, how can racing interest be expected to grow? Either you have Sky, or a TAB account with credit to view in the main, Free to air means anybody at anytime on a local TV channel, that is my point, no disrespect at you or site mentioned

The real point is that the world is changing( media works has been in the proverbial forever) and you move with it or whither on the vine .It is there for you along with 100s of other similar apps, take your pick, the real point is that these apps show only a fraction of the possibilities and for a lot less than ANY terrestrial free to air channel could even dream of.

1 hour ago, Rusty said:

Talkback caller "Andy the weatherman" 

41 minutes ago, kdt said:

Talkback caller "Andy the weatherman" 

That's it! That's him. 

"Yeah Des, good morning from a beautiful Autumn morning here in Christchurch. It is about 16 degrees here and I can see the nor'west arch from my living room. Going up to 22 today Des, and rain coming tomorrow and Tuesday." 

Always failed to mention the wind like Tony Greig on the 12th man... 

The wind is blowing 20k's from the north-east and outta my ar$e at about 30. 

The RITA statement quoted above suggests that for the first time in 42 years punters will not be able to follow the horses on their radios since Radio Pacific started broadcasting in 1978.

So what was I listening to in the days of Brookby Song and Arabian Nights? Or when David Clarkson told us what the ladies were wearing at Addington before getting into his "neck-and-neck, stride-for-stride finishes"? My father-in-law and I would spend hours on a Saturday out in his garden shed tuning in to his oldish but powerful valve radio and geeing on our fancies as they turned for home. 

These were the days of YAs, YCs, XHs, YZs  with radio race broadcasts - and radio static - emanating from faraway places like Hamilton and New Plymouth.

Way before 1978.

4 hours ago, Jape said:

The RITA statement quoted above suggests that for the first time in 42 years punters will not be able to follow the horses on their radios since Radio Pacific started broadcasting in 1978.

So what was I listening to in the days of Brookby Song and Arabian Nights? Or when David Clarkson told us what the ladies were wearing at Addington before getting into his "neck-and-neck, stride-for-stride finishes"? My father-in-law and I would spend hours on a Saturday out in his garden shed tuning in to his oldish but powerful valve radio and geeing on our fancies as they turned for home. 

These were the days of YAs, YCs, XHs, YZs  with radio race broadcasts - and radio static - emanating from faraway places like Hamilton and New Plymouth.

Way before 1978.

Correct Jape. 

I can remember in the sixties as a kid sitting around the radio listening to the races with my father and uncles. 

9 hours ago, Rusty said:

That's it! That's him. 

"Yeah Des, good morning from a beautiful Autumn morning here in Christchurch. It is about 16 degrees here and I can see the nor'west arch from my living room. Going up to 22 today Des, and rain coming tomorrow and Tuesday." 

Always failed to mention the wind like Tony Greig on the 12th man... 

The wind is blowing 20k's from the north-east and outta my ar$e at about 30. 

Funny thing is Rusty I also live in Christchurch and sometimes I thought he must have been giving the forecast with his blinds closed. 

16 hours ago, Jape said:

Way before 1978.

Even way before 1968 Jape. Then at 6 oclock on ZB we got the whole racing roundup, every result and dividend from every race in the country along with all sports events, even club stuff plus English football results too. "Service" has gradually gone right out the window since then.

Once a year, at the Sacred Heart Convent primary school in Reefton, the head nun would allow us to listen to the live broadcast of the NZ Trotting Cup at Addington.

I particularly remember the 1952 edition as it was won by Mobile Globe. And we all knew that Mobile Globe had once raced at Reefton.

Incidentally, Reon Murtha also went to this school. He was a year ahead of me.

I know what you mean by "Service", Blue, but the change from then to now is reflective of the general lack of interest today in those sports activities which meant so much to us.

I am sure many readers will remember the queues on a Saturday evening to get the Saturday Sports paper which even had a Stop Press section to cover the ultra-latest results. Those editions have all gone because the interest waned to such an extent they were no longer viable. 

I well remember at National Bowls' tournaments the queues to get a bet on during the Saturday lunch-time session. Special TABs were arranged at the headquarters for the many punters some of whom played with a Best Bets hanging out of their back pocket. You could discuss the Daily Double with almost any other player.

As the song goes: Those were the days, my friend, we thought they'd never end   ...