RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
pogo(aus)

Elvis Thurgood 40 th Anniversary Cup

Spare a thought for jockeys safety today given the plight of Elvis “Ricky” Thurgood who sadly suffered terrible injuries in 1980 riding Taras Regent ( full brother to Taras Bulba) at Caulfield racecourse.

I’ll never forget listening to the race as a young bloke having backed Taras Regent and the feeling when news came through regarding the outcome of the fall.

I unexpectedly received a wonderful letter in response to a donation I made to a fundraising effort to help Elvis as I’m sure many, many  others did, the impact on the family was clearly evident in that note. 

Unfortunately he is one of many and despite being a group one jockey bagger I always think back to that day each Easter weekend with sadness.

The family came to Australia in 1968 from Sri Lanka and for those interested there are some informative stories on the net regarding the incident and Elvis life with his family and the care they provide for him  to this day.