RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
tasman man 11

Is it true that Good Friday once......

Thanks Ted , I good bit of trivia that !

No racing in NZ today....doesn't bother Western Australia tho......and the police aware here as my friend was stopped out on Motorway for speeding.

Cop....."Why are you towing that Horse float ,and why you speeding ? "

Friend.....My horse is in the first race and I am late.

Cop.......Ah ha , you can't fool me , NZ doesn't allow Horse racing on Good Friday , plus we in lockdown !

The cop checks rego ,tyres and walks around back of float.

Cop.....but there's no horse in here , its empty !!

Friend........Oh dear , they must have given me the scratchings !

An oldie but a goodie !

Focus up Ted and get those BGP selections sorted !

5 hours ago, rdytdy said:

Yes in 1946 ;)

Good on you Sir Ted. Hope you and Linda and your  family are bonding frequently.

The Good Friday question is yet another Trivia question without proof !

Huge McCarvil who bred and raced champions  Bridie and Mannix used to recount many stories from his Tower Road property in Matamata.

One of his favourites was about a Neddy called Good Friday  who fell in a race on Boxing Day.

Quote:

And, of course, you would be absolutely correct if the question was purely about chronology, but it’s not; it is, in fact, something of an ‘old chestnut’ in horse racing circles, but that hasn’t stopped it becoming a favourite of quiz masters over the years. For the record, the horse Good Friday ran, and fell, in the Thorneycroft Chase at Wolverhampton – Dunstall Park staged National Hunt racing until 2002, believe it or not – on December 26, 1899; Good Friday did, literally, fall on Boxing Day that year. Click through for more fun and factual horse racing answers.

Ted,  Moifa was mistaken for Kiora (1904)

Maybe it was 1945  ish at Wolverhampton on BoxIng Day

Look forward to your RandwIck picks in Ponderosa's Generous Competition.

Wow , Mannix , what a machine he was , grew up in awe of him , one of my 1st Heros.

There was a Photo of him in full stretch in the Te Awamutu Club back in the day.

Do you recall what happened to Mannix , Black Kirrama (Kirrama and Bardall another 2 of my faves too)

Ended up at stud in Japan.

Left a winner in NZ called Count Mannix from memory trained in Matamata.

Hurt a sesamoind bone while winning the Wellington Guineas on 3 legs.

Came back after recovering but never the same although he did win the Kings Plate .Retired after hurting himself again.

Never beaten over a mile.

22 minutes ago, Charlie Bukowski said:

Wow , Mannix , what a machine he was , grew up in awe of him , one of my 1st Heros.

There was a Photo of him in full stretch in the Te Awamutu Club back in the day.

Do you recall what happened to Mannix , Black Kirrama (Kirrama and Bardall another 2 of my faves too)

Stood at Balclarres Stud in Matamata.

Field he beat in the Kings Plate included Unpainted Tatua,Lord Cheval,Super Count,Bardall and,Mayo Gold.

On 4/11/2020 at 12:48 PM, Charlie Bukowski said:

The one and only D J Riordan ??

He had a feast of good horses back then , Heflu another who went out fave in an Auckland Cup,a young B S Compton aboard ?

Heflu got  badly galloped on in the Cup and finished well back.Never recaptured his old form after that and i think he went to Eric Tempertons stable and tried as a jumper .