RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Trump

Hard Luck Stories

With all the doom and gloom about, perhaps it would be a bit of fun to read/share the many “hard luck” stories that are in abundance in horse racing. I’ll start it off with one of mine. Not long ago I was at the Gold Coast races in the Skyline Lounge having a beautiful lunch with wife and another couple. I’d taken a 4 race multi in Sydney, spending $75 to win just over $40,000 if the four horses won. After the first two got up I was offered a reduced cash-out and took 25% of it and let the rest ride for a reduced payout. The 3rd horse won at good odds and I was offered a further cash-out. I took the offer 100% and my total collect was just on $5k. Not being greedy I thought that was a good return for $75 - until the fourth leg won by a nose :( How was I to know that the fourth leg,  The Autumn Sun,  was going to turn out to be such a top liner :( 

2 hours ago, Trump said:

With all the doom and gloom about, perhaps it would be a bit of fun to read/share the many “hard luck” stories that are in abundance in horse racing. I’ll start it off with one of mine. Not long ago I was at the Gold Coast races in the Skyline Lounge having a beautiful lunch with wife and another couple. I’d taken a 4 race multi in Sydney, spending $75 to win just over $40,000 if the four horses won. After the first two got up I was offered a reduced cash-out and took 25% of it and let the rest ride for a reduced payout. The 3rd horse won at good odds and I was offered a further cash-out. I took the offer 100% and my total collect was just on $5k. Not being greedy I thought that was a good return for $75 - until the fourth leg won by a nose :( How was I to know that the fourth leg,  The Autumn Sun,  was going to turn out to be such a top liner :( 

You got over it fairly quickly though aye :rcf-thinking:    If only.... :rcf-shocked:  question is would you do it again given the same circumstance :rcf-thinking-1:... these freakish occurances dont  roll around all that often as we all well know .:rcf-shocked: we know what Steel Balls would of done  :rcfe-happy-3:

Not so much a hard luck story Ernie, more a good luck story.

Went to place a bet on one of the TAB machines once downstairs at Crown and when I went to pick up the ticket found a betting voucher for $4700 sitting in the tray. 

Not a bad no risk return. :)

36 minutes ago, CT"s said:

Not so much a hard luck story Ernie, more a good luck story.

Went to place a bet on one of the TAB machines once downstairs at Crown and when I went to pick up the ticket found a betting voucher for $4700 sitting in the tray. 

Not a bad no risk return. :)

Thats a hard luck story alright , if that was the TABs money id be in like a robbers dog ...but it wasnt :rcf-sad-1:

My old man loved the ITV seven on a Saturday arvo in UK. As a kid I used to work out his bets , Yankees and the like . He would throw me the slip  i would work them out .He said get a job in bookies  as a settler when you grow up .The rule was  never tell him what he might win it's bad luck and never ever ever tell my mum what he has won .He done a Yankee one arvo , I remember the first winner this day  , mid winter over sticks Newcastle , Millie Grey got home decent price . Next two came home , wracking my brains but names escape me . The final leg Newlife Connection was horse,  3 runner chase odds on . Horse was a multiple winner . Jockey called Ridley Lamb rode .I couldn't resist and got the calculator fired up, Cross doubles , Cross trebles , accumulator,  add it all,  it was a lot of money in those days , weeks wages maybe . I told him. He said nothing . At the first fence the horse overjumped,  Ridley went out the side door , my old man described it as " he just rolled off " . I looked in his eyes , and I swear he had tears welling up on his eyelids . I said you crying , he said no just  been on balcony for a fag  it's cold , don't work them out again till it's done .

Years later Ridley Lamb took a drive off a Quay into sea  up North of England and poor bugger didn't get out . I told my old man next time I saw him.  All he said was " he just rolled off that day " .

1 hour ago, Gruff said:

Thats a hard luck story alright , if that was the TABs money id be in like a robbers dog ...but it wasnt :rcf-sad-1:

Unfortunately no way of identifying the owner of a blank betting voucher Gruffy. :(

What would you have done? Handed it in to the TAB teller for them to cash it in for themselves? :ph34r:

If it was a wallet with some form of identification it would be different. 

Two hard luck stories.

I had 5K to win on Pierro to win the Caulfield Guineas once when Nash decided to ride him 4 wide in an 8 horse field and was pipped on the post by All Too Hard. :ph34r:

I had 5K to win on So You Think another time to win the Prince of Wales Stakes when he shot clear in the straight only to be pipped by Rewilding with a masterful ride by Frankie Detorri. :ph34r:

You gotta love this punting game! :D

My mate (mafia lad) in Melbourne lost a betting voucher worth $4700 at Crown one night, at one one of those self serve machines. 

He stormed after this fella that he reckons took his ticket from the machine. Beat him to a pulp, but couldn't find the ticket on him. He got 3 years in the big house for his efforts. 

To this day, big Mario is still hell bent on finding the missing ticket and the guy that took it. 

48 minutes ago, CT"s said:

Unfortunately no way of identifying the owner of a blank betting voucher Gruffy. :(

What would you have done? Handed it in to the TAB teller for them to cash it in for themselves? :ph34r:

I think you will find it is called "theft by finding".

You can also be charged with theft if you happen to find something that is not yours and you keep it without trying to find the owner. - from Vic Legal Aid Website

25 minutes ago, Rusty said:

My mate (mafia lad) in Melbourne lost a betting voucher worth $4700 at Crown one night, at one one of those self serve machines. 

He stormed after this fella that he reckons took his ticket from the machine. Beat him to a pulp, but couldn't find the ticket on him. He got 3 years in the big house for his efforts. 

To this day, big Mario is still hell bent on finding the missing ticket and the guy that took it. 

That’s pretty good Rusty :lol:

20 minutes ago, Hufkissen said:

I think you will find it is called "theft by finding".

You can also be charged with theft if you happen to find something that is not yours and you keep it without trying to find the owner. - from Vic Legal Aid Website

I wasn’t aware of this Hufkissen. Thank you for letting me know. 

11 hours ago, CT"s said:

Its a tough one alright, i normally take the voucher then keep an eye out for the one checking all their pockets looking more distressed than the others in the establishment  :rcfe-happy-3:...and give it back of course:rcfe-like:

A friend of mine was quite close to Sydney Stable back in the 70’s and told me a story that goes like this. A horse was given the “slows” on the training track but was given long work to get it fit for a big plunge. It opened at 100/1 and he and the stable kept piling it on until the jump and it started 2nd fave to a horse trained by TJ. The plunge was successful. However, TJ’s horse ran 2nd and protested agin the winner. Protest upheld....plunge thwarted! 

Here's one of my many sad  looser days at the races .Lets go back to the good old days 1975  .I will make it a short story .A brilliant young apprentice called Trevor Rowlands who won a race on a friend of ours horse called Synmoor ,and we had got to know him quiet well .  , told us he had a hurdler racing at Ellerslie on the saturday of queens Birthday  that could fly and had been working the tracks down .So off to Ellerslie the intrepid team went at Matamata we realise once again we would miss the 1st race so called into the TAB and put 100 ew on this horse who I think was called Gunmetal .Also we had miss calculated the amount of beer we needed to get there and called in to the pub for more stock  .As we ran onto the course the race had started  and this grey horse went out to a 20 length lead my partner in crime ran to the back of the old tote because the crowds were huge in those days and he would be the first for the payout  .  Trevor was going so fast at the last fence still 20 lengths and crashed out .I stood there stunned  he was paying $20 I staggered around to my mate who didn't know the result .He was on his hands and knees when I told him  . Slow horses and fast women have been my downfall in life. RIP Trevor ........... Cheers BH

12 hours ago, Rusty said:

Mate I'd be keeping a low profile for a while if I was you. 

Rusty you seem like a pretty decent sort of a bloke. 

I can assure you I won’t be keeping a low profile. I’ll be continuing to live my life as I always have. 

Kudos to you though, it was a good joke and we all got a good laugh out of it including me. Have a good day. :)

P.S. I won’t be surprised if Stalker creates a new racecafe profile called “big Mario” like he’s already done with a manager that works at my company. :rolleyes:

7 minutes ago, CT"s said:

Rusty you seem like a pretty decent sort of a bloke. 

I can assure you I won’t be keeping a low profile. I’ll be continuing to live my life as I always have. 

Kudos to you though, it was a good joke and we all got a good laugh out of it including me. Have a good day. :)

P.S. I won’t be surprised if Stalker creates a new racecafe profile called “big Mario” like he’s already done with a manager that works at my company. :rolleyes:

That's right, I vaguely recall reading somewhere that you had a stalker! 

It all adds up now. 

Look, I know you get a bit of stick on here, but all I will say is this... and I want to say it, just incase I don't get to tell you in the future...

I'm more of a harness man than gallops, but I admired how you would post photos of betting slips of your bets, before the specified race. Not many people would do that. It gave a lot of people an interest, and of course some people, some amo to use against "stopper", but it was good fun to see. 

Thanks mate. 

P.S I will have a quiet word to big Mario for ya. I'm sure everything was just a big misunderstanding. All the best. 

1 minute ago, Rusty said:

It all adds up now. 

Look, I know you get a bit of stick on here, but all I will say is this... and I want to say it, just incase I don't get to tell you in the future...

I'm more of a harness man than gallops, but I admired how you would post photos of betting slips of your bets, before the specified race. Not many people would do that. It gave a lot of people an interest, and of course some people, some amo to use against "stopper", but it was good fun to see. 

Thanks mate. 

P.S I will have a quiet word to big Mario for ya. I'm sure everything was just a big misunderstanding. All the best. 

I actually like looking at the tickets myself for an interest.... but sometimes I wonder whether he found the tickets at those self serving machines because someone forgot to take it.

My "stupidy" story..

I always go for something a bit rough with a bit of value, so back at Ellerslie some 6-7 years ago, Heavy Track I sorted out 4 horses.

Airfield Road, Wee Biskit, Swiper the Fox and Sing for the Sun. Took them in a $10 FF Place multi.

But never did I actually think they'd all WIN so never took a FF Win multi....I collected something like $1,500 for my FF Place bet, but even a  $1 FF Win multi bet would have given me something like $28,000...

45 minutes ago, Rusty said:

It all adds up now. 

Thanks mate. 

All good mate.

Harness was actually where my original passion for horses started when I went to the Cambridge trots one night as part of a University outing. My great uncle was President of Alexandra Park and we had a family reunion there many years ago. 

Love the trots. Still do. 

I always like to table my bets before the race rather than afterwards, makes it more fun.  Perhaps Leigh will allow me to do that again one day. 

Good punting B)

47 minutes ago, Ponderosa8 said:

I actually like looking at the tickets myself for an interest.... but sometimes I wonder whether he found the tickets at those self serving machines because someone forgot to take it.

Wow, I’d be the luckiest man on earth Ponderosa finding $1,000 betting tickets every week :lol: