RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
tasman man 11

Harness needs BGP....

One of the bright lights in NZ Racing of late has been the emergence of BGP !

Boy oh boy does Harness sure need  some of our youthful enthusiasm !

This week the BGP outfit has quickly got together and arranged a pool of $105,000[ and growing] to have a flutter on the Aussie gallops tomorrow.

Some 700 people have got involved...it closes at 5pm tonight.

The average age is a little lower than the average Cardigan Bay/Lord Module follower who fills up the Harness halls of despair in NZ.

Probably too late to get involved for tomorrow but something Harness needs ASAP.

Some movement that folk of all ages and all genders want to be part of !

Harness really needs to get the TAB tills ticking over to be saved.

Let's make Harness great again !

Pleased to report that BGP not only provided interest in several gallops races today but a couple of Kiwi horses were included........the end result was a handy profit.

Hopefully some will re-invest on the Trots tonight to help out our Harness interests.

Cos the survival of NZ Harness depends on it.

Still racing in Australia and I see a few trots beamed in from Sweden as well....pools a little small there !

Remember....to solve the Virus issue its Test ,Test ,Test.

To solve the Harness issue its BET ,BET ,BET !

13 hours ago, tasman man 11 said:

Pleased to report that BGP not only provided interest in several gallops races today but a couple of Kiwi horses were included........the end result was a handy profit.

Watching them put 70K on that fav in the last at Randwick was outstanding.  The roar online when it hit the front was amazing and like the good old on course days of NZ racing. Whats even better is that 91% want to go again.

Dont think they have a penchant for NZ Harness at this stage though Gary despite their attendance at last seasons Jewels. It needs a harness version of Luke Kemeys to bring it off going forward.

Greg

6 hours ago, JJ Flash said:

Watching them put 70K on that fav in the last at Randwick was outstanding.  The roar online when it hit the front was amazing and like the good old on course days of NZ racing. Whats even better is that 91% want to go again.

Dont think they have a penchant for NZ Harness at this stage though Gary despite their attendance at last seasons Jewels. It needs a harness version of Luke Kemeys to bring it off going forward.

Greg

Yes JJ , I thought it was a good way to be involved.....keep one's hand in.

Someone else does the study for you ,you know they are considering track conditions etc so you know you you will probably get a run for money etc

And when on track with the guys and gals you know it will be a positive environment...Karaka day was great cos people there from all across NZ. No reason it can't and won't be duplicated at Harness more often !

Harness sure needs it.....it needs a younger following getting involved .And it needs more positivity.

And this needs to translate into more BETTING ,because that is what funds it !

Harness does better from Bulk funding from TAB ...29% ...than it probably should.

Probably due to the fact that fixed odds betting seems strong...was marginally up last year while both off course tote and on course tote down 12 - 13 %.

People moan about the hot favs but less than 23 % of races have Favs @ $2  or less.

And these are rarely on the grass ,and South Island racing has good size fields too !

In short ,to survive Harness needs it's fans to bet more....and Harness does poorly on the overseas races....the doggies much better !

Another concern for me re Harnesses future funding ,apart from ATC having no cash , is that I believe Sports will be demanding a bigger take from TAB.

Sports betting levels can justify them asking !

News in last day that Mainland Netball gone into liquidation is a timely reminder. 

Ive spent much of my life involved in Sport and have seen its struggles in NZ up close......Folk despise pokies but they fund a lot of NZ Sport ,and the TAB commission too has been crucial in recent years.

Mainland netball had 20000 members in the strong Harness catchment Timaru to Nelson with Canterbury the key.

Just like they have all the horses and all the enthusiasts !

They need to start betting and make the 'big dance' attractive to bet on !

29 minutes ago, tasman man 11 said:

is that I believe Sports will be demanding a bigger take from TAB.

Thats already happening or so i have been told

31 minutes ago, tasman man 11 said:

Harness sure needs it.....it needs a younger following getting involved .And it needs more positivity.

And this needs to translate into more BETTING ,because that is what funds it !

As the old saying goes"Actions speak louder than words"

The simple fact is that Harness for whatever reasons does not attract younger folk in the same way TB's do. Might have something to do with who runs the joint. If you want a good blueprint for how to make on course patrons feel welcome and  wanted think Tauherenikau . Committee people are at the gate from beginning to end welcoming patrons and saying good bye and thanks at the end of the meeting. F and B is reasonably priced as well as is their use of facilities to generate income outside of racing.

Just my thoughts

Greg

On 4/5/2020 at 8:55 AM, JJ Flash said:

Greg

Hi Greg,

Before COVID 19 hit, BGP were working with Cambridge Raceway on attending their Harness Jewels again, as well as working closely on an event on Show Day. Unfortunately now the Jewels are canceled and Show Day is up in the air with what we will be able to do.

Fingers crossed,

Thanks

Andrew

40 minutes ago, AndrewFitzgerald said:

Hi Greg,

Before COVID 19 hit, BGP were working with Cambridge Raceway on attending their Harness Jewels again, as well as working closely on an event on Show Day. Unfortunately now the Jewels are canceled and Show Day is up in the air with what we will be able to do.

Fingers crossed,

Thanks

Andrew

What / who receives the 5% rebate $ at the end of the month from the elite account the 100k was lost thru? Is it reinvested on something for the members to try and get their stake back? Cheers!

2 hours ago, BackPoonDrinkGoon said:

What / who receives the 5% rebate $ at the end of the month from the elite account the 100k was lost thru? Is it reinvested on something for the members to try and get their stake back? Cheers!

For all the hours of work bgp put into the industry 5 grand wouldn't touch the sides. When we run a punting comp at methven we put 5 grand up if you would like to get involved next year and guarantee 100,000 turn over I'm sure I could organize 5g for you even if you don't win.

13 hours ago, BackPoonDrinkGoon said:

You have clearly missed the big picture here , turnover equals stakes. Nigel knows it,Tasman knows it i know it, Andrew knows it and so do most at Sector level. TB's are creaming it with BGP at the moment. If the organiser is doing all the work for 5 k these days after putting in years of hard work to get it where it is im thinking you are a very harsh judge.

Greg

14 hours ago, AndrewFitzgerald said:

Hi Greg,

Fingers crossed,

Thanks

Andrew

Andrew , you are just plain unlucky this season. However, being the pro active person you are im sure you will continue to pursue future opportunities to work  with BGP at Harness meetings. As you are well aware its a case of having to spend a few dollars to make a few more. Some in Harness just dont get that commercial concept.

Greg

12 hours ago, JJ Flash said:

Andrew , you are just plain unlucky this season. However, being the pro active person you are im sure you will continue to pursue future opportunities to work  with BGP at Harness meetings. As you are well aware its a case of having to spend a few dollars to make a few more. Some in Harness just dont get that commercial concept.

Greg

Thanks, Greg,

Certainly, I was looking forward to it all and expanding on our past 2 x Harness Racing events (Cambridge and Addington Jewels) which we've taken roughly 70 members to each, you only have to watch Pats Delight's victory at the Cambridge Jewels to see and hear the excitement.

David Branch from Cambridge has always supported BGP and that's why we'll be seeing what we can do with him in the future.

Thanks

Andrew

1 minute ago, AndrewFitzgerald said:

Thanks, Greg,

Certainly, I was looking forward to it all and expanding on our past 2 x Harness Racing events (Cambridge and Addington Jewels) which we've taken roughly 70 members to each, you only have to watch Pats Delight's victory at the Cambridge Jewels to see and hear the excitement.

David Branch from Cambridge has always supported BGP and that's why we'll be seeing what we can do with him in the future.

Thanks

Andrew

I'm sure everyone wishes you well and that you can get BGP involved in Harness one way or the other.

Greg