RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Fredd002

NZTR update

Maybe I’m an optimist, but how can it take 2 and a half months from the go ahead to being racing? Plenty of horses will be less than a month from being ready, they haven’t all been spelled through this period. If 1 July, what a hugely wasted opportunity to corner the betting market (if as I expect Australian racing stops soon and is closed a lot longer).

What do others think?

1 hour ago, Peter R S said:

Maybe I’m an optimist, but how can it take 2 and a half months from the go ahead to being racing? Plenty of horses will be less than a month from being ready, they haven’t all been spelled through this period. If 1 July, what a hugely wasted opportunity to corner the betting market (if as I expect Australian racing stops soon and is closed a lot longer).

What do others think?

I think this is could be where our opportunity lies.  Back racing before Aussie.

The section NZTR saying Jumps racing returning 1 July in North is absurd.

Now jumps racing in UK is huge whilst NZ wouldn't even register in comparison. Yet the British don't plan on resuming jumps racing until later.

From  British Racing Authority Operational Plan

"With that in mind, we also expect any return to racing to begin, at least initially, with Flat racing, principally for reasons of safety and to minimise demands on emergency services. While every effort will be made to subsequently resume jumping at the earliest opportunity, possibly with the scheduling of some Jumpers’ Bumpers cards, it may assist jumps trainers to judge whether horses can/should be turned out or kept in training"

Heaps of jumpers in work on private property that would be ready to go may/June. I did put the idea to them to run jumping/highweight cards with these horses. 6 races open hurdles/chase,maiden Hurdle's/chase and open entry SW+P highweights 1600/2000

They seemed keen on the idea but obviously couldn't make it work. A shame as the jumping season is already limited. Maybe they can carry on til the end of October,water tracks to slow 8?

Great to get some news though so we can plan ahead

1 hour ago, Michael Roustoby said:

Heaps of jumpers in work on private property that would be ready to go may/June. I did put the idea to them to run jumping/highweight cards with these horses. 6 races open hurdles/chase,maiden Hurdle's/chase and open entry SW+P highweights 1600/2000

They seemed keen on the idea but obviously couldn't make it work. A shame as the jumping season is already limited. Maybe they can carry on til the end of October,water tracks to slow 8?

Great to get some news though so we can plan ahead

C'mon Michael the best thing NZTR can do is just knock all jumps on the head for the season. Why give false hope, extra financial burdens, plus activate an unnecessary infrastructure. The idea of jumps racing used to be to give racegoers a spectacle. Most likely there won't be spectators and I doubt TV viewers will somehow be addicted to it. Certainly punters won't be interested. Lets face it someone has to mow the grass between the jumps or drive the ambulance and it won't be me.

Horses are almost ready to go, trainers have put the work in, owners have paid training fees for months,jockeys are ready to go. Winter racing needs the excitement of jump racing, ultimate test of man and beast.

But your right knock it on the head. Logical thing to do.Watch the group 1 flat races of which there are none.

The 10yo horses could do with a year off the grow into their frames anyway.

I'm a visionary and we need forward thinking if our industry is going to survive. Keep putting ideas in the too hard basket and that things going to be heavier than Wellington in July.

Let's hope July 1 comes around and we are racing.

59 minutes ago, poundforpound said:

This is the Jacinda and Grant show.....no sign of the rest of the Labour cabinet either...or The Greens....

Interesting eh? In fact Jacinda seems to have been keener to involve National than her coalition partners.

7 hours ago, Trump said:

It’s not his job to run racing is it? 

Not entirely, but no camera appearances nor even mentioned in dispatches with a comment. Final result is certainly going to go way beyond the Messara report though the 'Mess...' will reign for a while.

22 hours ago, Stables said:

At last some indication of forward thinking. The reductions in salaries and payments to the board are also welcome. I hope this is also happening at the TAB and Rita levels as well

Wouldn't a 20-25% reduction be whats saved by working from home?

We are told of a 20 to 25% cost reduction  from an operation that was so hard working,efficient and competently run already. I don't think we can expect any more reductions. I wonder if they will cut the number of staff who get the free trip to the Cox Plate this year.

22 minutes ago, shaneMcAlister said:

Silence to date.  They have $400k a week maintenance to pay on our betting platform still. 

That's to Paddy Power is that right ? Paddy Power and Betfair got some big mega merger going on been given go ahead by UK authorities , not sure NZ Tab will feature much in considerations however on plus side it's not in their interest at all to let it go to the wall , or i cannot see why they would let it so who knows they might help a bit .Maybe they could let it go belly up and step in .

3 hours ago, weasel57 said:

perhaps the plan to resume by 1 July not 1 June is based on the probability of lockdown being extended into early-mid May.

According to Mick Guerin on radio in Melbourne today the reason is this:

All the training tracks are closed so it will take at least 5-6 weeks for racing to start because all the horses are trained on tracks and none on private training facilities like Lindsay Park where they can keep them in work.

Learn something new everyday. I always thought heaps of NZ horses were trained on private properties,way more than in Australia.

Am i wrong or was my English teacher right when he told me Journalism is an ancient greek word that means "if you don't know just make it up as you go"

19 minutes ago, Michael Roustoby said:

According to Mick Guerin on radio in Melbourne today the reason is this:

All the training tracks are closed so it will take at least 5-6 weeks for racing to start because all the horses are trained on tracks and none on private training facilities like Lindsay Park where they can keep them in work.

Learn something new everyday. I always thought heaps of NZ horses were trained on private properties,way more than in Australia.

Am i wrong or was my English teacher right when he told me Journalism is an ancient greek word that means "if you don't know just make it up as you go"

He may have been talking about Australia since he is over there.

Mick Guerin is a Harness man. Would he have much idea about what was happening in Thoroughbreds. From my indications there are plenty of horses ticking over for the horses own welfare. Just because a couple of big stables throw all their horses out the media thinks everyone else will follow suit. These horses that are ticking over would be ready to race again a month after the Lock down ends especially if races are at shorter distances. 

Most of these horses that have been put out will be summer horses and would not have been competing in June and July anyway.