RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
WOODBINE

The importation of shuttle stallions for 2020 breeding season?

Looking ahead there may be major problems with the importation of shuttle stallions into Australia and New Zealand for the 2020 breeding season.

The COVID-19 virus will be with us for a significant period of time so I believe it would be an appropriate opportunity to consider alternative stallion servicing such as AI. AI is used successfully for both the standardbred and sports horse industries. 

Many equine vets are familiar with AI servicing and it’s protocals and it would enable the Thoroughbred breeding industry to continue without major disruption 

I don't see how any activity related to thoroughbred breeding could even be considered at this stage, at least while we remain at level 4. It's clearly a  non-essential business, so any activity such as importing shuttle stallions, breeding, whether via natural or AI services, preparing horses for sale, conducting auctions or selling horses for business purposes etc. are surely out of the question? Has to be a fair chance there will be no breeding season and no auction sales etc. in the next 6 months or so unless the lockdown works better than expected and alert levels are lifted?

Studs etc. are presumably shut down now along with all other non-essentail businesses and limited by MPI to activities that are directly associated to animal welfare purposes.

Are you suggesting that the lockdown will be for the next 6 months? 

For the record (in case you don’t know) the breeding season doesn’t start until 1 September and that’s 6 months away.  

Oh and by the way Leggy, can you tell me how Systema was classified as an essential business as that one has got me beat. I thought that they made plastic containers to keep your lunch in, and they are certainly not needed now.

1 hour ago, Insider said:

Are you suggesting that the lockdown will be for the next 6 months? 

For the record (in case you don’t know) the breeding season doesn’t start until 1 September and that’s 6 months away.  

Oh and by the way Leggy, can you tell me how Systema was classified as an essential business as that one has got me beat. I thought that they made plastic containers to keep your lunch in, and they are certainly not needed now.

Sistema closed  down after a Worksafe visit last Thursday and workers are home in lockdown on full pay for the duration of the lock down as I understand though how they could have claimed to be an essential business in the first place has me beat too.

I'm hopeful we won't be in lockdown for 6 months but I think 8-12 weeks is possible. It's really anybody's guess isn't it but whether alert levels have dropped to anything like what would be necessary for a somewhat near normal operation of the breeding season in September has to at least be in some doubt imo.