winx21

dean mckenzie

49 posts in this topic

Will we look back in 50 years maybe 100 years as this the man who destroyed the once great industry of horse racing?

He continues to ignore the messara report and the will of the racing industry who want it implemented

what's he getting out of it? a 500k a year job for life? 

The current state of the TAB is even more reason for its out sourcing yet he disagrees

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bit bizarre.....Dean took the ultimate hospital pass.....the Messara report was airhead stuff anyway, orchestrated at short notice by Winston because he didn’t have a coherent racing policy and now proving to be largely inapplicable ......if you want to judge DM do it in a few years time 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, poundforpound said:

Bit bizarre.....Dean took the ultimate hospital pass.....the Messara report was airhead stuff anyway, orchestrated at short notice by Winston because he didn’t have a coherent racing policy and now proving to be largely inapplicable ......if you want to judge DM do it in a few years time 

I suggest you ignore idiotic posts like the lead one above. As you would say , dont give them oxygen. Its pretty clear that without racing and sports you have no income no matter who is running the show.

 

Greg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, poundforpound said:

Why did he accept the pass ? or why was it ( IMO ) a hospital pass ?

Only he knows the answer to that although insiders tell me he was shoulder tapped by WP.

On another front Happy Birthday  . I'm sure you will find some way of celebrating

 

Greg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, poundforpound said:

Bit bizarre.....Dean took the ultimate hospital pass.....the Messara report was airhead stuff anyway, orchestrated at short notice by Winston because he didn’t have a coherent racing policy and now proving to be largely inapplicable ......if you want to judge DM do it in a few years time 

"largely inapplicable"...…….I disagree Leo.

The report had plenty of accurate substance to it and what was needed was strong leadership to implement the recommended changes.

I would have paid V'landys whatever he wanted to lead the team (there is no one in NZ capable IMO) to get things changed and sure, he would have steam rolled over some and ruffled plenty of egos along the way, but that is what is needed. Sort out the bloody mess we are well and truly ensconced in.

Dean doesn't have the experience or the battle hardened persona to do the job, and that is not a criticism of the man himself.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, poundforpound said:

Bit bizarre.....Dean took the ultimate hospital pass.....the Messara report was airhead stuff anyway, orchestrated at short notice by Winston because he didn’t have a coherent racing policy and now proving to be largely inapplicable ......if you want to judge DM do it in a few years time 

P4p 2 questions for you...

Should racing keep there IP or tab own it?

Should tab be outsourced to TABCORP for instance and whole lot of gravytrainers lose there jobs at wellington?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, winx21 said:

P4p 2 questions for you...

Should racing keep there IP or tab own it?

Should tab be outsourced to TABCORP for instance and whole lot of gravytrainers lose there jobs at wellington?

 

I don’t have sufficient understanding of the second question to comment.

Re Q1, if racing signed their IP away then no, if however they haven’t signed it away as some part of an NZRB / RITA broadcasting contract then clearly the industry owns it ....but don’t you need a partner to sell it for you ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like I said in another post which got no response.....OUTSOURCE to TABCORP (betting) and SKY (communications).

Both public companies accountable to shareholders which NZ badly needs.

What do we have to loose. 

As John Messara said ....start again with a blank piece of paper and rewrite the rules and policies to suit now and the future.

Brian De Lore in the Optimist has now clarified that long debated question as to who owns the TAB  .......the CLUBS.

This makes one hell of a difference as to how that blank piece of paper is compiled.

Read the following facts from Brian Delores recent article in the Optimist which I have done a cut and paste from.

 Ivan W.Mc Nicholl 021679639

Breeder. Owner and Punter. Wellington

 

 

The September 1950s publication that says the TAB was the concept of The New Zealand Racing Conference and the New Zealand Harness Conference and was underwritten by the race clubs of New Zealand.

The document sets out the formation of the TAB – it’s dated 20th September 1950. It clearly states that the New Zealand Racing Conference and the New Zealand Trotting Conference came together to start the TAB and that the start-up costs were underwritten by the racing clubs of New Zealand.

Racing has said this anecdotally for years, but to see it in writing is a big deal – it’s proof the codes and the clubs own the TAB and that the tail has been wagging the dog for years, and that now needs to change. The document is 70-years-old, but unless a subsequent paper exists which cedes the ownership to the Government (and none exists), racing is the rightful owner.

The beautiful thing is it makes the proposed legislation of the Racing Reform Bill redundant. The Bill at its first reading can be summarised as a paper that took away all of racing’s rights and decision making, stole the IP, provided the Minister with the eternal right of interference and control, and opened the door for sports to come in and be a partner in the business at no cost to them. It did nothing to improve racing.

TAB-page-20-1024x576.png

Ownership of the TAB means that racing can, with pride and a significant degree of scorn towards the pretenders, hold up its middle finger to all that nonsense and say, ‘we’ll have back what’s ours, thank you very much.’

The Transport and Infrastructure Select Committee had a meeting yesterday with the PCO (Parliamentary Counsel Office) to initiate the Bills rewriting, which is expected to incorporate something like 120 changes and became a document far more acceptable to the needs of racing.

TAB-pbjects-of-scheme-1024x399.jpg

The second reading of the Racing Reform Bill could now be by mid to late April – that’s if Covid-19 hasn’t closed down parliament by that time?

 

 
  •  
  •  
  •  

 

  1.  

  2.  
    1. I understand the TAB is a body corporate, but it should be reclassified as a private company which would allow the codes to negotiate their IP as they see fit

The good news: the codes own the TAB!
The bad news: the TAB is broke!

by Brian de Lore
Published 20th March 2020

Today’s stuff.co.nz article blaming the coronavirus for RITA having to go to the Government, cap in hand, for a cash hand-out to save the TAB is yet another blatant example of attempting to pull the wool over the eyes of racing’s long-suffering stakeholders.

RITA is today saying it needs a Government bail-out to alleviate a projected $14 million loss through sporting event cancellations and a $3.8 million error they made from offering bonus bets, but the truth of the matter is that the TAB was broke before coronavirus cancelled most sports.

It brings to mind that famous quote from American politician Rahm Emanuel: “You never let a serious crisis go to waste. And what I mean by that it’s an opportunity to do things you think you could not do before.”

Coronavirus has thrown RITA a life-line excuse – or they think it has. It will also become a matter of fact the yet to be released half-year result (ending January 2020) will show RITA was about $4 million behind budget and regardless of the Covid-19 explosion worldwide was heading for another disastrous end of year result.

In the SOI (Statement Of Intent) RITA said: “Net profit before distributions for the 2019/20 financial year is budgeted at $165.8 million, an increase of $29.1 million (+21.3%) on the net profit before distributions for 2018/19 of $136.7 million. It is underpinned by a combination of revenue growth including full-year benefits from the new Fixed Odds Betting platform, recovery in elite betting activity, growth in gaming and other key revenue initiatives, and a reduction in operating expenses.”

The $165.8 million is a pipedream and is now likely to be closer to $130 million

That appeared on the RITA website on 12/11/19. The $165.8 million is a pipedream and is now likely to be closer to $130 million; a budget-miss result of something like $35 million – it’s inevitable the TAB will soon announce stakes money decreases because it’s hard to see the Government fronting with any cash.

The reason it gets worse between now and year’s end is because the RITA budget took into account increased profits from two new sport betting options introduced from February, which included something called ‘hockey stick.’  But it hasn’t happened and now with sport cancelled the budget falls into the ‘miss by a mile’ category.

The other thing about this story is that it reeks of stage-management by RITA. How else could this story have gone to Stuff had it not been sent in a press release to the media website or a Stuff staff reporter had not received an invitation to attend?

Stephen Henry: Coronavirus is threatening to bring down the TAB, which has asked for a cash injection from the Government so it can keep operating.

In the story, it said: “Coronavirus is threatening to bring down the TAB, which has asked for a cash injection from the Government so it can keep operating.

“It’s serious enough that we have briefed Government today on what it means for us and how they can help, and that includes injecting cash into the business so we can continue to operate.

“Henry told stunned workers that everything was being done to minimise its operating costs, including:

* Using fewer cameras at race meetings, doing away with Trackside presenters on course, sending fewer production staff, and not operating betting totes.
* Cutting a wide range of expenses like travel and overtime – “we should have cut the sausage rolls today.”

Chief Operating Officer Stephen Henry quoted above has been part of the leadership team for a considerable period and coincidentally was with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs with John Allen before arriving at NZRB – not long after John Allen made the shift.

Everyone in racing should be offended by the Henry joke about saving the sausage rolls

Everyone in racing should be offended by the Henry joke about saving the sausage rolls when he has been part of the NZRB gravy-train that over two-and-a-half years ago was earmarked for ‘urgent review of the operating costs.’

Needless to say, that review never happened, and Henry remains one of six in the RITA leadership team on a $300,000/year or above salary, and the costs of RITA according to the last annual report was $211 million. Also, Henry mentioned saving travel expenses – that shouldn’t be too difficult given the same annual report says they have been spending $54,000 a week on travel and accommodation.

A decent CEO could have gone into NZRB/RITA at any stage in recent history and slashed the costs, but no one in power has displayed either the know-how or the appetite to do it, or both. John Allen was politically appointed, and his tenure cost the industry $200 million when you consider the cost of building the FOB was $50 million and the on-going commitments to pay Paddy Power and Open Bet for five and 10-year terms.

Henry’s cost-cutting is too little, too late, and his plea to the Government for a hand-out is certain to get some eyes rolling at the Beehive

Henry’s cost-cutting is too little, too late, and his plea to the Government for a hand-out is certain to get some eyes rolling at the Beehive. If three years ago, we’d had a CEO saving just 10 percent per annum of costs – a very achievable target – today we would be $64 million better off.

Just 10 percent per annum for three years and racing would not owe the ANZ Bank $35 plus million and wouldn’t be asking the Government to bail-out an institution that is now flat broke. But the thing that racing can say to the Government is that “you have been making all the appointments and this gravy-train is full of ex-Foreign Affairs and Post Office employees – so it’s mostly your fault.’  

Since NZRB finished and RITA arrived, the fortunes of racing have continued to decline. Racing was let-down by the failure of RITA to put a big broom through the management and start with Messara’s blank sheet of paper. Nothing changed of any consequence which brought to mind Einstein’s definition of insanity – ‘doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.’

That definition is now a cliché in racing. Dean McKenzie replaced John Allen in January, but on appearances, he looks to have become part of their team rather than making any waves with the introduction of an alternative style of leadership to turn the tide. RITA’s submission to the Select Committee was a massive disappointment to the industry, and McKenzie’s decision to leave the building immediately afterwards and not listen to the three-code submission was rightly viewed with some derision.

Information received today tells a different story to the $3.8 million error on bonus bets that Hendry is claiming. And that is, it wasn’t an error but involves some creative accounting that requires an independent investigation. The word of description was ‘smokescreen.’

The original intention this morning wasn’t to write any of the material you have read above. The focus was intended to be a document entitled ‘NZ Racing and Trotting Conferences Off-Course Betting Scheme,’ which came into my possession about three weeks ago. It’s possibly the most important paper for New Zealand racing’s future if indeed it can survive the immediate issues of coronavirus, insolvency, and the prospect of racing closing for a period.

The September 1950s publication that says the TAB was the concept of The New Zealand Racing Conference and the New Zealand Harness Conference and was underwritten by the race clubs of New Zealand.

The good news: the codes own the TAB!
The bad news: the TAB is broke!

 

Coronavirus has thrown RITA a life-line excuse – or they think it has. It will also become a matter of fact the yet to be released half-year result (ending January 2020) will show RITA was about $4 million behind budget and regardless of the Covid-19 explosion worldwide was heading for another disastrous end of year result.

In the SOI (Statement Of Intent) RITA said: “Net profit before distributions for the 2019/20 financial year is budgeted at $165.8 million, an increase of $29.1 million (+21.3%) on the net profit before distributions for 2018/19 of $136.7 million. It is underpinned by a combination of revenue growth including full-year benefits from the new Fixed Odds Betting platform, recovery in elite betting activity, growth in gaming and other key revenue initiatives, and a reduction in operating expenses.”

The $165.8 million is a pipedream and is now likely to be closer to $130 million

That appeared on the RITA website on 12/11/19. The $165.8 million is a pipedream and is now likely to be closer to $130 million; a budget-miss result of something like $35 million – it’s inevitable the TAB will soon announce stakes money decreases because it’s hard to see the Government fronting with any cash.

The reason it gets worse between now and year’s end is because the RITA budget took into account increased profits from two new sport betting options introduced from February, which included something called ‘hockey stick.’  But it hasn’t happened and now with sport cancelled the budget falls into the ‘miss by a mile’ category.

The other thing about this story is that it reeks of stage-management by RITA. How else could this story have gone to Stuff had it not been sent in a press release to the media website or a Stuff staff reporter had not received an invitation to attend?

Stephen Henry: Coronavirus is threatening to bring down the TAB, which has asked for a cash injection from the Government so it can keep operating.

In the story, it said: “Coronavirus is threatening to bring down the TAB, which has asked for a cash injection from the Government so it can keep operating.

“It’s serious enough that we have briefed Government today on what it means for us and how they can help, and that includes injecting cash into the business so we can continue to operate.

“Henry told stunned workers that everything was being done to minimise its operating costs, including:

* Using fewer cameras at race meetings, doing away with Trackside presenters on course, sending fewer production staff, and not operating betting totes.
* Cutting a wide range of expenses like travel and overtime – “we should have cut the sausage rolls today.”

Chief Operating Officer Stephen Henry quoted above has been part of the leadership team for a considerable period and coincidentally was with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs with John Allen before arriving at NZRB – not long after John Allen made the shift.

Everyone in racing should be offended by the Henry joke about saving the sausage rolls

Everyone in racing should be offended by the Henry joke about saving the sausage rolls when he has been part of the NZRB gravy-train that over two-and-a-half years ago was earmarked for ‘urgent review of the operating costs.’

Needless to say, that review never happened, and Henry remains one of six in the RITA leadership team on a $300,000/year or above salary, and the costs of RITA according to the last annual report was $211 million. Also, Henry mentioned saving travel expenses – that shouldn’t be too difficult given the same annual report says they have been spending $54,000 a week on travel and accommodation.

A decent CEO could have gone into NZRB/RITA at any stage in recent history and slashed the costs, but no one in power has displayed either the know-how or the appetite to do it, or both. John Allen was politically appointed, and his tenure cost the industry $200 million when you consider the cost of building the FOB was $50 million and the on-going commitments to pay Paddy Power and Open Bet for five and 10-year terms.

Henry’s cost-cutting is too little, too late, and his plea to the Government for a hand-out is certain to get some eyes rolling at the Beehive

Henry’s cost-cutting is too little, too late, and his plea to the Government for a hand-out is certain to get some eyes rolling at the Beehive. If three years ago, we’d had a CEO saving just 10 percent per annum of costs – a very achievable target – today we would be $64 million better off.

Just 10 percent per annum for three years and racing would not owe the ANZ Bank $35 plus million and wouldn’t be asking the Government to bail-out an institution that is now flat broke. But the thing that racing can say to the Government is that “you have been making all the appointments and this gravy-train is full of ex-Foreign Affairs and Post Office employees – so it’s mostly your fault.’  

Since NZRB finished and RITA arrived, the fortunes of racing have continued to decline. Racing was let-down by the failure of RITA to put a big broom through the management and start with Messara’s blank sheet of paper. Nothing changed of any consequence which brought to mind Einstein’s definition of insanity – ‘doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.’

That definition is now a cliché in racing. Dean McKenzie replaced John Allen in January, but on appearances, he looks to have become part of their team rather than making any waves with the introduction of an alternative style of leadership to turn the tide. RITA’s submission to the Select Committee was a massive disappointment to the industry, and McKenzie’s decision to leave the building immediately afterwards and not listen to the three-code submission was rightly viewed with some derision.

Information received today tells a different story to the $3.8 million error on bonus bets that Hendry is claiming. And that is, it wasn’t an error but involves some creative accounting that requires an independent investigation. The word of description was ‘smokescreen.’

The original intention this morning wasn’t to write any of the material you have read above. The focus was intended to be a document entitled ‘NZ Racing and Trotting Conferences Off-Course Betting Scheme,’ which came into my possession about three weeks ago. It’s possibly the most important paper for New Zealand racing’s future if indeed it can survive the immediate issues of coronavirus, insolvency, and the prospect of racing closing for a period.

TAB-statement-on-doc-1024x391.jpg

The document sets out the formation of the TAB – it’s dated 20th September 1950. It clearly states that the New Zealand Racing Conference and the New Zealand Trotting Conference came together to start the TAB and that the start-up costs were underwritten by the racing clubs of New Zealand.

Racing has said this anecdotally for years, but to see it in writing is a big deal – it’s proof the codes and the clubs own the TAB and that the tail has been wagging the dog for years, and that now needs to change. The document is 70-years-old, but unless a subsequent paper exists which cedes the ownership to the Government (and none exists), racing is the rightful owner.

The beautiful thing is it makes the proposed legislation of the Racing Reform Bill redundant. The Bill at its first reading can be summarised as a paper that took away all of racing’s rights and decision making, stole the IP, provided the Minister with the eternal right of interference and control, and opened the door for sports to come in and be a partner in the business at no cost to them. It did nothing to improve racing.

TAB-page-20-1024x576.png

Ownership of the TAB means that racing can, with pride and a significant degree of scorn towards the pretenders, hold up its middle finger to all that nonsense and say, ‘we’ll have back what’s ours, thank you very much.’

The Transport and Infrastructure Select Committee had a meeting yesterday with the PCO (Parliamentary Counsel Office) to initiate the Bills rewriting, which is expected to incorporate something like 120 changes and became a document far more acceptable to the needs of racing.

TAB-pbjects-of-scheme-1024x399.jpg

The second reading of the Racing Reform Bill could now be by mid to late April – that’s if Covid-19 hasn’t closed down parliament by that time?

To read the entire Stuff article entitled Coronavirus: TAB in crisis over sports cancellations, click here: https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/health/coronavirus/120423822/coronavirus-tab-in-crisis-over-sports-cancellations?cid=facebook.post&fbclid=IwAR06SbVv7X_g6OVHDJyJC5X-FRzjhdzsia-J26iG5uOjWgcXfiR42_s2xNg

 

 
 
  •  

his, RITA has no money coming in after Wednesday but has an operation that costs over $10 million a week to run – that’s RITA without considering the codes. They owe the bank a minimum of $35 million, possibly $40 million. They will have to go into statutory management, no other choice that I can see. With no racing, it’s a chance to get rid of everyone and reduce to a skeleton staff – that’s what should happen. I have just withdrawn my $152.65 from my TAB account because I don’t want to lose it to the ANZ.

  1. 2)
  • get and regardless of the Covid-19 explosion worldwide was heading for another disastrous end of year result.

In the SOI (Statement Of Intent) RITA said: “Net profit before distributions for the 2019/20 financial year is budgeted at $165.8 million, an increase of $29.1 million (+21.3%) on the net profit before distributions for 2018/19 of $136.7 million. It is underpinned by a combination of revenue growth including full-year benefits from the new Fixed Odds Betting platform, recovery in elite betting activity, growth in gaming and other key revenue initiatives, and a reduction in operating expenses.”

The $165.8 million is a pipedream and is now likely to be closer to $130 million

That appeared on the RITA website on 12/11/19. The $165.8 million is a pipedream and is now likely to be closer to $130 million; a budget-miss result of something like $35 million – it’s inevitable the TAB will soon announce stakes money decreases because it’s hard to see the Government fronting with any cash.

The reason it gets worse between now and year’s end is because the RITA budget took into account increased profits from two new sport betting options introduced from February, which included something called ‘hockey stick.’  But it hasn’t happened and now with sport cancelled the budget falls into the ‘miss by a mile’ category.

The other thing about this story is that it reeks of stage-management by RITA. How else could this story have gone to Stuff had it not been sent in a press release to the media website or a Stuff staff reporter had not received an invitation to attend?

Stephen Henry: Coronavirus is threatening to bring down the TAB, which has asked for a cash injection from the Government so it can keep operating.

In the story, it said: “Coronavirus is threatening to bring down the TAB, which has asked for a cash injection from the Government so it can keep operating.

“It’s serious enough that we have briefed Government today on what it means for us and how they can help, and that includes injecting cash into the business so we can continue to operate.

“Henry told stunned workers that everything was being done to minimise its operating costs, including:

* Using fewer cameras at race meetings, doing away with Trackside presenters on course, sending fewer production staff, and not operating betting totes.
* Cutting a wide range of expenses like travel and overtime – “we should have cut the sausage rolls today.”

Chief Operating Officer Stephen Henry quoted above has been part of the leadership team for a considerable period and coincidentally was with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs with John Allen before arriving at NZRB – not long after John Allen made the shift.

Everyone in racing should be offended by the Henry joke about saving the sausage rolls

Everyone in racing should be offended by the Henry joke about saving the sausage rolls when he has been part of the NZRB gravy-train that over two-and-a-half years ago was earmarked for ‘urgent review of the operating costs.’

Needless to say, that review never happened, and Henry remains one of six in the RITA leadership team on a $300,000/year or above salary, and the costs of RITA according to the last annual report was $211 million. Also, Henry mentioned saving travel expenses – that shouldn’t be too difficult given the same annual report says they have been spending $54,000 a week on travel and accommodation.

A decent CEO could have gone into NZRB/RITA at any stage in recent history and slashed the costs, but no one in power has displayed either the know-how or the appetite to do it, or both. John Allen was politically appointed, and his tenure cost the industry $200 million when you consider the cost of building the FOB was $50 million and the on-going commitments to pay Paddy Power and Open Bet for five and 10-year terms.

Henry’s cost-cutting is too little, too late, and his plea to the Government for a hand-out is certain to get some eyes rolling at the Beehive

Henry’s cost-cutting is too little, too late, and his plea to the Government for a hand-out is certain to get some eyes rolling at the Beehive. If three years ago, we’d had a CEO saving just 10 percent per annum of costs – a very achievable target – today we would be $64 million better off.

Just 10 percent per annum for three years and racing would not owe the ANZ Bank $35 plus million and wouldn’t be asking the Government to bail-out an institution that is now flat broke. But the thing that racing can say to the Government is that “you have been making all the appointments and this gravy-train is full of ex-Foreign Affairs and Post Office employees – so it’s mostly your fault.’  

Since NZRB finished and RITA arrived, the fortunes of racing have continued to decline. Racing was let-down by the failure of RITA to put a big broom through the management and start with Messara’s blank sheet of paper. Nothing changed of any consequence which brought to mind Einstein’s definition of insanity – ‘doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.’

That definition is now a cliché in racing. Dean McKenzie replaced John Allen in January, but on appearances, he looks to have become part of their team rather than making any waves with the introduction of an alternative style of leadership to turn the tide. RITA’s submission to the Select Committee was a massive disappointment to the industry, and McKenzie’s decision to leave the building immediately afterwards and not listen to the three-code submission was rightly viewed with some derision.

Information received today tells a different story to the $3.8 million error on bonus bets that Hendry is claiming. And that is, it wasn’t an error but involves some creative accounting that requires an independent investigation. The word of description was ‘smokescreen.’

The original intention this morning wasn’t to write any of the material you have read above. The focus was intended to be a document entitled ‘NZ Racing and Trotting Conferences Off-Course Betting Scheme,’ which came into my possession about three weeks ago. It’s possibly the most important paper for New Zealand racing’s future if indeed it can survive the immediate issues of coronavirus, insolvency, and the prospect of racing closing for a period.

TAB-statement-on-doc-1024x391.jpg

The document sets out the formation of the TAB – it’s dated 20th September 1950. It clearly states that the New Zealand Racing Conference and the New Zealand Trotting Conference came together to start the TAB and that the start-up costs were underwritten by the racing clubs of New Zealand.

Racing has said this anecdotally for years, but to see it in writing is a big deal – it’s proof the codes and the clubs own the TAB and that the tail has been wagging the dog for years, and that now needs to change. The document is 70-years-old, but unless a subsequent paper exists which cedes the ownership to the Government (and none exists), racing is the rightful owner.

The beautiful thing is it makes the proposed legislation of the Racing Reform Bill redundant. The Bill at its first reading can be summarised as a paper that took away all of racing’s rights and decision making, stole the IP, provided the Minister with the eternal right of interference and control, and opened the door for sports to come in and be a partner in the business at no cost to them. It did nothing to improve racing.

TAB-page-20-1024x576.png

Ownership of the TAB means that racing can, with pride and a significant degree of scorn towards the pretenders, hold up its middle finger to all that nonsense and say, ‘we’ll have back what’s ours, thank you very much.’

The Transport and Infrastructure Select Committee had a meeting yesterday with the PCO (Parliamentary Counsel Office) to initiate the Bills rewriting, which is expected to incorporate something like 120 changes and became a document far more acceptable to the needs of racing.

TAB-pbjects-of-scheme-1024x399.jpg

The second reading of the Racing Reform Bill could now be by mid to late April – that’s if Covid-19 hasn’t closed down parliament by that time?

To read the entire Stuff article entitled Coronavirus: TAB in crisis over sports cancellations, click here: https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/health/coronavirus/120423822/coronavirus-tab-in-crisis-over-sports-cancellations?cid=facebook.post&fbclid=IwAR06SbVv7X_g6OVHDJyJC5X-FRzjhdzsia-J26iG5uOjWgcXfiR42_s2xNg

 

 
Sharing is caring!
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

10 thoughts on “The good news and the bad news”

  1. e57911b10002c6bd47920ed061839ddb?s=42&d=Henrietta Bedfordsays:

    What criminal fraudulent behaviour.
    However the people who are really to blame are the people who gave thém thé jobs .
    In most cases you only had to see them or listen to them speak to know that they were either not equipped for the job, or understood nothing about the job, or cared not at all about the job.
    What a tragedy for NZ and for an Industry that employs many thousands of people, an Industry that creates big exports and is often a World leader.

    1. d65eef90cde26890d0fe750f5d1693a8?s=42&d=Adrian Stanleysays:

      I would love to go through all the staff in the tab and Nztr, look into their their rolls. Look at salary’s and general exspences for the work they do.
      I think it could be cut by 50 million straight away.
      This should of been done years ago

      1. Good observation, Adrian. Consider this, RITA has no money coming in after Wednesday but has an operation that costs over $10 million a week to run – that’s RITA without considering the codes. They owe the bank a minimum of $35 million, possibly $40 million. They will have to go into statutory management, no other choice that I can see. With no racing, it’s a chance to get rid of everyone and reduce to a skeleton staff – that’s what should happen. I have just withdrawn my $152.65 from my TAB account because I don’t want to lose it to the ANZ.

  2. 80a3c800f84f8db254216fb37784a371?s=42&d=Kevin Rooneysays:

    Yet another example of the pathetic crap bags of beaucracy who actually think they are important to the industry ie Stephen Henry crysaallised in their little glass towers oblivious to the hard working people at grass roots.trainers ,track riders stablehands who get up at 3am to make the sport happen Having been a HANDS ON dairy farmer for 40 yrs I know and totally understand the rigours of staying in an industry where most of the time the CEOs and their co horts who have never got their hands dirty or got out of bed before 6am have any realisation what drives the industry Keep at the bastards Nihil Bastardum Carborundam

  3. 952928a3a09f4a73beaf8c466a1e8411?s=42&d=Chris Luonisays:

    New Zealand as we knew it on 1 February will never be the same again for some time.
    The 1950 document you have unveiled should also be available in the Parliamentary archives so let’s place the onus on the government to prove its non existence.

    Well done with this exposure and it is a major disappointment that many of our racing leaders and their organisations did not have any idea that this legal document existed. It should be have been considered like the statutory doxs of a company which are filed on record with the Companies Office. A question?
    What type of entity is the TAB? Eg a company, an incorporated society etc.

    1. I understand the TAB is a body corporate, but it should be reclassified as a private company which would allow the codes to negotiate their IP as they see fit

      1. 952928a3a09f4a73beaf8c466a1e8411?s=42&d=Chris Luonisays:

        As the galloping and harness codes were the capital subscribers to the formation of the TAB in 1950 are they the only owners of the TAB.?

  4. 8c80f8fbd8cef2278e05b55d5e773216?s=42&d=The Omaha kidsays:

    Well done Sherlock …

  5. Can’t believe this great sport of racing has been hijacked by these fat cats who have sucked it dry.Fully support what Kevin Rooney said they would never have got their hands dirty.Well done Brian on your work which has shown up a lot of pigs in a trough.How McKenzie got top job is beyond me following his past performances.

    1. Pigs in the trough is a good description. Couldn’t agree more. The Minister now needs to act quickly in the best interests of racing – this will test him, but I’m not holding my breath!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

COMMENT

NAME *

EMAIL *

WEBSITE

Search for:SEARCH

RECENT POSTS

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tyhink he/she is referring to the current version of the racing act currently before parliament. The bill stated thal all racing IP would be owned by the TAB. This raised many objections and was likely to be changed when the reviewed version of the Racing act was presented to Parliament. Unfortunately with what's happening with the covid 19 epedemic the whole procedure has been put on hold

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm surprised this hasn't elicited more comment (or have I missed a thread somewhere)?

Home

Industry update from RITA's Executive Chair, Dean McKenzie

24 March 2020
HARNESS9_2.jpg

All of us can identify with a certain day or event in their lives that they can relate to as life changing. It’s not a term that is used lightly and in my life, bar meeting my best friend and subsequently marrying her, and the time I have enjoyed with my two boys (now young men) there was, given I have lived in Christchurch most of the last 20 years, three such events.

The first was September 11, we all know where we were that day. The second was 12.51pm on February 22, 2011 when a magnitude 6.2 earthquake struck Christchurch and the third was March 15, again in Christchurch, when our innocence as a country was destroyed with the Christchurch Mosque shootings.

Event number four came Thursday March 12 when I had just come out of a RITA board meeting to find the NBA had pulled the pin on their 2020 season, the trigger point for a 24 hours I will never forget. Virtually every major sports competition followed, joining those already severely impacted by COVID-19 and thus creating a giant size hole in the TAB’s ability to fund the racing and sports industries in New Zealand.

And to put it mildly, it's only been a downward slide since then, both internationally and in our own country, with not only the magnified threat to our health and wellbeing, but also a double whammy with the most significant economic shock we have ever seen.

Yesterday’s announcement from the Prime Minister provided a stark picture of the reality of the situation we are facing with all non-essential services effectively closed for at least a month and all indoor and outdoor activities off limits, including all racing and sport in New Zealand. Dealing with the economic reality of what we now face is a challenge for virtually every business and our industry is no different.

Even if the TAB had significant reserves tucked away for this (very) rainy day (as it once had a number of years ago earmarked for a potential equine influenza outbreak), I’m fairly certain it wouldn’t come close to solving all our troubles. It would have helped, no doubt, but the sheer tsunami of sh#t this event has thrown at us, is unprecedented.

Prior to yesterday’s announcement we had scrambled to fill the approximately 27% decrease in turnover from the obliteration of sports content but with the suspension of domestic racing, in effect, we’ve now lost about 75% of our content (if not more). While we continue to present whatever racing is available on Trackside (with a radio simulcast on Trackside Radio) and provide as much product as we can on TAB.co.nz, the reality is when we are not selling bets, we’re not generating any revenue, and therefore we are losing money every day.

Our immediate focus at RITA has been to inject whatever content we can, such as offering esports for the first time and reducing our expenditure as much as possible. We’ve peeled back costs, put in a limited production on Trackside, suspended contracts where possible and we continue to look at every other aspect of our operations to identify cost savings.

We know the Government has moved quickly to provide some certainty to businesses, including those who derive a livelihood from racing. We encourage you to find out more about the financial support available to racing organisations at COVID-19.govt.nz. The website includes information about a wage subsidy scheme, leave and self-isolation support and business cash flow and tax measures. If you’re not sure what assistance may be available, you should talk with your relevant industry organisation or call the free government helpline on 0800 779 997 (8am–1am, 7 days a week).

We need to deal with this change by quickly adapting, innovating, looking after each other and working together. The racing codes and the TAB are working closely to do everything we can to keep the wheels of commerce turning for the industry and we all play a part in keeping our events going. Without the commitment and dedication of every single one of us, we won’t even have a chance of succeeding. For all who have already made a significant effort to keep racing going as long as we did, I personally thank you for that.

Things are literally moving in real time at present, as is clearly demonstrated by the last 24 hours. The industry has faced challenging times before and we have certainly had an eventful last couple of years but nothing is likely to stretch us more as the immediate future. We are presently talking with all the people you would expect us to be talking to, with the aim of mitigating the downside of what we are facing. We're working closely with the Government to highlight the impact on our industry and presenting options on how the industry responds. These conversations are taking place daily, but we know we are not on our own in seeking support from the Government and we know there is no magic bullet.

We appreciate our industry will want a level of certainty as soon as possible, but that will take time, so please be patient as we work through this. We are working closely with the Codes and meeting on a daily basis to explore what steps we can collectively take in response to the impact of COVID-19. As an industry we have some mighty challenges ahead, that is for certain, but by working together we do give ourselves the best chance of coming out the other side.
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, poundforpound said:

Bit bizarre.....Dean took the ultimate hospital pass.....the Messara report was airhead stuff anyway, orchestrated at short notice by Winston because he didn’t have a coherent racing policy and now proving to be largely inapplicable ......if you want to judge DM do it in a few years time 

Disagree P4P.

I think he thought he had that substance, clearly not. The DIA ran him over and minced him and the others on the RITA board capitulated to their beliefs as they (the DIA) have believed that they have had control of gaming and gambling in NZ for decades. That’s the reality of it and plenty of submissions against the draft act recognised the DIA process of setting things up for themselves. Mind you, most of us were “boomers” with some wisdom of experience of bureaucracy at work, recognised what was trying to be generated.

The ACT will be changed, hopefully to a position that is agreeable to most, but we need to keep the Welly bureaucracy away from the control aspect as they have wasted our reserves, sold the building and implemented a salvage process that was unthought of 10 years ago.

Keep Safe

Cheers

John

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Even if the TAB had significant reserves tucked away for this (very) rainy day (as it once had a number of years ago earmarked for a potential equine influenza outbreak), I’m fairly certain it wouldn’t come close to solving all our troubles. It would have helped, no doubt, but the sheer tsunami of sh#t this event has thrown at us, is unprecedented."

He said it as it is, this sounds ominous!!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When a new captain of any large business  comes in,what is the first thing they ruthlessly slash into before the next financial year/shareholders meeting? Reductions in out goings!So why not here?Or is this just the gravy  train?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I cant believe this hasn't generated more discussion on here..

someone finally come up with some evidence who owns the tab and they been looking for a while... especially tau henere

Surely this gives racing and trots control over what happens even if the tab is broke.

Someone like p4p who clearly is a intelligent guy can see the DIA and political appointments is the main reason why the industry is screwed

The messara report implemented was the path to stop this and yet McKenzie vela etc don't want this to happen??

Why isn't someone like david ellis with his media profile not speaking out in support for the messara report more vocally?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When a new captain of any large business  comes in,what is the first thing they ruthlessly slash into before the next financial year/shareholders meeting? Reductions in out goings!So why not here?Or is this just gravy the train?

 

Exactly! why has this never happened with racing?

only reason I can think of is political appointments,they get the job as long as no one gets the sack....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, poundforpound said:

Bit bizarre.....Dean took the ultimate hospital pass.....the Messara report was airhead stuff anyway, orchestrated at short notice by Winston because he didn’t have a coherent racing policy and now proving to be largely inapplicable ......if you want to judge DM do it in a few years time 

It wasn't a hospital pass...it was step towards self glorification but unfortunately that team (RITA) fell well short of the mark. They had a blue print in the form of the Messara report, who it must be said has already demonstrated that he has some skills and the courage required, to create positive change for the racing industry. You don't need to agree with everything in the report, but there is enough meat on the bone to have direction. The unfortunate result from RITA's efforts is such that there is very little in the proposed Bill that can be recognised as being the advice given by Messara.

I for one, don't agree with the appointment of a single entity to create, market and distribute the content of NZ racing. I am a supporter of affiliate models where multiple affiliates can distribute the content. This is an open source solution, which is where commerce is moving, as the on-line and virtual tools become developed. If, for example, we gave the rights to a very big conglomerate that had processes and governance that its directors considered risky, or in conflict with its current activities, then we may not see the development of betting assets that are relevant in the future. So by having the flexibility to embrace these modern technologies, which though risky, eventually provide favourable results, then we must have the opportunity to have a go. I had a proper crack at setting up a lottery based on horse racing. Did it properly, paid out the largest ever dividend in UK betting history. Got closed down by UK government because they wanted Betfred to have the tote monopoly. In NZ they didn't do it because the Lotteries Commission complained that it would compete with the lotteries. Who suffered and continues to suffer? Racing.

In 1996 I sat next to Bert Black over dinner. He was creating Betfair. The result was Betfair became a shareholder in us and we in Betfair. But prior to doing that I saw George Hickton (CEO of RIB) to try and get him to develop an exchange. . He wrote to me stating that the TAB didn't experiment with new technologies....and the rest is history.

This sort of thing has been happening for years. 

But back to RITA. That effort was an abomination. I was asked to post the four submissions that I prepared and submitted. They were simply commonsense. No rocket fuel there so how was it  that I could pick such gaping holes into the proposed legislation.....if you were promoting racing? And that's where I think the water became murky. This proposed Bill wasn't about promoting racing. It was about settling the account on behalf of sport. So what did Dean qualify for at the American Uni?....sport. I really like Dean but I struggled to understand how racing was left behind as much as it was in the proposed Bill.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There was a comment in DMcK’s Statement that read, “We’ve peeled back costs”. I wondered what this actually meant? We’ve reduced our costs by 15% saving $xm going forward? It’s a very vague statement. Unlike companies that say “ We will shut 100 of our most unprofitable shops Saving $xm in costs”. Flight Centre is an example. The message coming from Petone is quite vague.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Peeled back costs, well it was a banana, they have slipped on it's skin now, a right royal stuff up. I do feel all this crap started years ago, my main objection being the loss of free to air viewing. Of course they have many issues, but that was a banana moment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Berri,

You make a few good points but get away from the idea it was you trying to get TAB going with an Exchange. Derek Handley actually had a working portal called Feverpitch which OK may have been rudimentary but it was pretty good as a starter. The TAB turned him down.

It didn't register with me that McKenzie majored in Sport in USA. Thats quite vital information. On here the greatest cheerleader for McKenzie was P4P as he was for Michael Stiassny and Typhoon, John Allen and FOB (OpenBet) collectively thats quite a CV.

Unlike many of you I actually have the solution and presented it to the select Committee asking that it be kept confidential. In fact virtually overnight it could produce a $200m bonanza getting racing using McKenzie language "out of the sh#t" 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Berri said:

It wasn't a hospital pass...it was step towards self glorification but unfortunately that team (RITA) fell well short of the mark. They had a blue print in the form of the Messara report, who it must be said has already demonstrated that he has some skills and the courage required, to create positive change for the racing industry. You don't need to agree with everything in the report, but there is enough meat on the bone to have direction. The unfortunate result from RITA's efforts is such that there is very little in the proposed Bill that can be recognised as being the advice given by Messara.

I for one, don't agree with the appointment of a single entity to create, market and distribute the content of NZ racing. I am a supporter of affiliate models where multiple affiliates can distribute the content. This is an open source solution, which is where commerce is moving, as the on-line and virtual tools become developed. If, for example, we gave the rights to a very big conglomerate that had processes and governance that its directors considered risky, or in conflict with its current activities, then we may not see the development of betting assets that are relevant in the future. So by having the flexibility to embrace these modern technologies, which though risky, eventually provide favourable results, then we must have the opportunity to have a go. I had a proper crack at setting up a lottery based on horse racing. Did it properly, paid out the largest ever dividend in UK betting history. Got closed down by UK government because they wanted Betfred to have the tote monopoly. In NZ they didn't do it because the Lotteries Commission complained that it would compete with the lotteries. Who suffered and continues to suffer? Racing.

In 1996 I sat next to Bert Black over dinner. He was creating Betfair. The result was Betfair became a shareholder in us and we in Betfair. But prior to doing that I saw George Hickton (CEO of RIB) to try and get him to develop an exchange. . He wrote to me stating that the TAB didn't experiment with new technologies....and the rest is history.

This sort of thing has been happening for years. 

But back to RITA. That effort was an abomination. I was asked to post the four submissions that I prepared and submitted. They were simply commonsense. No rocket fuel there so how was it  that I could pick such gaping holes into the proposed legislation.....if you were promoting racing? And that's where I think the water became murky. This proposed Bill wasn't about promoting racing. It was about settling the account on behalf of sport. So what did Dean qualify for at the American Uni?....sport. I really like Dean but I struggled to understand how racing was left behind as much as it was in the proposed Bill.

Ah...George Hickton....there’s half your problem Berri. We’ve been employing people like him for yonks and wonder why we are where we are....:rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead