RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
talk

TAB to go tits up

34 minutes ago, mikenz said:

In reality they could easily have extended the sports section easily enough too I don't understand the running of it all but I do think the larger number of betting options on sport is a good idea but gee I'm all confused by it all,maybe the real problem is that New Zealand is possibly too smaller number of customers to justify cost,

Anyone in the world could have bet with them if they had a competitive product. Shit management was and stil is their problem. 

7 hours ago, poundforpound said:

Not sure about being gleeful, that’s not very nice, but you’d rightfully argue that if the industry has been living beyond its means then this is merely a symptom of mismanagement and failure to embrace a sound risk management policy, and the chickens coming home to roost 

A good shakeout might be timely anyway, get rid of most of the RIU ( 7 million there ) and all the dead wood at head office ... change the culture and rebuild a healthy, focused, lean mean industry driven by horse people 

Oh yeah!, and you kept praising John Allen and saying the FO fixed odds platform was going to be an interesting innovation. Some of us knew from day one it was announced it made no sense. OK you were apprehensive about the sports aspect but I haven't heard anything from you about the excessive salaries.

Now like sheep your "followers" saying how "forward thinking Leo is"  I think not.

Their latest innovation is dishlicker betting on the U.S.A.

I have often commented that if you see me betting on the greyhounds, take my car keys off me;  Because I am obviously motherless drunk.

Seriously though, people betting on American greyhounds should have a direct link to the Problem Gambling Foundation.

Their latest suggestion is e sport videos I watched them in a sports bar in Melbourne a couple of weeks ago, give me strength are they fcken serious, sadly they probably are - the Aussie will bet on anything and suits them but Kiwis no not for a moment 

They simply haven't a fcken clue - start talking to your customers muppets, I have been telling you that for 5 years -really is simple and I ain't on $600 grande - ask your customer what they want

3 hours ago, Phantom said:

Horse people got the TAB into this mess .Look at the makeup of the Board who hired that POS Glenda Hughes who hired John Allen etc etc. They need people with experience in the betting industry. But to be honest it's too late now, they are in debt up to their eyeballs having borrowed to build that piece of shit website,  they've sold Ellerslie and I assume Petone (?) and revenue is collapsing. Last one out turn out the lights. Congratulations to everyone involved. They were given a monopoly in a relatively affluent betting mad country and destroyed it in 25 years. Some achievement given how much $$ is being made by the big players in the industry.  

Ellerslie has been sold ?????

When the head of RITA was asked a a few months back what was the reason why three senior management flew over to Ireland to see Paddy Power at around 70k cost to the Industry and the reply back was that it never happened right then it was very obvious to a few that RITA never had a grip on what was actually going on and where money was getting spent, even though RITA informed the Industry they were in total control of management and expenditure.

Once people outside knew what had happened and RITA were clueless to it that was an indication it won't be long before it's "Lights Out'

Wonder if that little junket was coded in another expense by error :rcf-thinking-1:

4 hours ago, shaneMcAlister said:

The site needed an upgrade.  I was surprised it could not be done for less than $50M......or delayed when outsourcing options investigated.

The part that hurts is that the upgrade is SH1T.  And worse it has an annual licence of $20M.

They tried hard to show growth by giving away free bets....of course people would cherry pick these.

I have a feeling that the $3.2M manual adjustment will relate to the fact that if your free bet won, you could reuse ihe free bet again if you acted quickly......

I think you might find the picture is a bit more dire. Not only did it cost $50m+ but there is also an annual $17 license payment to be made for full support. Heard through the grape vine that all of this has not been made to date so the updates to the site haven't happened. It'll break before it gets better because we're minus sports betting revenue. If we were really smart we'd get the right people in to "refresh" the image and info and pop it into a vehicle so that people can bet on it internationally. Brittain, France Germany et al are struggling to get their racing going. A small opportunity for us if we were fast and smart. Got no money of course but let's get rid of the TAB workforce. Everyone else is doing it so why not? A good proportion of them have failed.

4 hours ago, Phantom said:

Anyone in the world could have bet with them if they had a competitive product. Shit management was and stil is their problem. 

Here is the fundamental flaw in TAB management. Shows how stupid they are.

They have employed people who know nothing about racing and wagering. So these people go about copying what other overseas businesses are doing. Overseas bookies have these bonus type promotions therefore "we can't go wrong there". WRONG. What these idiots have overlooked is these promotions unlike overseas bookies with only fixed odds offerings  actually drag punters away from tote betting and onto fixed odds betting. 

With the bonus bets being rather costly the whole exercise is in net term a big loss. Its got nothing to do with some coder being in error. ITS JUST PLAIN STUPIDITY!

3 hours ago, slam dunk said:

Oh yeah!, and you kept praising John Allen and saying the FO fixed odds platform was going to be an interesting innovation. Some of us knew from day one it was announced it made no sense. OK you were apprehensive about the sports aspect but I haven't heard anything from you about the excessive salaries.

Now like sheep your "followers" saying how "forward thinking Leo is"  I think not.

Correct

6 hours ago, Phantom said:

Horse people got the TAB into this mess .Look at the makeup of the Board who hired that POS Glenda Hughes who hired John Allen etc etc. They need people with experience in the betting industry. But to be honest it's too late now, they are in debt up to their eyeballs having borrowed to build that piece of shit website,  they've sold Ellerslie and I assume Petone (?) and revenue is collapsing. Last one out turn out the lights. Congratulations to everyone involved. They were given a monopoly in a relatively affluent betting mad country and destroyed it in 25 years. Some achievement given how much $$ is being made by the big players in the industry.  

What a crock of shit your first sentence is. NATIONAL and no one else appointed Glenda Hughes and John Allen. 

Horse people did not. 

Even Nationals greatest supporters [of which their are many on this site] wouldn't disagree would they, Poundforpound, Ted or Ohokaman?

34 minutes ago, Insider said:

What a crock of shit your first sentence is. NATIONAL and no one else appointed Glenda Hughes and John Allen. 

Horse people did not. 

Even Nationals greatest supporters [of which their are many on this site] wouldn't disagree would they, Poundforpound, Ted or Ohokaman?

THE MINISTER OF RACING Nathan Guy appointed Glenda Hughes as an independent chairman, and the NZRB appointed John Allen as its chief executive in November 2014. 

Apart from Hughes, the Board at the time comprised Mauro Barsi (greyhound rep), Alistair Ryan, Barry Brown (Wellington RC member), Graham Cooney (Standardbed owner and breeder), Rod Croon (standardbred owner, breeder and Auckland Trotting Club life member), Greg McCarthy (NZTRI board member). 

HORSE. (and greyhound). PEOPLE.

And seriously, INSIDER, after the absolute clusterfuck the NZRB have presided over the last six years, the thing that provokes your first comment on this thread is my statement that horse people got the industry into this mess? WTF?

1 minute ago, Peter R S said:

The knives are being sharpened as they should be- but first to go are the media people, administrators not yet!

Yeah I saw the first to be let go was Des Coppins. Never been a fan to be honest but not sure why his head was the first on the chopping block.

2 hours ago, Phantom said:

Yeah I saw the first to be let go was Des Coppins. Never been a fan to be honest but not sure why his head was the first on the chopping block.

WHAT !!!  Des Coppins is a brilliant broadcaster with a vast knowledge of racing in all its forms. When he was editor of Friday Flash at a relatively young age he was regarded as the best editor the Flash ever had.

I can see the pro sports TAB management are so dirty that sports betting has taken a hit they are making sure racing suffers. Just plain madness. 

Is Des Coppins Sunday talk back still on?

6 minutes ago, slam dunk said:

WHAT !!!  Des Coppins is a brilliant broadcaster with a vast knowledge of racing in all its forms. When he was editor of Friday Flash at a relatively young age he was regarded as the best editor the Flash ever had.

I can see the pro sports TAB management are so dirty that sports betting has taken a hit they are making sure racing suffers. Just plain madness. 

Is Des Coppins Sunday talk back still on?

Des has so much knowledge and has industry wide respect from the $1 E/W punter right through to the multi million dollar owner . What has brought this on ? 

Des has never asked management the hard questions not like Peter Early but can’t see they’d ditch him for his salary as he’d bring in far more   than what he’s paid I’d suspect. How many 100 k PA faceless norms are still employed by the NZRB ?