RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
newbie85

South Island Jumps Racing....

8 hours ago, newbie85 said:

Must be cancelled this year.

If jockeys can’t travel between Islands they can’t allow Jumps jockeys to do so and with only 2 based in South Island season is gone.

Months away yet, who knows what will happen in the interim, hope they're not, my fav time of racing, all booked Dec, don't wanna be in Ch-ch with no racing

On 3/19/2020 at 3:12 PM, Pam Robson said:

Wait and see.

It might not be necessary yet if this virus keeps galloping away.

I'm a bit out of touch but isn't this the hunts season. That means gatherings of people from a wide local area. It's also a training ground for a number of jumpers or a place to test jumping skills. If hunts don't happen thats another reason to view the jumping season as gone. Jumps races are not vital to betting turnover.

Its a no brainer, Cancel all jumping races for this season.

1 hour ago, Idolmite said:

All racing will be cancelled soon anyway, not just jumps, so you'll all have time to put your respective heads in a bucket......

I don't see the case for cancelling all racing just at the moment but carrying on jumps racing is crazy. Some trends may emerge like more farm trained gallopers and with all the resources fed into health services anything that could add to the burden will be vehemently opposes by the community.

17 minutes ago, slam dunk said:

I don't see the case for cancelling all racing just at the moment but carrying on jumps racing is crazy. Some trends may emerge like more farm trained gallopers and with all the resources fed into health services anything that could add to the burden will be vehemently opposes by the community.

The choice will be gone very soon , if it goes longer than Monday I'd be surprised . Racing needs to focus on feed supplies for horses, equine welfare  and welfare of all participants . Now is the time for those at the top to put the shoulder to the wheel for those not so well off , if that's done maybe something will be left at end to rebuild after this is all over .

Can SI jumps racing, it is toast - no horses no riders and Riccarton Puke has no interest

Flag it and move on, stop living an historical dream

Try and do something that may make a difference

Jumps racing SI is gone and industry participants have to get in the real world 

This post is about South Island jumps racing but my thoughts are towards North Island racing.

To get a horse ready to run 6400 metres of the Great Northern needs five months of slow build up.  So to get a horse ready for early September the work needs to start by early April at the latest.  But it would be disappointing for a horseman who had put in all the hard work to be told that the Great Northern has been cancelled.  Few people can comprehend the huge amount of time and money involved in getting a thoroughbred ready to compete over 6400 metres.

I recall, some years ago, a trainer who always had a number of jumpers, remarking at the fourth day of the Ellerslie Christmas carnival;  "Tomorrow we start on our steeplechasers."  That was at the height of summer!

1 hour ago, Aaron Bidlake said:

Could you allocate one track to jump racing in each region and put everything back 3 months and just keep watering that track with an aim for say slow 8 right through until end of November. Or say at Riccarton water the chase course and then an inside strip for hurdles.  

You been drinking?

44 minutes ago, Aaron Bidlake said:

About to, not much else to do once I've fed and mucked the paddocks. Still dont think that it is that silly of an idea. Gives those winter horses and riders at least a part of a season. 

AB....as you a participant in Jumps ,why don't you survey all known Jumps trainers ,owners etc and gather some facts and find out what enthusiasm there is out there.Berri seems to think regular longer distance racing will lead into jumps racing being something to excite NZ followers as per UK [and Japan].Find out what horses may be out there ,in what regions and then if numbers good try and sort out a couple of tracks .......as a guess Wingatui ,Timaru and Ellerslie ,Trentham could be good !

I say Timaru cos they may be closed ,and run trots as well !Ellerslie cos they have cash/investments so could boost stakes which will be reduced to clubs next season cos of their predicament.

But 4 or 5 horse fields .....forget it !

More of the same.....forget it !

As far as jumps concerned I'd say this season must be finished already ......I guess thats why you talking end of year ! 

16 hours ago, Aaron Bidlake said:

About to, not much else to do once I've fed and mucked the paddocks. Still dont think that it is that silly of an idea. Gives those winter horses and riders at least a part of a season. 

From a farmer, jumps mad racing enthusiast, shareholder in a wet tracker, who I would love to see over fences, it's been such a dry summer and autumn, we're hoping like hell for a wet winter / spring to lift water levels before next summer! May the wet trackers still be running in October!!