RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Berri

Oh what a mess we're in

Numbers of mares being bred decreasing to point that we now don't have enough horses racing from the mares bred 4-6 years ago. So if we've dropped 15% from then, what's going to happen in 4-5 years from now?

Even more depressing...despite a great fight by certain members of the racing industry supported by a very placid representation by some of the industry organisations, I believe we have lost the fight to get much changed in the current proposed Bill. I'm depressed by RITA's efforts, and can only now think that there was another agenda at play. Logics say that a concerted effort under the guise of politics has moved the posts to make sports the primary beneficiary of betting.

We are running out of options. I think we've got to back the bloke that supports less governmental influence and sort ourselves out for a scrap. I think if I were to bet the Bill changing much, I'd be offering 100-1 against being what we would all like to see.

This isn't really about mare numbers, although this is simply an indicator of the impending disaster re betting. This post was all about what to do if the proposed bill doesn't get amended significantly. We've been complacent for years. Do we care enough? Are you willing to back a person who will help us? Are you willing to listen and promote a proposition that proposes the right path? If that proposition is good enough, will you help get that person into a position to do something about it? Are you willing to throw down your pitch forks to show your dissatisfaction if the proposed Bill doesn't reflect what should happen to our industry?

Decisions, decisions, decisions....add a splash of courage, energy  and commitment to that.

2017...over 3,500

am cautiously optimistic there were enough believable and thoughtfully put together submissions to see significant changes to the original bill......and am sure all cafers will back your candidacy for the TAB Board Berri......except maybe the nutters who post on here - to them the industry is done

7 hours ago, drewandjo said:

2017...over 3,500

am cautiously optimistic there were enough believable and thoughtfully put together submissions to see significant changes to the original bill......and am sure all cafers will back your candidacy for the TAB Board Berri......except maybe the nutters who post on here - to them the industry is done

I'm glad to see you have a healthy dose of optimism.....my opinion counts for nought,  but I cannot see a way forward unless TAB operations are radically altered.

Foal crops, allweather tracks, POC taxes,  taking land assets,etc... will mean nothing without a seachange in the way the industry is funded.

8 hours ago, drewandjo said:

2017...over 3,500

I hope you are right, but the sell off of brrodmares on gavelhouse has me concerned.

37 minutes ago, Pam Robson said:

I'm glad to see you have a healthy dose of optimism.....my opinion counts for nought,  but I cannot see a way forward unless TAB operations are radically altered.

Foal crops, allweather tracks, POC taxes,  taking land assets,etc... will mean nothing without a seachange in the way the industry is funded.

I agree. That's part of it but also necessary is a significant product overhaul. By that I mean NZTR level stuff like integrity, programming, handicapping, track surfaces, the stakes funding model etc. to provide an attractive competitive wagering product.

42 minutes ago, shaneMcAlister said:

I hope you are right, but the sell off of brrodmares on gavelhouse has me concerned.

Some one bought those gavel house mares ,  they went to a new home , they weren't dog tucker .

It doesn't really matter anymore , racing is doomed unless drastic change is made , perhaps some good will come from the flu situation .

Race days with no on course patrons might be a winner for the industry , it might bring about the collapse of clubs who are in the middle of nowhere  and have poor infrastructure .

One things for sure , there are to many old people involved in racing who are happy to sit back and ride it into the ground , the virus might solve the age problem  as well .

9 hours ago, drewandjo said:

2017...over 3,500

I wasn't actually submitting that I would become  candidate for the TAB board. I may not be suited to a role of that type because I don't suffer idiots or people who don't know what they are talking about, and the appointment process would seem to gather these people like bears to a honey pot.

I'm talking about real change. We need to back someone in government who would get the job done for us. We all thought it was Winnie but the DIA and various ministers have hijacked the so called intent. If we don't change things, then how can we expect change? In my opinion, complacency has got us to where we are. If a MeToo movement can change the attitudes of people in the entertainment industry, we need to consider our position very carefully. With Corona vIrus on our door step, we could see a change unheard of before.

If you like I'll post my four submissions for your consideration. I thought they were a start point and I didn't even discuss the racetrack rationalisation. That's a hornet's nest that I don't have a proper way forward. It's not that I haven't thought about it, it's just that I currently have trouble forming an opinion.

1 hour ago, WOODBINE said:

These are the registered broodmares How many were actually served and are in foal.

No. That's foals born isn't it?

Despite a significant correction consistent with world wide trends, it has stabalised in recent years. Pretty much no change from 2013 through 2019.

15 minutes ago, Leggy said:

No. That's foals born isn't it?

Despite a significant correction consistent with world wide trends, it has stabalised in recent 

Sometimes less is more , Overproduction isn't that flash for the foals born .No point breeding some of these 500 bucks mares , vets bills the same , trucking the same , money pit unless buyer has spotted something in pedigree everyone has missed that he can breed from within a price to roll the dice  .Most low end 500 buck mares  just bred from  because stallion is within easy trip . Look at those outback WA tracks , half field are sired by Saxon I think it's name is and some old Ballydoyle cast off . 

Exactly RR. It's a supply and demand thing and the foal crop size will adjust to demand though there may obviously be a lag time involved. Yet we have the (big breeder driven?) likes of Messara (mis?)-using statistics to imply otherwise.

Then there is the reduction in the New Zealand foal crop from 5,264 in1994/95 to 3,448 in 2016/17 which is going to inhibit the future race fieldsizes so necessary for the generation of revenue from wagering. (from the Messara report, p.5)

It's total bull. There is NO evidence that more horses racing or more races will generate more revenue. That is definitely NOT the problem.

Okay Berri, I'm interested in what you are saying, what are your submissions? If you are indeed the type of person who won't suffer fools gladly then I would think you are exactly what we need. Someone has to start ridding the industry of the excessive amount of fools running the show

This mess will only get bigger. If you shut sporting events down, sports betting will decrease. If you don't have enough cash being generated that can't pay the annual $17m fee needed to upgrade the software for the fixed odds platform, then you don't get the updates and the platform starts operating inefficiently. If you have borrowed funds to increase racing stakes, on the back end of some promise that betting will increase, then not only will the borrowings leave  hole in the balance sheet, but the racing stakes that you propped up with the borrowings won't be sustainable. This will mean a reduction in racing stakes. If this all converges at the same time, RITA has to go to the Minister with their caps in hand to beg for funding. Outcome....technical insolvency.

Five years ago we told everyone this might happen. Two years ago we said it might happen in two years. Can't see anything else but this thing happening. As I said....a mess