RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Nerula

At What Point

Can you claim to be an Owner of a horse.? l A leg or 25% and more is fair. I think

Then when you get down to the single figures or even a decimal of that you could not claim more, than having an "interest" . You sure aint got a say in proceedings.

Nothing wrong with 'hair of a tail'. Its a step above a 'tyre kicker''

Don't think I am 'big noting,' it's just how I feel. (pardon cliche abuse - overuse).

5 minutes ago, Nerula said:

Can you claim to be an Owner of a horse.? l A leg or 25% and more is fair. I think

Then when you get down to the single figures or even a decimal of that you could not claim more, than having an "interest" . You sure aint got a say in proceedings.

Don't think I am 'big noting,' it's just how I feel. (pardon cliche abuse - overuse).

Is this an early April Fools joke Neil? :lol:

14 minutes ago, Nerula said:

Here’s a question for you Neil.

How exactly do you expect to market horse ownership to the masses when to be considered “an owner” you have to own a leg or 25%? 

This has to be “the Darwin Award” post of the year. :ph34r:

24 minutes ago, Nerula said:

I am not sure the Melody Belle owners would like to think they just have an interest....

3 minutes ago, shaneMcAlister said:

I am not sure the Melody Belle owners would like to think they just have an interest....

Can I be a fly on the wall when Neil addresses the BGP syndicate advising them they are not horse owners as they don’t meet his criteria of “a leg or 25%?” :ph34r::P

Ok there was a syndicate set up that had 5% of a Te Akau horse sold out to 100 investors.. That is .05 share each. Shane you would have to kick all the hangers on out of the Presidents room if they won your cup - to shout them.

Chris I read your comment where you said your dad owned Jennifer Eccles and in my book he just has an interest along with a multitude of others. Jump on to the Racing Victoria site and see how many Owners privileges are handed out. then you will realise there is a distinction.

Good fishing ,strong bites today.

Just now, Nerula said:

Ok there was a syndicate set up that had 5% of a Te Akau horse sold out to 100 investors.. That is .05 share each. Shane you would have to kick all the hangers on out of the Presidents room if they won your cup - to shout them.

Chris I read your comment where you said your dad owned Jennifer Eccles and in my book he just has an interest along with a multitude of others. Jump on to the Racing Victoria site and see how many Owners privileges are handed out. then you will realise there is a distinction.

So answer my question then Neil.

How do you propose to market horse ownership to the masses when under your criteria to be considered “a horse owner” you need to own “a leg or 25%?”

Genuine question, because under your criteria you are straight away excluding probably 75% of potential horse owners as I would guess only 25% or probably less would be able to afford “a leg or 25%.” 

7 minutes ago, CT"s said:

So answer my question then Neil.

How do you propose to market horse ownership to the masses when under your criteria to be considered “a horse owner” you need to own “a leg or 25%?”

Genuine question, because under your criteria you are straight away excluding probably 75% of potential horse owners as I would guess only 25% or probably less would be able to afford “a leg or 25%.” 

I think the big ownership groups share the rights on certain days , overseas it's worked out various different ways it's no big deal  . Imho if you got paperwork saying you own 1/1000 you own that horse 1/1000 .I would happily have 1/1000 of Jennifer Eccles or Melody Belle , I'd prefer 1000/1000 of either though .

5 minutes ago, Red Rum said:

I think the big ownership groups share the rights on certain days , overseas it's worked out various different ways it's no big deal  . Imho if you got paperwork saying you own 1/1000 you own that horse 1/1000 .I would happily have 1/1000 of Jennifer Eccles or Melody Belle , I'd prefer 1000/1000 of either though .

100% agree Red Rum 

1 hour ago, Nerula said:

You forgot to mention whereby being a blood relative of a person that owns a hair on the tail of any given horse put you in same said elite ownership category.....

27 minutes ago, Idolmite said:

You forgot to mention whereby being a blood relative of a person that owns a hair on the tail of any given horse put you in same said elite ownership category.....

Stop being a dick Barry ;)

On 12/9/2019 at 1:09 PM, TurnyTom said:

2 hours ago, Nerula said:

Hi Nerula :-) If each and everyone of them spent $100 betting on course during the day the presidents drink would be free. 

I have seen syndicate horses win with no one on course to represent them. 

1 hour ago, Idolmite said:

If I pay for a share in a horse, I am very pleased when my dad tags along. I hung off him when he raced many of them. 

56 minutes ago, shaneMcAlister said:

Hi Nerula :-) If each and everyone of them spent $100 betting on course during the day the presidents drink would be free. 

I have seen syndicate horses win with no one on course to represent them. 

Not on an industry day it wouldn't, they could spend a $1000 on course each and the club wouldn't make a thing out of them.

Say i'm a substantial shareholder, (perhaps 1% of the shares) in a company, can I claim to be the owner?

In fact i have a 50% share in a private company and I claim ownership to that. I have shares in PLC's to which I can rightly say I have an investment interest. But I don't claim to own the company.

I know I am being pedantic but I have had various shareholding in horses and feel proprietry ownership is proportional to the shareholding.

The thing is you cant bullshit you own the horse with a 1% share - you might have an argument with someone that has a whopping10% and he or she with  50%.

Perhaps ownership stops at the Manager of the horse.

26 minutes ago, Nerula said:

Say i'm a substantial shareholder, (perhaps 1% of the shares) in a company, can I claim to be the owner?

In fact i have a 50% share in a private company and I claim ownership to that. I have shares in PLC's to which I can rightly say I have an investment interest. But I don't claim to own the company.

I know I am being pedantic but I have had various shareholding in horses and feel proprietry ownership is proportional to the shareholding.

The thing is you cant bullshit you own the horse with a 1% share - you might have an argument with someone that has a whopping10% and he or she with  50%.

Perhaps ownership stops at the Manager of the horse.

Who cares?

If you own a share in a company you are a shareholder - simple.

If you own a share in a horse you are a part owner - simple.

I've owned shares in quite a few (not 90 !). I'm not sure my % level has flashed through my mind as they run for the post. And the thrill I've got from single % ownership horses have been significant. Hell I've won a G National and G Northern Hurdles - and been to Ellerslie for Horse of the Year awards and been on stage getting an award with a big bunch of fellow owners. And the small % didnt diminish the experience at all.

A story - A famous old time trainer would phone the sole owner of a horse and tell said owner, the horse is no good and to take it away - the next day. Imagine today a trainer did the same to a minority owner, that person would say, "Nah I'm busy phone the others"

The point is - Does a tiny shareholding give you the same rights as a substantial one?

And no, this is not a bull dust topic. Its a serious one.

By extension, the aspects of - who is responsible for the welfare of the horse. Who has visitation rights. Who is responsible for the rehoming or destruction of the horse? I don't think the one percenters do. So there needs to be a clearly defined management structure to handle the responsiblity of the shareholder owners. Is this the syndicator nominee and does that person own a share? If not in my book the only function of the minority shareholder is as a bill payer and has no normal ownership rights.

IMO anything less than 50% is a minority share.

10% is a small share , 2.5% is a very small share , less than 1% is a tiny share.

In my experience some of my smaller shares ,say 2% , may be 2% of 3 horses or 4 horses or even 10 or more horses.

I call this being a part of a syndicate.

"our syndicate owns a few horses ,its a big syndicate".

Win the race and you get to hold the trophy , maybe some $$$$ and plenty of hugs and kisses [ pre-virus].

Thats the bit I enjoy !

How long is a piece of string ?

Do you own a  house if the mortgage is over 50 % or a family trust....the latter , NO...the Trust owns it .

You need over 50% to have control of anything.

Then what about the missus...own 1% of a horse , what about her ?

11 hours ago, Trump said:

This discussion is a bit of bull dust. If you own a share in a horse you are a “part owner”. If you have a share in a “leased” horse, you are a Lessee. End of story.

This sums it up well, don't really know why it's an issue.

22 minutes ago, Nerula said:

A story - A famous old time trainer would phone the sole owner of a horse and tell said owner, the horse is no good and to take it away - the next day. Imagine today a trainer did the same to a minority owner, that person would say, "Nah I'm busy phone the others"

The point is - Does a tiny shareholding give you the same rights as a substantial one?

And no, this is not a bull dust topic. Its a serious one.

By extension, the aspects of - who is responsible for the welfare of the horse. Who has visitation rights. Who is responsible for the rehoming or destruction of the horse? I don't think the one percenters do. So there needs to be a clearly defined management structure to handle the responsiblity of the shareholder owners. Is this the syndicator nominee and does that person own a share? If not in my book the only function of the minority shareholder is as a bill payer and has no normal ownership rights.

All syndicates in Australia must have an appointed “Manager”, registered with the relevant authority eg, Racing Qld. The Syndicate Manager is the responsible person for all Members of that syndicate. He also communicates with the Trainer etc. on race days, all syndicate members, whether Owners or Lessees, enjoy “Owners Privileges”.