RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
rdytdy

Corona Virus Impact on Racing

NZTR CIRCULAR 2019/20 – No.17

Coronavirus COVID-19 Advisement

NZTR has convened a working group which has been monitoring the situation regarding COVID-19 and its possible impact on our industry.

The attached club template provides guidelines for the situation as it stands, but as you will be aware things are likely to change rapidly.

Bernard is attending a meeting with RITA this afternoon; the working group is scheduled to meet again on Wednesday. 

An option, should things continue to escalate, is that we will be conducting meetings without the public and we are preparing for this eventuality.

We expect clubs to be implementing the steps outlined here immediately and will provide a further update next week.

We are also communicating separately with owners (see below the example of the letter sent to owners racing at Trentham on Saturday), trainers, and jockeys to advise of the steps taken, specifically around access to the birdcage.

Please contact Martin Burns, Mary Burgess or Bernard Saundry at NZTR if you have any queries.

Example of owner’s letter

Dear Valued Owner,

This is an important update regarding the Wellington Racing Club’s Al Basti Equiworld NZ Oaks meeting on Saturday.

As part of the steps the industry is taking around Covid-19 access to the birdcage will be limited to jockeys; trainers with horses running on the day; their staff attending those horses; and essential race day staff only.

This will impact the Owners’ Shout room and owners are now invited to have a complimentary drink in the Telford Room, on presentation of your owners’ ribbon for that race.  There will be a separate station at the Bar to avoid lengthy wait times. The Birdcage presentation following the black-type races on the day will now be held on the lawn in the front of the Telford Bar.

You will also note other steps taken around the course regarding hygiene and the availability of hand sanitisers as we take all possible steps to keep those working at and attending our meetings safe.

We appreciate your assistance with this directive.

Kind regards,

Martin Burns

GM – Welfare & Sustainability

M 0275 110 348

6 minutes ago, slam dunk said:

I posted in the wrong thread. i am proposing that all jumps racing be suspended for this season and replaced with flat races for jumpers.

One of the reasons being aleviating stress on hospitals with injuries. Does anyone agree?

If it hits , the odd broken arm from the few  jumps races probably neither here or there . Thousands and thousands of weekend warriors scrumming together,  going up for header or jumping for a netball  all breathing , sweating , mixing up drink bottles and spitting greenies on the ground  in next few months ahead might be a bigger issue .Anything to free up the health professionals cannot be dismissed if it does hit here though . 

Anyone coaching any team at any level at any age needs to get with the play re infection control basics . 

I were having a beer in my local the other day with me old mate Colin , I was onto my third Speights and Col being a very observant bloke  said you look a worried man Boss .

Well funny you should say that Col but a mate of mine has just come back from China and had to go into self isolatation for 2 weeks in case he has Corona or an STD or any other disease that he might have picked up, his wife and kids don't want him so I said Ive got a bedroom you can stay with us.

Colin butted in  "  your a legend Boss " helping a mate out when he is in need  you must be a special person, not many people would do that in these trouble times.

Thanks Col I have been feeding him up on Whitebait Fritters and Flounder for the last week,

Once again Colin butts in your feeding him Whitebait Fritters and Flounder ,Boss, you would have to be one of the most compassionate,caring ,friends a mate could have .How is he doing?

I don't know Col its the only food I can get under the door , 

Col why have you moved to another table ? What did I say?

Cheers BH

15 minutes ago, Boss Hogg said:

I were having a beer in my local the other day with me old mate Colin , I was onto my third Speights and Col being a very observant bloke  said you look a worried man Boss .

Well funny you should say that Col but a mate of mine has just come back from China and had to go into self isolatation for 2 weeks in case he has Corona or an STD or any other disease that he might have picked up, his wife and kids don't want him so I said Ive got a bedroom you can stay with us.

Colin butted in  "  your a legend Boss " helping a mate out when he is in need  you must be a special person, not many people would do that in these trouble times.

Thanks Col I have been feeding him up on Whitebait Fritters and Flounder for the last week,

Once again Colin butts in your feeding him Whitebait Fritters and Flounder ,Boss, you would have to be one of the most compassionate,caring ,friends a mate could have .How is he doing?

I don't know Col its the only food I can get under the door , 

Col why have you moved to another table ? What did I say?

Cheers BH

Your house must be a nice 'plaice'

If this continues Racing will suffer big time. 

With funding coming from TAB (Rita) returns will see a massive decline in turnover/profits as Sports are cancelled.

Basketball, Football, NRL contribute massive turnover and profits.

With public being banned (sports and racing) from these events Sponsorship will decline.

5 minutes ago, newbie85 said:

If this continues Racing will suffer big time. 

With funding coming from TAB (Rita) returns will see a massive decline in turnover/profits as Sports are cancelled.

Basketball, Football, NRL contribute massive turnover and profits.

With public being banned (sports and racing) from these events Sponsorship will decline.

Conronavirus might be the excuse that is needed to reduce prize money....

Trumpy yes you can still go to Trentham  but things will change in the next few days .  I'm think they will cancel all small meetings for a least a month  or two  . The racing clubs are trying to do their best as there is limited direction from Cindy and her motley crew ,who are more interested in Christchurch and electric bikes on footpaths .CheersBH

it will only be a matter of time weeks not months before they have meetings without spectators or no meetings at all i dont support but thats were i can see it going

Why, other than half a dozen meetings a year, there is a hardly a mass gathering of people !

This is simply a flu virus (yes a severe one but nonetheless) and as such should be treated in a similar way..

If people simply treat this affair in the same way as they normally do each winter  then I am fairly sure life will continue in a similar way.  

I mean since when has a football match been abandoned because one tenth of the crowd has the flu  !!! 

23 minutes ago, Archer said:

Why, other than half a dozen meetings a year, there is a hardly a mass gathering of people !

This is simply a flu virus (yes a severe one but nonetheless) and as such should be treated in a similar way..

If people simply treat this affair in the same way as they normally do each winter  then I am fairly sure life will continue in a similar way.  

I mean since when has a football match been abandoned because one tenth of the crowd has the flu  !!! 

1/10 crowd has flu , so at Wembley 100000 , 10000 with severe flu causing  quite a high fatality rate compared with seasonal flu you would be happy to go along and go home to your family and friends after spending 2 hours jammed close together  with coughing and sneezing 1 in every 10th person . Personally I wouldn't have a bar of it ,  maybe iam just  a coward .

1 hour ago, Archer said:

Boy oh boy, have you ever got it completely wrong......

1 hour ago, Red Rum said:

1/10 crowd has flu , so at Wembley 100000 , 10000 with severe flu causing  quite a high fatality rate compared with seasonal flu you would be happy to go along and go home to your family and friends after spending 2 hours jammed close together  with coughing and sneezing 1 in every 10th person . Personally I wouldn't have a bar of it ,  maybe iam just  a coward .

You got it wrong, I meant seasonal flu for a game, which probably happens a lot, maybe not 10%, but you get the drift and WHO is talking about 100.000 at Wembley ? 

18 minutes ago, Patiti said:

Have a look back at the Spanish flu 100 yrs ago to see what devastation it caused.

This needs immediate measures now,

Isolation is the best way to stop it.

This is not the Spanish Flu, and if you really understood what happened back then, you would know.  

And yes isolation is one way,  same has hygiene, building up the immunity system of the body and avoiding certain situations, but as I said this is not EBOLA 

On 3/13/2020 at 3:26 PM, slam dunk said:

I posted in the wrong thread. i am proposing that all jumps racing be suspended for this season and replaced with flat races for jumpers.

One of the reasons being aleviating stress on hospitals with injuries. Does anyone agree?

Do you think the virus is going to 'jump' from one jockey to the other?

No public on course, no on course turnover. Depending on how long it lasts the going broke or closure of clubs will self regulate. Like everything else only the strong will survive.