RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
mikenz

More race meetings canned in the north.

4 hours ago, mikenz said:

56 runners at Rotorua left.

And only two races with three divis out of nine at Woodville today. One field of four and one of five I think.

Quite seriously, they should be looking now at scrapping one or two of the unneeded northern meetings over the next few weeks and moving the licences to the South.

21 hours ago, gubellini said:

30 Heats at the Matamata Trials tomorrow with 252 horses entered. Obviously no shortage of horses in the north only a shortage of incentives to race for peanuts.

Peanuts they may be Gubes but isn't it better to run for a stake at least, given the cost of keeping a horse in work.

Shit SD, after that you'd have a lot of horses out of condition (presuming owners wouldn't want to pay two months training with no chance of a return) or a lot of small fields or a lot of overweight jockeys. Could be interesting.

9 minutes ago, slam dunk said:

An option could be cancel all meetings June/July

Don't think jockeys will mind. Decision should be made quickly.

I can't see any merit in that at all to be honest. What would the jockeys, trainers, float drivers, tab staff all do for two months. Go off on a cruise?

14 minutes ago, Blue said:

Peanuts they may be Gubes but isn't it better to run for a stake at least, given the cost of keeping a horse in work.

You make a good point Blue. The one thing that people don't seem to consider is that most of these low key meetings, and probably some of the higher key meetings,  are probably doing turnovers of about $20,000 oncourse and $600,000 off, and yet they still get to race for $10,000 minimum. Compare this with 30 years ago when the oncourse t/o would have been about $120,000 and off course $1.2m, and they used to race for $4,000-$5,000. So it is an industry with rapidly declining public interest and yet they still manage to find money for reasonable stakes. Some trainers/owners/horses get to go around for $35,000 quite regularly, against five or six others. A lot of them have never had it so good. Sure, the input costs, training fees etc, have increased dramatically, but that is another story.

Ironically, horse racing could benefit from the virus as long as no jockeys, trainers or others come down with it. It could well be the only game in town for a while. And while everyone is isolating at home horse racing could be the only sport to watch. 

11 minutes ago, Huey said:

8 weeks no pay for jocks,  I'd think they'd mind. 

They might not have a choice , racing closing down around the world . I'd have fears on number of levels as racing has to use the buzzword " an underlying health condition " as a business . This is moving real quick . US Racing closing , Evangeline has stated horses off track by Wednesday . As most trainers move track to track there's a lot of horses to house , the cheaper ones I doubt will be seen again . To be fair humans come first and foremost but equine welfare must be planned for .

If and it's still an if  hopefully won't happen,  but if we are hit hard  , racing should be looking at what help they can give wider community too, plenty of space on racecourses for various uses with facilities , close to cities with road connections , offer it up to authorities for use if required . Let's just hope it never comes to that .

1 hour ago, Ludwig said:

Get rid of some of these under utilised northern meetings, and give one back to Waimate

There is obviously going to have to be some rationalisation if racing carries on and the virus carries on. There doesn't seem much point meetings like Marlborough taking place if all of the participants have to travel to get there and the public aren't allowed to attend. Those two meetings should probably be moved to somewhere like Timaru and Ashburton. Not much point holding any meetings that are largely an on course event. Racing is obviously going to become an offcourse only event for a while so we might as well keep participants costs as low as possible.

I am sure someone in management somewhere is thinking this all through, so no need for us mere mortals to worry about it.

2 hours ago, mikenz said:

7 races at masterton today and not many in those races as well.

You do wonder what was the point holding that meeting at Tauherenikau. That track is all about on course attendance. A meeting at Awapuni would have been more convenient for about 95% of the trainers.

On 3/13/2020 at 12:34 PM, mikenz said:

And I understand they are wanting to cut the number of meetings in Southland in future as for 7 races at Wingatui that's the meet that is run on monday with trotting club running 6 or seven as well.

Otago Anniversary day duel code  meeting

Greg

On 3/22/2020 at 1:47 PM, We're Doomed said:

You do wonder what was the point holding that meeting at Tauherenikau. That track is all about on course attendance. A meeting at Awapuni would have been more convenient for about 95% of the trainers.

We're Doomed There is usually about 30 of us at this meeting and me and Ronny were'nt going so that leaves 28  CheersBH