RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
mikenz

More race meetings canned in the north.

Seems the real problems with lack of entries is really a north island problem,no Te Aroha today,six races at Matamata on Wednesday and only 5 races at Alexandra Park tonight,meanwhile South Island races seem to hold up well in both codes,maybe there are just too many meetings in the north ,maybe quality needs to replace quantity,the whole racing calander needs to be redone the country needs to be split into 4 regions,2 in the south and two in the north with a proper structured dates structure where at least once a fortnight you have a main meeting and on the other week a more low key meeting so every area has some balance with exceptions for feature meetings like carnivals etc and of course circuit meetings  like Westland,Gisborne the present setup of 5 or 6 races with 5 or 6 races aint a good look.Maybe if you get a better date structure then you can look at which tracks stay and which ones go,a lot of those little one or two day clubs are fine as long as the community want them,well that's  my thought on things,others may not agree.

29 minutes ago, mikenz said:

Seems the real problems with lack of entries is really a north island problem,no Te Aroha today,six races at Matamata on Wednesday and only 5 races at Alexandra Park tonight,meanwhile South Island races seem to hold up well in both codes,maybe there are just too many meetings in the north ,maybe quality needs to replace quantity,the whole racing calander needs to be redone the country needs to be split into 4 regions,2 in the south and two in the north with a proper structured dates structure where at least once a fortnight you have a main meeting and on the other week a more low key meeting so every area has some balance with exceptions for feature meetings like carnivals etc and of course circuit meetings  like Westland,Gisborne the present setup of 5 or 6 races with 5 or 6 races aint a good look.Maybe if you get a better date structure then you can look at which tracks stay and which ones go,a lot of those little one or two day clubs are fine as long as the community want them,well that's  my thought on things,others may not agree.

Where have you been hiding mikenz ?

This subject  has been active on here for some time.

We're Doomed in particular has made numerous posts about poor programming etc especially in the South Island.

Are you a new owner now aware of the frustrations or a club administrator turning to race cafe for some support ?

4 minutes ago, tasman man 11 said:

Where have you been hiding mikenz ?

This subject  has been active on here for some time.

We're Doomed in particular has made numerous posts about poor programming etc especially in the South Island.

Are you a new owner now aware of the frustrations or a club administrator turning to race cafe for some support ?

No need to be too harsh Tas. It is good to see people are noticing and realising something needs to be done. Matamata Wednesday, Te Aroha today and Tauranga tomorrow was always going to cause problems. Pity the maidens balloted at Ashburton yesterday, that was their last Canterbury opportunity for the month. Pity the 2yos going to the trials in Canterbury, no opportunity for weeks for them.

I don't have time to check programmes at the moment, but just seven races programmed for the next low key Wingatui meeting if I recall correctly, this after Gore had to run 10 races and ballot horses.

Some of the abandoned northern meetings should be sent south. No meeting in Otago or Southland this week.

It all comes down to incompetence at management level. They are totally out of their depth. None of the messara/racing act things will resolve the basic problems with dates structures and programming. Look at horses like Capodanno and Quintuple Twins having to race for $11,000 yesterday because they have no other opportunities. They are $25,000 Saturday horses.

21 minutes ago, We're Doomed said:

No need to be too harsh Tas. It is good to see people are noticing and realising something needs to be done. Matamata Wednesday, Te Aroha today and Tauranga tomorrow was always going to cause problems. Pity the maidens balloted at Ashburton yesterday, that was their last Canterbury opportunity for the month. Pity the 2yos going to the trials in Canterbury, no opportunity for weeks for them.

I don't have time to check programmes at the moment, but just seven races programmed for the next low key Wingatui meeting if I recall correctly, this after Gore had to run 10 races and ballot horses.

Some of the abandoned northern meetings should be sent south. No meeting in Otago or Southland this week.

It all comes down to incompetence at management level. They are totally out of their depth. None of the messara/racing act things will resolve the basic problems with dates structures and programming. Look at horses like Capodanno and Quintuple Twins having to race for $11,000 yesterday because they have no other opportunities. They are $25,000 Saturday horses.

And I understand they are wanting to cut the number of meetings in Southland in future as for 7 races at Wingatui that's the meet that is run on monday with trotting club running 6 or seven as well.

The reason we end up in this situation with small fields or small number of races then leading onto cancelled meetings is because you can look at the calendar on August 1 of any given season and see which clubs are racing when right thru till July 31 the next year . So everything is set in concrete , instead of working with trainers to ensure stable returns are up to date so they know numbers in work in any given region . Have a system where trainers can inform them horses getting close to racing , getting a data base that provides them with numbers in any given class , distance range etc , then they could start programming for requirements . But it relies on everyone getting on board . I know of plenty of trainers doing urgent stable returns so they can nominate a horse when the horse has been in the stable for months . Just a suggestion .

29 minutes ago, mikenz said:

And I understand they are wanting to cut the number of meetings in Southland in future as for 7 races at Wingatui that's the meet that is run on monday with trotting club running 6 or seven as well.

It's a dual code meeting on Otago anniversary day.  There are good strong horse numbers in the South, particularly in harness. But I agree entirely the whole programming of both codes needs to looked at. We go from the feast of five gallops meetings in 9 days over the holidays to the relative famine now.

1 minute ago, mikenz said:

Those meetings over xmas/new year seem to have one that suffers from too much racing,Central Otago only had 6 races ,year before it was new years day club that I can't spell off the the cuff lol.

Waikouaiti....or whack a white as Kevin Payne used to say.

6 minutes ago, shaneMcAlister said:

Have a look at Gavelhouse, over 100 horses last two catalogues.  

Ireland have said that only trainer, one groom and one owner can attend races due to Coronavirus.  If this happens in NZ we could see a jump in crowd numbers.......

Racing is starting to wake up to this , I love Cheltenham but have been watching thinking there is overreaction at times but that amount of people jammed together for hours drinking eating coughing then returning home to cough over the elderly or not very fit people in shops , homes etc  . Iam not sure it will be looked back on as too clever an idea . Sydney I doubt will go ahead with any crowds in coming weeks , next year's sales might get the ripple effect too . Hopefully it all passes us by down here as we should be aware , we have had weeks of warning , hopefully it's all an overreaction .

14 minutes ago, Red Rum said:

Racing is starting to wake up to this , I love Cheltenham but have been watching thinking there is overreaction at times but that amount of people jammed together for hours drinking eating coughing then returning home to cough over the elderly or not very fit people in shops , homes etc  . Iam not sure it will be looked back on as too clever an idea . Sydney I doubt will go ahead with any crowds in coming weeks , next year's sales might get the ripple effect too . Hopefully it all passes us by down here as we should be aware , we have had weeks of warning , hopefully it's all an overreaction .

The crowds at Cheltenham are insane.  When I first went to live in Ireland Davy Russell and Gordan Elliot were the leading jockeys in Northern Point to points.  Could be champion jockey and trainer this year.

One race deleted for Rotorua on Wednesday. Noms are left open and unless there are further noms across a number of races that meeting won't proceed either.

The problem I feel is the serious drought conditions in the Waikato is having serious repercussion with having enough horses ready to race at present.   

7 minutes ago, shaneMcAlister said:

The crowds at Cheltenham are insane.  When I first went to live in Ireland Davy Russell and Gordan Elliot were the leading jockeys in Northern Point to points.  Could be champion jockey and trainer this year.

Insane this year Shane , most of us can face the odd threat in our jobs , part and parcel but crowds bugs back home to family cough contamination on them  , imho that's insane at moment .It's taking risks on others behalf .

I was pissed off with Davy in first Tuesday , held on to horse too long but it's so easy watching  from sofa , bacon butty in hand with a coffee in morning .

Hi  all  IMHO I think this Covid- 19 is starting to take its toll ,specially in the next month . Why bother taking your horse to the races a for a few bucks and the stress of will I or won't I get Corona I think they will wait for the dust to settle and turn a lot of their horses out I think they will end up with firstly no public and then cancelling the meetings Cheers BH

3 minutes ago, We're Doomed said:

Firm track at Tauranga today. Maiden 1,400m: six starters. seven scratchings. Disgraceful. You would never see that in the SI. Ashburton last Thursday the only scratchings in three maiden races were the ballots.

Great opportunities here in the South for new trainers and owners. Good horse numbers, some fine under utilised tracks, areas of significant population growth, to name several. The place to be.