RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Nerula

Roger That

I understand the concept of bumpers and NH Flat Races and the type of horse that are bred to run in them......True Self's sire Oscar has sired nearly 700 winners and she is is only official black type winner

Naas last Sunday was yielding to soft and one of Joseph O'Brien's took 3.52 to run a 30 yards short of 2 miles. So yeah definitely different conditions than a summers day at Ellerslie. My point was that while it may not have seemed a quality field they still ran the fastest time in 10 years and only the second edition to break 3.20 in over 20 years.

28 minutes ago, drewandjo said:

I understand the concept of bumpers and NH Flat Races and the type of horse that are bred to run in them......True Self's sire Oscar has sired nearly 700 winners and she is is only official black type winner

Naas last Sunday was yielding to soft and one of Joseph O'Brien's took 3.52 to run a 30 yards short of 2 miles. So yeah definitely different conditions than a summers day at Ellerslie. My point was that while it may not have seemed a quality field they still ran the fastest time in 10 years and only the second edition to break 3.20 in over 20 years.

In no way knocking a top win by Cup winner , ran out trip like a superbly conditioned horse .

One thing I would say about Joseph O'Briens Naas winner as well as yielding to soft ground  is she is a 5 year old mare , 3rd lifetime start , ridden by Amateur with 2 wins last 5 years , carried  71kgs , 16 kilos more than the 55kgs of Cup winner . That's a decent lump of weight more . 3200 metres is slightly less than two miles as well.  

The 3.45 Annie Power ran in Champion Hurdle few years back was shifting a bit with weight to carry , hurdles to jump and hill to climb at end .

4 hours ago, drewandjo said:

am backing a Mullins runner in the Champion Bumper tonight...but not one of Willies

Envoi Allen done the job in style . Franco de Ports decent each way chance in Coral. Very lightly raced , first up in handicap sometimes works out in these big field races , Strutum could get close too .

Rumbo, how did those grade 1 bumper , hurdle and chase times over 2m and  2m 1/2furlong running  on a heavy side of soft on an undulated  course at the festival compare do you think?

1 hour ago, Swoopa said:

Rumbo, how did those grade 1 bumper , hurdle and chase times over 2m and  2m 1/2furlong running  on a heavy side of soft on an undulated  course at the festival compare do you think?

To be honest Swoopa I pay very little regard to times in national hunt racing , how many times does tape go up and no one wants to take it up so it's a Mexican standoff . At Cheltenham the pace is on due to prestige and prize , big fields . Tough track , although downhill fence smoothed out . A dodgy jumper will likely get found out there so the pace comes into it that way, can that horse get round without losing too much with odd mistake etc  .To compare track, going ,distance as  in steeplechasing side slight differences in amount of jumps, water jumps , open ditches vary slightly course to course , plus track characteristics  makes imho times a minor issue . Desert Orchid got his Gold Cup win , but left handed Cheltenham layout never his thing , Kempton Sandown a flying machine , times minor part of puzzle .

As for bumper trip it's  about 25 yards shorter now but to be fair two best winners I've seen  Monsignor and Envoi Allen both ran quicker than average times . Monsignor was a champion in waiting but fragile legs let him down .