RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Nerula

Roger That

Antony Fuller is a very good trainer. He can really turn around jaded older horses with plenty of slow hill and beach work. Some horses sour going round and round a track every day! His previously best horse was the durable John Gray. Raced 113 times for 14 wins.

crustyngrizzly yes Antony Fullers father Dave Fuller trained Tarbolton later in his career. He was initially trained by Jack Winder in Cambridge. Dave and his family emigrated to NZ around 1970. Dave was a point to point jockey in England. Antony trains from the family property in Esdailes Rd at Pahoia just north of Tauranga.

Thanks Gubellini

Your historical stuff is greatly appreciated by us all.

Having bred a number of (slow) Yaminan Vitals, I'm kicking myself that I didn't take the time to review the pedigree. 

he won in a good time, which validates the result.

Jack Winder won two races with Tarbolton. Grenville Hughes and Garry Edge the riders. Garry told me he was a big raw boned bugger. Dave Fuller took him over as a five year old and provided him with his first training success. 1/12/73 at Pukekohe. 1600m race. Gary Willetts rode him. Royal Court and Peter Johnson second with Royal Reward and Grenville Hughes third.

H i Gubs  cast the old memory bank back to the 70's there was a horse who run over the steeple's ,  Im sure it was trained by a Fuller who trained in Tauranga I think, obviously not Antony but I think the horse was call Royal [something] anyway its  claim to fame was Lex Nichols wrote in the Best Bet under the horses form It is cruel to race this horse .He got into a bit of strife for saying that even thou the horse ran last nearly every start .Bit off the subject but it is monday Cheers BH

Antony Fuller is one of the few trainers who uses interval training to get his horses fit. This may have been the key to Roger That running out a strong 3200m. Imagine if the large stables used interval training. They would take all day to work all their horses!

2 hours ago, gubellini said:

Antony Fuller is one of the few trainers who uses interval training to get his horses fit. This may have been the key to Roger That running out a strong 3200m. Imagine if the large stables used interval training. They would take all day to work all their horses!

Way too fit for the rest of them.

8 minutes ago, Leggy said:

Way too fit for the rest of them.

Martin Pipe introduced interval training  in UK jump racing in 80s , the rest is history . The horses he got in from other yards improved lengths , went out in front under Scudamore,  Dunwoody , McCoy  and never stopped .They  won races end on and put some old timers noses out of joint for a while early on . He had probably 150 plus in at any one time and had thousands of winners over the years  . .Standard practice now in jump yards . 

2 hours ago, gubellini said:

Antony Fuller can also train a sprinter. He trained the very speedy Happy Sculpture to win 7 races from 38 starts including the Group 2 Concorde at Avondale in 2006 running the 1200m in 1.8.97.

Did he use interval training with that?

Times mean nothing in this situation  drew!Grp 1 ,don't make me laugh:rcf-laughing-3:My tongue  in cheek  comment was regarding the class of the field in this once fine race. I would say that most of these would be gasping against Mullins bumper horses:)

1 minute ago, Swoopa said:

Times mean nothing in this situation  drew!Grp 1 ,don't make me laugh:rcf-laughing-3:My tongue  in cheek  comment was regarding the class of the field in this once fine race. I would say that most of these would be gasping against Mullins bumper horses:)

True Self showed the OZ horses up in spring 2nd in Geelong Cup  and 1st in QE2 braining the field .True Self arguably unlucky against Prince of Aaron at Geelong  . True Self was beaten in Warwick bumper and won a few small ones in Ireland , Envoi Allen last years Champion bumper would have that horse scrambling for an oxygen tank . A few bumper horses that have been to OZ have gone alright .

I think True Self proved herself more than Bumper quality prior to coming down this way...she was a 3 time Listed winner and Group 3 placed. My comment wasn't on the quality of the Auckland Cup - we all know the quality of staying races are not what they used to be - but to say they "would be lucky to be competitive in a bumper" stretches the truth a bit when most 2 mile bumpers in GB & Ireland take around 4 minutes to run.

1 hour ago, drewandjo said:

I think True Self proved herself more than Bumper quality prior to coming down this way...she was a 3 time Listed winner and Group 3 placed. My comment wasn't on the quality of the Auckland Cup - we all know the quality of staying races are not what they used to be - but to say they "would be lucky to be competitive in a bumper" stretches the truth a bit when most 2 mile bumpers in GB & Ireland take around 4 minutes to run.

It's not more than bumper quality though as she was average bumper , so was Wicklow Brave and High Bridge , most horses in bumpers  are bred to do a job of jumping fences as no doubt you know , they have been  given years to mature and a bumper is a bumper because they are green and bump  , not a trained to minute Cup horse , it's merely an introduction  to racing without  8 hurdles in front of them  . What course and going are you getting times from , how do those conditions compare to Ellerslie in late summer . Cheltenham over 2 miles in January likely to be tough .What distance as bumpers vary , can sometimes be slightly longer than 2 miles depending on rails that day , or course layout as tape starts cannot move to adjust, no stalls used . Times mean next to nothing in jumps game .High Bridge had never been in a gate until Waller put him through a set .

Most Auckland Cup runners would be very  hard to beat in bumper on good going round Kempton but don't like their chances of lasting  up Cheltenham hill in soft or worse .

Big Blue will be interesting this week at Cheltenham, I hope he wins to reward some adventure on connections part , I doubt he will get close though.