RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Pickel

Sprinter of the Year

Oh dear, I see that Buddy Boom’s Galaxy and Railway wins haven’t been enough to take him to the lead in Sprinter of the Year.

The points allocated for Group Races should be indexed against the total number of races to protect against ‘inflation’. Or maybe repeat Group wins should attract exponential points. Or perhaps a panel should decide like thoroughbreds?

I thought that is how it was decided Pickel, not just the number of wins during the year. I may be wrong on that but remember arguing at conferences years ago that it was unfair just on number of wins.

I may well be wrong on that  but my argument was that a dog could wind every group race available to say a sprinter in NZ and not race in any other races and be obviously the best sprinter in NZ yet a dog that was able to win  many races but not be capable of the group races would be judged ahead of it. 

When Winsome Ashley won 4 Group One races in one season she was denied the GOTY award by a sprinter which had more points as a points system had been introduced. Pizza Girl became the GOTY if my memory is correct. 

Most greyhound people felt this was a serious "miscarriage of justice" and a panel was chosen to select future GOTY.

Apparently the points system is still in vogue in the three categories. This appeared to be the case when Michael Dore was talking to Peter Earley the other day.

??

It’s a ridiculous rule that costs the best dog in there category, either be it distance middle or sprint the right to be crowned, the best in the country.

It urgently requires updating!