RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
JJ Flash

The Box Seat-A Question??

If Trackside were to can this program , would the industry be better or worse off. Clearly its not cheap to do given the stars that present it and the other associated costs.  Thus, is it a goer on a cost/benefit basis to the TAB who ultimately fund it.

Greg

At least it's there like any other programme on tele.    It's over to you if you want to watch it.    I don't simply because I don't have trackside 

TV so it doesn't worry me.      Whether there is mileage for the TAB from this programme for the money invested in it - well that's another matter but if you don't watch it you really cannot have an opinion one way or the other.     

I only watch the Box Seat occasionally but it would be a sad day if we lost this small window on Harness Racing. It is a tough ask to please everyone involved from the passionate small owner/breeder to the big punter. And we may not agree with the  hosts' opinions at times, but as long as they offer something for most people, the show gets my full backing.

I would rather see the costs of putting this programme to air put into raising stakes. There are far too many hangers on in this industry which may have been alright when Harness Racing was thriving, but now we need to look at every possible avenue to divert funds into raising stakes. If stakes increase the industry wiil survive and grow

I watch it every week, it is informative and does highlight what is going on in the industry . As for the value for money question , I can not tell until I know what it does actually  cost however will miss it , if it stops airing. Other programs such as the Breeders episodes, In the Gig and Off The Track fill in other gaps.

Part of the bullsh!t spin that was dished out when Trackside was removed from Freeview, onto pay tv, was that yes, one would need to pay to view Trackside, however there will be more magazine style programming of industry related shows and feature pieces of those within the industry... 

For those that don't have pay tv, and would like to watch The Box Seat, it is usually available on You Tube within a day of the original broadcast. 

My vote, for what it's worth, would be to keep it. It would do more harm than good ditching it. It does not go to air every single week, they take a decent break every winter and a short spell over Christmas/New Year. 

Get rid of Dog Zone and ban greyhound racing. Save some coin and some live bait that way. 

14 hours ago, Stables said:

I would rather see the costs of putting this programme to air put into raising stakes.

I'm with you Stables take the $30000 approx. to run the Box Seat and give it to the 3000 races run each year that's about $10 a race and don't worry about the harness stalwarts who love to see their programme on trotting each week.

Soon we will be like harness racing haters on another forum who couldn't bring themselves to mention Dexter Dunn's magnificent achievement's.

If you don't like Box Seat on the top right of your remote the off button is there push it.

You aren't including the salaries of the two industry sychophants employed for this programme and other activities which we can no longer afford. Like many of your ilk you want a champagne production based on a beer income. By the way if you had bothered to read my earlier post you would know that I have already pushed the off button

4 hours ago, Stables said:

You aren't including the salaries of the two industry sychophants employed for this programme and other activities which we can no longer afford. Like many of your ilk you want a champagne production based on a beer income. By the way if you had bothered to read my earlier post you would know that I have already pushed the off button

I'm struggling to see your point re salaries....

They'd be paid by Trackside wouldn't they - and it would form part of their existing contracts as presenters. 

Cancelling the show isn't going to all of a sudden make all this new money appear for stakes...

22 minutes ago, Counter Punch said:

I'm struggling to see your point re salaries....

They'd be paid by Trackside wouldn't they - and it would form part of their existing contracts as presenters. 

Cancelling the show isn't going to all of a sudden make all this new money appear for stakes...

Would you stop being so logical

The suggestion is exactly like the NZTR Racing Bureau

Whilst not in any way denigrating the job that they do, they were an extra cost that was not offset at Club level by any reduction in salaries or the number of salaried positions

As you say, canning the Show wouldn't reduce salaries so why give up any coverage that we get

It's not as though mainstream TV is our greatest advocate is it

Mikie

So its obvious RITA have decided to take the knife to costs.

What's next. Given that racing is going to struggle even more should a driver  or jockey test positive I would say racing may well be shut down. In that case some Trackside staff could be  let go and Trackside Radio  must also be in jeopardy.

Greg 

Every day and every action brings us closer to justifying outsourcing communication to SKY and wagering to TABCORP.

Unlike NZ they are public companies ACCOUNTABLE to shareholders.

Now is the time to act as it has  now been proven beyond doubt that the CLUBS have owned the TAB since 1950 

Refer to this weeks OPTIMIST for factual confirmation of this.

More evidence to give the Industry a greater say in matters and less for the bureaucrats.

On 3/21/2020 at 6:17 AM, JJ Flash said:

So its obvious RITA have decided to take the knife to costs.

What's next. Given that racing is going to struggle even more should a driver  or jockey test positive I would say racing may well be shut down. In that case some Trackside staff could be  let go and Trackside Radio  must also be in jeopardy.

Greg 

I think the next move will be for Trackside radio to just become a simulcast of Trackside TV. 

In the unfortunate event of a jockey, driver or trainer getting the chinese flu, the curtain will come down on racing soon after. I don't agree with this, but it will. 

Try and enjoy what we have now. Because soon it may be gone. 

I hope I am wrong.

Sometimes you don't know what you have, until it's gone.