RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Lloyd Vivian

Black Caviar/Vain

Anybody on here witness Vain's career? How far apart would they be after Black Caviar's latest effort? Is she approaching the best sprinter we have ever seen? If she were retired today, where would she sit? I'm also thinking in relation to the GREAT Manikato... are there others worth mentioning in the same breath?

Interested in cafers' opinion - but particularly those a little older who saw Vain race.

I saw a couple of races of vain on a documentary on Australian racing that was on the history channel a while ago and it showed highlights of the 3 races Vain won 3 in a week over a Mel Cup week.

Dominance of Vain & B.C very similar. Best comparison of eras.

Anybody on here witness Vain's career? How far apart would they be after Black Caviar's latest effort? Is she approaching the best sprinter we have ever seen? If she were retired today, where would she sit? I'm also thinking in relation to the GREAT Manikato... are there others worth mentioning in the same breath?

Interested in cafers' opinion - but particularly those a little older who saw Vain race.

John Costello had a great line in his book 'Galloping Greats', Lloyd.

Talking of Great Sensation and Il Tempo, he wrote:

'It is idle to speculate on how horses of different eras would have fared agbainst each other. But if the remoreseless machinery of time could be juggled so that Great Senastion and Il Tempo, at the same age, same weight and both at their peak, could clash over two miles in a 12-horse field, I would walk barefoot over broken glass to see the outcome...'

Vain retired the year after I became interested in Racing, Lloyd.

I had his 'Racetrack' full frontal pic on my bedroom wall, heh heh...

From 'Wikipedia', Lloyd:

Vain (1966

I saw Vain race in the slipper in Sydney and he was a freak but Black Caviar is a very very special girl.....

Vain was beaten twice, once in the 1969 Sires where the trainer blamed himself for not giving him a gallop after the Slipper.

The horse that beat him Beau Babylon was then beaten ten lengths by Vain in the Champagne.

The other was when Daryl's Joy (nz) beat him in the Moonee Valley stakes.

It will be interesting to see where Black Caviar goes , her distance range and longevity, BUT it's hard to imagine her being beaten other than injury or catastrophe.

They sit side by side IMHO.

I saw Vain race in the slipper in Sydney and he was a freak but Black Caviar is a very very special girl.....

Vain was beaten twice, once in the 1969 Sires where the trainer blamed himself for not giving him a gallop after the Slipper.

The horse that beat him Beau Babylon was then beaten ten lengths by Vain in the Champagne.

The other was when Daryl's Joy (nz) beat him in the Moonee Valley stakes.

It will be interesting to see where Black Caviar goes , her distance range and longevity, BUT it's hard to imagine her being beaten other than injury or catastrophe.

They sit side by side IMHO.

Cheers for that Pogo - always good to hear your thoughts... I tend to agree with you..

As an aside - wasn't that a fantastic mag!!? I had my wall covered in A4 shots of many of the greats of that era - and I can still remember some of them: Gunsynd, Leilani, Tontonan, Dalrello, Dulcify, Vain, Manikato, Dual Choice, Desirable, Ming Dynasty, Rain Lover - even old Think Big!!

Yes, brilliant mag...

Our not-so-sadly-long-departed HR nutter wanted me to invest in a series of those inane 'Motivational' posters so that our hard-working staff might take a break from the coalface and gaze at, say, a pic of a guy on top of a mountain peak with some 'inspirational' quote plastered about it like AMBITION: Aspire to climb as high as you can.

Yawn, eh?

We had a vote. 1 person was for the idea. 34 were against.

A further vote decisively favoured us all shutting up shop early and - in company time, of course - spending the inspirational budget by going to that Go Kart track in that factory on the Hutt Motorway and getting motivation that way...

The HR nutter further queered his pitch with the staff by not attending, ha...

Being a laissez-faire company our policy is to let the staff bedeck their cubicles with whatever they like.

Dartboards with pics of the dear sweet proprietor are frowned at, though...

Behind me, e.g., is a really neat framed poster of Ada Hunter's best horse, heh heh, stretching out to donkey-lick the AJC Derby field of his year and which has the wonderful Bedouin quote

'And God took a handful

of southerly wind,

blew His breath over it and

created the horse.'

He is actually ranked 66 and deserves to be there. I'm glad he's smiling Murray. :)

You mean to tell me there are actually people capable of operating a computer and participating in an online poll - who would rank 65 horses superior to The One, The ONLY, KINGSTON TOWN????

As The Sheriff muttered earlier on another thread - where are the men in white coats when you need them??!!!!... :D

Sounds like there should be a 'Claytons' in front of this list.... ??

Well, it's a poll ... a moving poll.

Who is to know how many friends of any particular horse's owner cast 'votes' for that horse, heh heh...

Oooh, I remember Petite Etoile, Berri. Have the book on her somewhere!