RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
myk

Hurricanes

Guest Quarter horse
Heh heh, Qh...

I did stand up and say 'Hit me!', didn't I?

Still, I will give a couple or three reasons for my (maybe blind) optimism:

1. A lot of players are going to retire/go overseas after the Rugby World Cup. As an illustration, it seems that the ballboy is the only guy with the Bulls (in Pretoria) to say he'll be back next year. The Canes will at least have had their youngsters 'in play' for the best part of a season...

2. I actually rate the Hurricanes backs that ran out onto the field on Saturday night better than sides of this year that had Jane, Nonu and Smith in them. All three looked to be not interested in all the games they played together. Weepu back at halfback would be a big boost - the No 9 on Saturday night made a couple of truly horrific 'kicks' and seemed to be more of a hindrance to his forwards that a link between them and the backs.

3. The current Canes pack ain't half bad. They have livewire loosies, a good lineout, an improving scrum (though I'll watch that closely on Friday against the Blues!)...

Critique away, heh heh...

You rate that backline better than their AB-laden backline based on one performance? That's an interesting observation to say the least. I've never ever seen Conrad Smith give anything but 100% in any game he's played yet you say he has appeared disinterested. I must pay closer attention as obviously I've missed something. And what about that gaping hole in midfield that led to the Reds first try. Any thoughts there?

Tell me something. Do you think the Reds lost much sleep prior to that game once they had a look at the Canes teamsheet? And do you think Ewen McKenzie's decision to tinker with his starting 15 had anything to do with the inexperienced Canes lineup they were facing?

As for the Canes forward pack, who has impressed you and why? You say their scrum is improving, but you'll wait to see how they go against the Blues before commenting further. Interesting. Is their scrum really improving or was it because they were playing the Reds who aren't noted for having a strong scrum? Plus the Blues will be without Woodcock, so I'd be a bit cautious before beating the drums if I was you. What's impressed you about the lineout? Why do you think the loosies performed well?

I look forward to reading your analysis.

I look forward to reading your analysis.

One analysis coming up!

Remember that my rating is on a 'going ahead' basis. I think that the backline that started on Saturday night - yes, even on just one performance - is better for the Canes going ahead than their 'AB-laden backline'. That's just opinion, of course. I am not knocking effort - Conrad Smith's, eg - but he, Nonu and Jane have, to me, looked disinterested for large chunks of each game I have seen them in...

Jane, too, remember, won't be here next season...

Holes, erm, generally 'gape.' If they didn't gape, they wouldn't be holes. Just as the cricket commenators persist in referring to 'vacant gaps' in a field setting. If the gaps weren't vacant, they wouldn't be gaps, would they?

I am sure, too, it wouldn't take much research to find occasions when the wonderful defence of Nonu, Smith and/or Jane was breached just as horrifically as for the Reds' first try on Saturday night!

No, I don't think the Reds would have lost too much sleep looking at the in-progress Canes line-up. I am sure their team selections and, especially after their try-gifted start, they actually thought it was going to be a stroll in the park. Literally, ha. Their surliness throughout the game was just a manifestation of their realisation that 'Sh*t, we're erred there...'

Re my comment that the 'scrum is improving, but you'll wait to see how they go against the Blues before commenting further. Interesting. Is their scrum really improving or was it because they were playing the Reds who aren't noted for having a strong scrum? Plus the Blues will be without Woodcock, so I'd be a bit cautious before beating the drums if I was you.'

I'm not beating the drums - hence the caveat that I'd want to see them perform similarly well against stronger sides, the Blues this week and - particularly - the Saders on June 18.

One game, as you rightly point out, doesn't make a season...

Again, everything I say relates to next season's prospects ... when certain other teams will be denuded of current stars.

Over to you...

Guest Quarter horse

Again, everything I say relates to next season's prospects ... when certain other teams will be denuded of current stars.

Over to you...

Next year the Canes will be without Schwalger, Perenise, probably Tialata, and maybe Hore.

How do you think your rookie back-line will perform behind an even greener forward pack? Or is a decent forward pack not that important from where you're sitting?

Next year the Canes will be without Schwalger, Perenise, probably Tialata, and maybe Hore.

3 out of those 4 aren't much chop compared to the talent most of the other NZ S15 teams have up front.

The following backline would be no disgrace to most AB teams:Jane,Toeava,Sivi,Smith,Nonu,Carter and Weepu.But none of these players will be on the paddock this week due to injury.Latest casualty is Toeava,out for probably 8 weeks with reoccurrence of hip injury which kept him out previously for long period.

Guest Quarter horse
3 out of those 4 aren't much chop compared to the talent most of the other NZ S15 teams have up front.

So you'd replace them with who? And don't say Michael Bent, as he's already been tried at this level and been found to not have the strength to give the scrum the stability that the backs need.

There is a huuuuge step up from ITM to Super Rugby, with an equally large step up to Test level. Perenise is a very good bench man who will be missed, and despite the criticism Tialata cops, when he's fit he sets a platform as good as most.

And a decent tighthead lock wouldn't go amiss either.

The Canes pack is gonna get pasted 2moro night. The Blues will cruise home on autopilot on the back of a totally dominant forward pack. They dont have the game plan or the coach to destroy the Canes as they should. .... and they will not take the Canes lightly as the Reds did. Blues by 12

The Canes pack is gonna get pasted 2moro night. The Blues will cruise home on autopilot on the back of a totally dominant forward pack. They dont have the game plan or the coach to destroy the Canes as they should. .... and they will not take the Canes lightly as the Reds did. Blues by 12

Mmmm, Kiah.

The only trouble with that is that the Blues have the nasty knack in 2011 of romping away early, thinking the game is over ... and then having to cling on grimly/rediscover their points-scoring ability late on so as to secure the points...

I think 12 might be a bit high a Blues margin, given the above. I'll say 5. Though I reserve the right to cheer mightily for the Canes...

Guest Quarter horse

http://tiptaptip.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/egg-on-face1.jpg

I don't think Rugby is a game you should be commenting on as you couldn't have been more wrong.

The Canes scrum dominated the Blues, as did their lineout, and they were more committed at the breakdown.

If it wasn't for a stupid error by the worst halfback ever to play Super Rugby then the Canes would have got up (the 2nd worst halfback, for those that are wondering, is the halfback that the 'worst ever' replaced).

Still, Murray Meads will be happy, as any comments he makes about the Canes this year should be taken as meaning that they relate to their chances next year...even though they won't have any props...and those same props who have systematically destroyed the last two opposition scrums are the same ones that Madlib doesn't rate.

Is there anyone on here that actually knows a THING about Rugby?

http://tiptaptip.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/egg-on-face1.jpg

I don't think Rugby is a game you should be commenting on as you couldn't have been more wrong.

The Canes scrum dominated the Blues, as did their lineout, and they were more committed at the breakdown.

If it wasn't for a stupid error by the worst halfback ever to play Super Rugby then the Canes would have got up (the 2nd worst halfback, for those that are wondering, is the halfback that the 'worst ever' replaced).

Still, Murray Meads will be happy, as any comments he makes about the Canes this year should be taken as meaning that they relate to their chances next year...even though they won't have any props...and those same props who have systematically destroyed the last two opposition scrums are the same ones that Madlib doesn't rate.

Is there anyone on here that actually knows a THING about Rugby?

Nothing wrong with Keats. But for a jammy strip on the line he would have been the match winner. I suppose Brendon Haami was one of your favs??? :rolleyes:

Curious...

I have 21 e-mails and 4 texts all saying variations of 'Hey, Prop, looks like your nutter pal Taylor is back...'

So I go check:

Rubbishing of any opinion other than his own? Check

Total contradiction of his own statements? Check

Idiotic links to 'humorous' pics? Check

Yep, mailers and texters, I think you are right!

Do these words ring a bell, 'quarter horse'?:

'As for the Canes forward pack, who has impressed you and why? You say their scrum is improving, but you'll wait to see how they go against the Blues before commenting further. Interesting. Is their scrum really improving or was it because they were playing the Reds who aren't noted for having a strong scrum?'

And yet, last night, again in your words, 'The Canes scrum dominated the Blues, as did their lineout, and they were more committed at the breakdown.'

Which statement is operative?

I said that the Hurricanes backs look far better (not just this season but also with 2012 in mind) as a unit without Nonu, Smith and Jane.

And last night, again, they did.

And I said, too, that the forward pack was improving.

And last night, again, they improved further.

As you rightly point out - see, I can give you credit when your are (at least partly) right. Why do you find it so hard to be similarly gracious when I (perhaps by fluke ;)) get something part right too? - they will need to replace two props next year. My point there was that a lot of other teams will have similar problems given post RWC retirements and money-earning trips up North.

I'd ask 'Do you know anything about rugby?' but the sarcasm would likely pass over your head(s)...

Guest Quarter horse
Nothing wrong with Keats. But for a jammy strip on the line he would have been the match winner. I suppose Brendon Haami was one of your favs??? :rolleyes:

So why didn't Canterbury want to keep him then?

As it was, he cost the Canes the match.

Guest Quarter horse

I said that the Hurricanes backs look far better (not just this season but also with 2012 in mind) as a unit without Nonu, Smith and Jane.

And last night, again, they did.

So the combination of Eaton, Cruden, Kirkpatrick, Hayward, Gear, Leiua & Taylor did it for you last night did they? Impressed with all the inaccurate passes by both Eaton and Cruden were you? And I take it that you'd prefer Kirkpatrick at 2nd five over Nonu? Hayward over Smith?

Mate...you're dreaming!

So why didn't Canterbury want to keep him then?

As it was, he cost the Canes the match.

No he didnt. The Canes inconsistency cost them the match. They had about half a dozen decent breaks and every time blew it by dropping ball. The last 2 minutes they actually looked and performed like a complete team. They were also aided by Stephen Brett who did his best to gift the Canes tha game through poor kicking or dumb options. A terrible first 5/8.

Guest Quarter horse
No he didnt. The Canes inconsistency cost them the match. They had about half a dozen decent breaks and every time blew it by dropping ball. The last 2 minutes they actually looked and performed like a complete team. They were also aided by Stephen Brett who did his best to gift the Canes tha game through poor kicking or dumb options. A terrible first 5/8.

Agree re Brett...though the rest of your post is mostly bollocks.

Grade: Not achieved.:D

Agree re Brett...though the rest of your post is mostly bollocks.

Grade: Not achieved.:D

So you are saying the Canes DID NOT drop the ball when they made breaks that should have been converted into tries? Just a "yes" or "no" will do.

Mate...you're dreaming!

I dream under a consistent name, qh...

Don't treat my failure to respond to any of your posts under this guise as an sort of 'win' for you...

Nathan, sure the Taranaki halfback had a chance to cover himself with glory but he also covered himself with sh*t when the Blues, looking almost beaten, scored, what, 8 points while he was in the bin ... and when he failed to dot down right at the end.

I dream under a consistent name, qh...

Don't treat my failure to respond to any of your posts under this guise as an sort of 'win' for you...

Nathan, sure the Taranaki halfback had a chance to cover himself with glory but he also covered himself with sh*t when the Blues, looking almost beaten, scored, what, 8 points while he was in the bin ... and when he failed to dot down right at the end.

Being binned and getting the ball stripped in the last seconds were more beneficial than leaving Eaton on at halfback! :D

Being binned and getting the ball stripped in the last seconds were more beneficial than leaving Eaton on at halfback! :D

They are much of a muchness, aren't they?

Dunno if you have any mates still in the Naki who have young boys. If you do, you should let them (the dads) know not to kit their boys out in Hurricanes 9 jerseys when I visit New Plymouth for a couple of World Cup games. I may just turn feral on 'em!

I'll get the (latest) Taylor clone upset at me (again) but Weepu is the only of the Hurricanes' All Blacks backs I'd have back...

Looking forward to 2012, of course, given that this season is now offocially as dead as doubtless a few duck shooters will be this weekend, ha...

Guest Quarter horse
So you are saying the Canes DID NOT drop the ball when they made breaks that should have been converted into tries? Just a "yes" or "no" will do.

Calm down Nathan, as you've got more pressing issues to deal with. Like how you plan to respond to dilligaf the next time he baits you, knowing now that dilligaf is actually Traka!;)

They are much of a muchness, aren't they?

Dunno if you have any mates still in the Naki who have young boys. If you do, you should let them (the dads) know not to kit their boys out in Hurricanes 9 jerseys when I visit New Plymouth for a couple of World Cup games. I may just turn feral on 'em!

I'll get the (latest) Taylor clone upset at me (again) but Weepu is the only of the Hurricanes' All Blacks backs I'd have back...

Looking forward to 2012, of course, given that this season is now offocially as dead as doubtless a few duck shooters will be this weekend, ha...

:D

Have a few mates with kids up there, but with their breeding they may well be carrying on the tradition of producing Taranaki front rowers rather than nippy halfbacks. :D We havnt had a decent No.9 since Richard Jarman. He wasnt the most gifted but he played to his strengths and rarely made daft decisions like Haami, Goodin, and Associates.

Calm down Nathan, as you've got more pressing issues to deal with. Like how you plan to respond to dilligaf the next time he baits you, knowing now that dilligaf is actually Traka!]

Oooh how the Race Cafe web weaves. Must make another profile for myself just to keep up with the insecure. :)

:D

Have a few mates with kids up there, but with their breeding they may well be carrying on the tradition of producing Taranaki front rowers rather than nippy halfbacks.

The thought of lumbering Taranaki front rowers attempting to procreate is not too edifying, ha...

Still, at least they are unlikely to produce children, a la Cory Jane, with names like - good grief - Prisseis Amelia, Cassius and Tennyson.

The thought of lumbering Taranaki front rowers attempting to procreate is not too edifying, ha...

If they need 'Crouch, Pause, Touch, ENGAGE' just to pack a scrum down, God knows what help they need to insert you-know-what you-know-where...