RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
myk

Hurricanes

Can this team get any worse than what they are currently.From 1-15 on last nights effort plus the coach,need a major wake up call.Any team with a lead of 17 should not end up being beaten by 22.I lay most of the blame on the coach,especially when Hore is one of their better players and gets subbed after 47 minutes.What coaching credentials does Hammett hold to be placed coaching in a competition one tier below international rugby.None of the back 5 have yet scored a try,maybe next week with the return of Gear and advising Vito that a game of rugby is 80 minutes,not 20.As said,theres only one way they can go after last night,and thats up.They're at their lowest.

I am surprised that so few people around now seem to care.

Soft forwards and errors in the backs. Nonu and Smith seem gone for all money as the first choice midfield. Lucky that the Crusaders duo are going well, fingers crossed that I dont hex em for the morning :)

PS Back to my hobby horse - being SACK Blues coach Blues Lam - Lam is making noise in the media about their inconsistency. Despite two wins where fortune favoured them greatly - I am still not able to discern any kind of meaningful coaching strategy - has anyone else had any success??

although I am being sorely tested.

Canes forwards are soft and playing like a bunch who met when they handed the jumpers out in the change rooms.

So many Canes are playing themselves out of form it is not funny anymore.

With travel, tickets and refreshments, I would have spent over $60, for what? I was hoping to see some world class players, sadly they were not wearing the grey away strip.

Hammett has got to start laying down the law.

And I couldn't give a stuff about Pat Lam and the Auckwackers.

It was a bizarre match and if Hufkissin wanted to see some world class play, he should have left after 18 minutes with Canes up 17 to nil.

Interesting that it was against the Melbourne Rebels, as the turnaround reminded me of momentum changes in some Aussie Rules games.

Canes appeared to go this is all too easy and eased up. That Savea looks another one whose been pitched in too soon. His being fended off twice in the one movement, leading to a Rebels try, looked poor.

now will he walk the walk.

Hurricanes need good look in mirror - Hammett Toby Robson

March 28, 2011 - 10:24AM

If the truth hurts, so be it.

Hurricanes coach Mark Hammett has left little to the imagination in questioning the commitment of some of his players after their demoralising capitulation in Melbourne.

The former Crusader is dismayed by the way his side fell apart during their 42-25 loss to the injury-hit Rebels.

"There is nothing wrong with our game plan. It's micro-stuff, how do we prepare and play as individuals? Character is not a sometimes thing, it's an all the time thing," he said yesterday.

"When you get those things becoming an always thing it comes into your game. It becomes part of your life and for a few of us that's maybe not the case right now."

The Hurricanes' plight cannot be understated and it worth noting that their position of ninth on the points table is a flattering one.

Had they not gained four points for their bye and two for the cancelled "draw" against the Crusaders, they would have just four competition points placing them dead last on the log after six weeks with a solitary win over the Chiefs.

Hammett wasn't singling out individuals publicly, but pivotal senior players

Forgive me Canes supporters.

I posted because at the time, only 44 had viewed this thread and in past years it would have been way higher. As is, only 110 have viewed this thread now.

My wife is a born and bred Canes fan and she hates that grey strip. She understands the financial aspects but doesnt care.

I really respect Hammett. His hard nosed approach from many years in a tough pack warrants all the respect in the world.

But what do people expect him to do?? Drop his best players?

How do you instil mongrel and guts into a soft pack??

A teamtalk might work for the first 20 minutes - but when you are tired and the waves of attacks keep coming, if you arent tough you are gonna cave. And thats what they are doing!

Cory Jane has been playing well til this game - and even then it wasnt all his fault. He is still terrific.

Maa is just plain dumb. He does some god awful things at times. Clearly possesses the strength and speed etc to do anything BUT is also just as likely to earn a card at any time of the match.

Smith always gives 110%

Something seems wrong with Hore this year. Maybe he doesnt believe in his pack.

Tialata and Thrush are dumb and soft. I cannot believe anyone ever wanted Thrush in the ABs.

There are too many holes in this squad. They should have lost to the Chiefs too. The Chiefs were unlucky.

However, Good luck people. I wish you and Hammett well.

Is Ma'a dumb? In recent seasons he's peaked for the All Black games later in the season and my bet is that he's on the same path this year. Selfish maybe, and certainly not good for the Canes, but surely not "dumb".

Rebels game was a team psychy thing. They switched off. They showed a lack of respect for a team they saw as easy beats.They will not do so against the Bulls this weekend.

Is Ma'a dumb? In recent seasons he's peaked for the All Black games later in the season and my bet is that he's on the same path this year. Selfish maybe, and certainly not good for the Canes, but surely not "dumb".

Rebels game was a team psychy thing. They switched off. They showed a lack of respect for a team they saw as easy beats.They will not do so against the Bulls this weekend.

As Hammett said,too much individual play.I thought it was his job to coach as a team and if most of these ego driven players don't want to participate as a team,drop them altogether for 2-3 weeks,not just to come off the bench the following week.Nothing is worse than being available and not being selected.

As Hammett said,too much individual play.I thought it was his job to coach as a team and if most of these ego driven players don't want to participate as a team,drop them altogether for 2-3 weeks,not just to come off the bench the following week.Nothing is worse than being available and not being selected.

No! No need for axings just yet. You tell them they were gutless, that they let themselves and their fans down. You make them watch a video of the game three or four times. Then you remind them that they're playing the defending champions and ask them what they intend to do about it.

Yup! He is plain dumb. All his yellow and red cards (and a bunch of penalties) are for the same mistakes. Tackling late, spear tackles, high tackles and tackling with no arms. He has had eight seasons of doing this ... with no sign that he has got the message!

Granted he can do great things ... still doesnt make him clever.

I find these sort of games far more interesting than the average. Much more on the line.

Hurricanes were rubbish last time and will be desperate to prove themselves. But can they? Senior All Black players need to step up. Hammett needs a result or his coaching and motivational ability needs to be seriously questioned.

Then there's the Bulls, who have been average to date. They need to lift and here they are playing the worst performing NZ team. If they lose here, where will they win on this tour?

I find these sort of games far more interesting than the average. Much more on the line.

Hurricanes were rubbish last time and will be desperate to prove themselves. But can they? Senior All Black players need to step up. Hammett needs a result or his coaching and motivational ability needs to be seriously questioned.

Then there's the Bulls, who have been average to date. They need to lift and here they are playing the worst performing NZ team. If they lose here, where will they win on this tour?

Yep dead right Roo. Could end up being a good old fashioned test match - not pretty but very intriguing.

anyone know how the TAB could possibly have the Canes as favourites tonight. I took the 1.87 with the bulls with a 6.5 headstart. Hoping for a narrow canes win. Thought the odds were awful.

The Canes were much improved, but not good enough. In the modern game of tight defence in only takes two mistakes to turn a game. The two in this game were -

1. Cory Jane passing at Savea's feet and a certain try goes begging.

2. Nonu runs a poor line in defence and Bulls centre slips his tackle to set up the match sealing try.

Two All Blacks, two errors and the game is gone.

The Canes were much improved, but not good enough. In the modern game of tight defence in only takes two mistakes to turn a game. The two in this game were -

1. Cory Jane passing at Savea's feet and a certain try goes begging.

2. Nonu runs a poor line in defence and Bulls centre slips his tackle to set up the match sealing try.

Two All Blacks, two errors and the game is gone.

Looking good for world cup?

do they have more all blacks than the crusaders and when i mean saying that i mean players that were selected in the latest squad in there backline they have got cruden,nonu,smith,jane and gear. why arn't they performing with that great backline are those players worrying about getting a spot in the world cup.

Nonu got sonny bill wanting his jersey

Smith got robbie fruen wanting his

jane got sean maitland wanting his.

Is that pressure getting to the players.

Yup, he is dumb!!

Keeps making the same yellow card offences even though he knows not to do them. Keeps hitting high and late. Keeps tackling without arms, keeps spear tackling. He has done all of this for the past six seasons and has earned a great number of penalties and yellow cards. That is enough to warrant the dumb tag.

do they have more all blacks than the crusaders and when i mean saying that i mean players that were selected in the latest squad in there backline they have got cruden,nonu,smith,jane and gear. why arn't they performing with that great backline are those players worrying about getting a spot in the world cup.

Nonu got sonny bill wanting his jersey

Smith got robbie fruen wanting his

jane got sean maitland wanting his.

Is that pressure getting to the players.

I really think there are some serious issues going on within this franchise.I think from the top they are really regretting letting Jamie Joesph.If there is player revolt against Mark Hammett(as has been mentioned to me more than twice)the players should be thrown out.I know in the same circumstances with JJ,a few of those senior players would be lucky to still be in the squad.Every now and then such players allow their ego to lead them to believe that they are bigger than the game,but I am yet to see one.Brown Bomber,you are right about the backs.At last count I had 10 missing from last years squad,and look who 3 of the backs were from the Hurricanes franchise region.Guilford,Dagg&Mathewson.Something is not adding up.

I'm not sure that Jamie Joseph would have done much better with the Hurricanes this year. He has succeeded down south because he's fully aware of the culture and it suits hsi style very well. Rough as guts underdogs willing to scrap for every ball. He can work with that. The culture in the Hurricanes is quite different.

Really if you look at the cultures in all the different franchises they appear quite set and, I believe, unlikely to change in a hurry. Can Hammett bring a

Crusaders like culture to the Canes. I don't think so.

The Hurricanes not only win in SA,but put up 50 points against the opposition,although letting the cheetahs score 17 points in 15min before halftime.I suppose I shouldn't be to critical as have not yet seen game,but will make Foster wish the series finish earlier than scheduled.

The Hurricanes not only win in SA,but put up 50 points against the opposition,although letting the cheetahs score 17 points in 15min before halftime.I suppose I shouldn't be to critical as have not yet seen game,but will make Foster wish the series finish earlier than scheduled.

Myk, after last year's similar pointsfest between the Chiefs and Whoever (the Lions?), one of the Northern Hemisphere anti-Super-Rugby newspaper folk wrote something like '99 points scored, 2 tackles seen...'

When Jeremy Thrush can run 50 metres to score a winning try you have to agree with that sort of summation!

I thought some of the game was pretty awful. But the win was merited. I wouldnt be selecting anyone for the ABs from the game.

Pretorius is really sticking his hand up for a Springbok jersey. Has been the form halfback of the comp in my opinion.

Going back to other comments on the thread, I think that the Canes are long overdue to change their culture. Despite some terrific players each year - they havent won the Super comp yet - so it hasnt worked.

Heard that Rennie left because of the culture and in fighting going on here. it appears that if you arent from the right school or the right club then you dont get a fair go coming through the grades. There is a lot of talent that has been picked up by the northern and southern scouts.

Case in point - Cory Jane. Never made a single age grade side coming through because he went to Upper Hutt College despite displaying great talent from an early age.

Hopefully, new blood like Jim Te Puni (Wgtn CEO) can make a difference.

When Jeremy Thrush can run 50 metres to score a winning try you have to agree with that sort of summation!

No one in front of him, the season riding on it, very long legs, adrenalin pumping, thin air on the high veldt and an outrageous dummy. There you have it.