RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
lamour

Jackpots

I remember in my youth hearing of large jackpots at race meetings.  If Lotto is allowed to have jackpots up to 50mil why is racing not offering bets capable of jackpotting to 1 or 2 mil.  It would create a lot of interest & buzz and bring in extra sorely needed revenue to the industry. 

Agree.

I always thought TAB had the vehicle with P6 to mix it up a bit, with sport and racing combined to get the general populace involved ie number of sixes in a one day, winning time of a race, how many tries in test match, winning margin by a horse  etc etc. Imagine the interest resting on the last event if someone was live going into the last.

Just a thought.

18 minutes ago, CosmicBlackie said:

Agree.

I always thought TAB had the vehicle with P6 to mix it up a bit, with sport and racing combined to get the general populace involved ie number of sixes in a one day, winning time of a race, how many tries in test match, winning margin by a horse  etc etc. Imagine the interest resting on the last event if someone was live going into the last.

Just a thought.

The TAB did offer a mixture of Sports and Racing previously in a Pick 6 format

I remember striking it lucky

From memory Greg Cowie won a leg on a Steve Cornwell trained horse (Frosty Lopaz?) at $30 odd

Another leg was, I think, Canterbury to beat Wellington by 13+ which we had anchored. We needed a last minute try to achieve the 13+ I'm sure

Mikie

14 minutes ago, lamour said:

We could have 4 gallops, 4 harness & 4 Dogs.  12 races should see a few good jackpots.  Or how about pick the winner of every race on the program?

Given the rank failure of Triple Trio it might be that NZ punters are not attracted to  multiple jackpot  punt types . I'm postulating the TAB's current mix is there to ensure regular turnover and thus greater stake returns.

Greg

3 hours ago, CosmicBlackie said:

Agree.

Just a thought.

A mixture of gallops, trots and head to head sport would get me interested.

3 hours ago, JJ Flash said:

Given the rank failure of Triple Trio it might be that NZ punters are not attracted to  multiple jackpot  punt types . I'm postulating the TAB's current mix is there to ensure regular turnover and thus greater stake returns.

Greg

Big pots lead to increased betting. It's a proven fact.

11 minutes ago, lamour said:

Big pots lead to increased betting. It's a proven fact.

I agree to some extent  but its how you get those big pots . Usually they take a long time and involve a lot of losses  by regular punters. As soon as pools get up every syndicate and his dog joins in. Just look at lotto with its 50 mio jackpot, people that never take them join in  for a one off  event.

Greg

21 minutes ago, lamour said:

Exactly,  that's the whole point

The counter argument for want of a better phrase is its the regular betters who provide TAB with majority of income.  Using the Multiplier Effect turnover on normal betting options is far greater for them and thus more income. The rest are one offs

Greg

Lotto is not seen as gambling...its more a raffle with generally a worthwhile prize and often a huge windfall.

Note  all the ads this week telling of the money the 'profits' pours back into the community.

I haven't bought Lotto since 1987 , but a few months back found myself lining up 20 deep in a 'dairy' spending $76 on tickets....didnt even know what to ask for !

Meanwhile a flutter on horses , common in every workplace up to 1987 ,with syndicates and Xmas clubs etc is seen more and more , as a BAD form of gambling undertook by shady types !

Sports betting is growing rapidly ,its more accepted .

Sports will be wanting more of the TAB's surplus which will be a real problem for the racing industry ,if we don't have enough already ..

Plus we are not like Australia ...Racing is disappearing from our DNA ,we much smaller and the Government won't do anything much to help the jobs etc.

5 minutes ago, JJ Flash said:

The counter argument for want of a better phrase is its the regular betters who provide TAB with majority of income.  Using the Multiplier Effect turnover on normal betting options is far greater for them and thus more income. The rest are one offs

Greg

Regular bettors will still bet.  We need new money coming into the industry.    A jackpot type bet could replace the pick 6.

I am not convinced that having all these various other betting types lead to increased betting.  There is a school of thought that it just dilutes the pools for the main betting types.  Look at trebles now, pools are pathetic.

These things need to be tried. If we don't try new things and innovate we will get nowhere.  Hey if it doesn't work we don't have to continue with it.

But if it doesn't work it would go against all previous history of bigger pots leading to more interest, just look at lotto as you have said yourself.

12 minutes ago, lamour said:

A jackpot type bet could replace the pick 6.

Possibly but from memory all those big pots were mainly on course only ones . Given how many attended races these days might you concede that it would take a long time to build up larger pots at the expense of higher revenue producing products

13 minutes ago, lamour said:

These things need to be tried. If we don't try new things and innovate we will get nowhere

The TAB introduced Triple trio which was poorly received and patronised  in NZ despite its popularity offshore, especially HKG

51 minutes ago, JJ Flash said:

Possibly but from memory all those big pots were mainly on course only ones . Given how many attended races these days might you concede that it would take a long time to build up larger pots at the expense of higher revenue producing products

The TAB introduced Triple trio which was poorly received and patronised  in NZ despite its popularity offshore, especially HKG

I think triple trio was not designed very well.  A simple bet such as pick 10 or pick 12 would be more likely to succeed in my opinion.  Works well on Harness in Europe.

Of course we could consider the alternative and do nothing,  lets see where that gets us.....probably where it has got us to now.

1 minute ago, lamour said:

I think triple trio was not designed very well.  A simple bet such as pick 10 or pick 12 would be more likely to succeed in my opinion.  Works well on Harness in Europe.

Of course we could consider the alternative and do nothing,  lets see where that gets us.....probably where it has got us to now.

As you say , it might be better trying something along the lines of what you have outlined than nothing at all . In case you have not seen it i have called fro more innovation from NZTAB for years. Even made a suggestion to the last board about a large potential winner fro them with no real costs for them . Never heard back. The RITA crew seem far more commercially savvy IMHO but its a long road back from what they inherirted

Greg

On 2/27/2020 at 10:00 AM, JJ Flash said:

Greg

I enjoyed the 6 packs as I got 2 of those. 10k each . One at Riccarton , other at Nelson  (harness).

On 2/27/2020 at 9:46 AM, lamour said:

We could have 4 gallops, 4 harness & 4 Dogs.  12 races should see a few good jackpots.  Or how about pick the winner of every race on the program?

The Old man achieved that near impossible feat one day at Ellerslie in the late 70s but had he wallet stolen after 4 races and picked every other winner in the  police room, the prick got caught and was ordered to pay $5 a week for 3 years.... he saw $5 of it :rcf-sad-8:

Is it wise to create more pools when present ones are so small.     Personally I think one of the problems is the TAB's obsession with wall to wall meetings diluting the local product.    99.9% of punters (or flutterers) would not miss the dogs at Outer Bacou or the gallops in Niugini or the harness at Boston Mass - most will either refrain from betting at those meetings or bet locally if they really have the bug.    With the ever diminishing patronage they are really playing into the hands of (low return) sports betting.      

No more carry over pools. If you bet into a pool those who invested should see a result at the end of it, its one thing i hear over and again from people who dont punt anymore, the carry overs are theft. If people are getting paid they are more likely to reinvest . The pools will grow over time as a consequence. Surely :rcf-thinking:

2 hours ago, Gruff said:

No more carry over pools. If you bet into a pool those who invested should see a result at the end of it, its one thing i hear over and again from people who dont punt anymore, the carry overs are theft. If people are getting paid they are more likely to reinvest . The pools will grow over time as a consequence. Surely :rcf-thinking:

Remember the On course doubles, trifectas and forecasts, get a roughie in the first position and you could get money  paid on the third or any as a countback.