poundforpound

Parliamentary horse trading

59 posts in this topic

So both my impeccable sources say Winston is in big trouble, in fact both say he’s gone this time, for good ( neither source is National aligned if that matters )

It’s unclear what’s causing this but clearly the SFO factor must be a part of it.

It’s claimed that Jacinda has told him he has to resign as Minister For Racing because the SFO investigation is claiming you can “buy policy” if you donate money to NZF.

That’s of course known as corruption 

Personally I doubt it’s actually corruption, more just buying influence, but the sources say this government doesn’t want to go into a general election with allegations of a corrupt coalition partner as a burden

I’m also told Winston is now doing a deal with Labour whereby if he flip flops on Ihumatao and allows the government to buy that land back off Fletchers and gift it to SOUL / Pania Newton or an aligned trust then Jacinda may leave him temporarily as Minister For Racing 

Now Winston’s values ( or lack of ) aside, this raises quite a few problems for NZ racing

If Winnie is sidelined how does that impact on the Racing Amendment Bill, a bill that’s looking increasingly shambolic and less fit for purpose.

Secondly, if they do kick Winnie into touch completely and National sweeps to power again, how will they treat racing ? and why should they care about an industry that betrays them in favor of an old drunk time and time again ?

My analysis, and I’m always right, we’ve got rough seas ahead, and we’re going to pay a very high price for getting into bed with a toxic vituperative old drunk.

36 minutes ago, Stables said:

Your rather gleeful forecast of doom may be correct P4P but what alternative did we have, National were not interested in racing when in power and Labour and the Greens have never been interested

National will never embrace racing while we continue to flirt with the old drunk

I’ll give you an analogy that might help you understand 

You ( National )  love a girl ( racing ) and want to have a relationship with her .... but she keeps cheating on you with a sleazy old boy friend who’s a drunk, a liar, and probably a crook

As a result you’ve got an itchy crotch and a drippy dick 

Why would you bother ? my personal view, National should coalesce with the re-emerging Maori party and dedicate their resources to resolving racial division and associated injustice, and tell racing to get fucked until such time as racing sorts its own problems out and develops a more functional operating model that acts in the best interests of its participants 

There we go, precious insight and all for free 

May as well toss the towel in now, doomed either way, don't have a scrap of faith in labour who upset all the gun owners, trying to lock up all the farmers land, and now trying to flog all the racing clubs assets, upsetting all the whitebaiters, don't think I will be voting, national be no better.

3 minutes ago, Berri said:

I quite like the idea of backing David Seymour. He's quite intelligent, he advocates less government involvement in most matters and I think he's got a bit of gravitas. I'm meeting him to discuss racing policy and I'll report back.

Agree thats the way I see it. I dont like his euthanasia stance as its a disaster in Victoria. the grannies and grandpas there have cause to be nervous.

But he couild fill Winstons role with superior ethics.

1 hour ago, poundforpound said:

National will never embrace racing while we continue to flirt with the old drunk

I’ll give you an analogy that might help you understand 

You ( National )  love a girl ( racing ) and want to have a relationship with her .... but she keeps cheating on you with a sleazy old boy friend who’s a drunk, a liar, and probably a crook

As a result you’ve got an itchy crotch and a drippy dick 

Why would you bother ? my personal view, National should coalesce with the re-emerging Maori party and dedicate their resources to resolving racial division and associated injustice, and tell racing to get fucked until such time as racing sorts its own problems out and develops a more functional operating model that acts in the best interests of its participants 

There we go, precious insight and all for free 

Getting the Maoris onside will be a tough ask. While they have gripes with Labour on a few things ( what’s new ) they are more closely aligned with them than National. The distribution of huge dollops of largesse particularly to Northland won’t help either.

Its a case of follow the money or join the dots. For the latter the right wing site BFD (Slater) is flat out hating Nats and supporting Winston First. Why? Well Slater has gone bankrupt and a major creditor is his lawyer who is the legal advisor and a principal of NZF Foundation. 

The former - 'follow the money'. It has been proven the high end Racing people have poured money into NZF Foundation, as they were entitled tp, but the process was dodgy and it has thrown the whole Messara Review to the wolves : by the way the Act under discussion, has been written..

The bureaucrats are in the main of a very left persuasion (if not Marxists) Peters is besmirching  the "Princess of Vacuity." They have written up the act to capture racing. If that stays it will be a Buggers Muddle and will bring the end of the industry.

A sound economic case showing the economic and social good of the racing industry can be argued that any political  party could support. That is the position that should be adopted. I'm talking about jobs and financial return per hectare.

Leo agree with you that the future of racing is bleak. You have to be a masochist or economically illiterate to be an owner these days. Seems on average you get a derisory 22.9% return at the moment. What the heck I took a share of a yearling during the week. Looking forward to her running in your proposed $3,000 races!

7 minutes ago, chelseacol said:

Have to agree. 

The pursuit of self interest while abandoning fundamental principles of integrity/decency/etc is fraught with danger in many aspects of life.

Too many in our industry have followed this course of action in backing Peters - and now comes the karma.

But there's a new All Weather gallop  going in at Cambridge . 

Looking at donors,  and geography . Is that bad karma or good karma ?

26 minutes ago, Red Rum said:

But there's a new All Weather gallop  going in at Cambridge . 

Looking at donors,  and geography . Is that bad karma or good karma ?

You following your old mate Harlem today RR.....?? Interested to see how Constantinople goes fresh up.

Bivouac looks hard to beat but Faatinaah at 23’s is ridiculous money. He’ll Haunt us in R3 I’ll follow with Oliver sticking.

Super Seth v Melody Belle and Kolding. Hanseatic v Rulership...some great racing there....:rcfe-like:

18 minutes ago, Ohokaman said:

You following your old mate Harlem today RR.....?? Interested to see how Constantinople goes fresh up.

Bivouac looks hard to beat but Faatinaah at 23’s is ridiculous money. He’ll Haunt us in R3 I’ll follow with Oliver sticking.

Super Seth v Melody Belle and Kolding. Hanseatic v Rulership...some great racing there....:rcfe-like:

Harlem setting for his own race in few weeks .

Aktau out to 2000 about to jump. Love look of that horse.

5 hours ago, Berri said:

I quite like the idea of backing David Seymour. He's quite intelligent, he advocates less government involvement in most matters and I think he's got a bit of gravitas. I'm meeting him to discuss racing policy and I'll report back.

If he's a libertarian then he's probably got no interest in bailing out racing. We need government involvement if the industry is to survive. 

27 minutes ago, mckenzie said:

If he's a libertarian then he's probably got no interest in bailing out racing. We need government involvement if the industry is to survive. 

Wouldn’t you start by getting all the non racing people out of racing ?

Put the industry back in the hands of those who derive a living from it, just as every other sport is administered.

If and when the administrators and organizers need the industry to thrive so they can pay their mortgages and feed their kids things will quickly change for the better 

I’m not saying this is the panacea, but it’d sure be a good start.

1 hour ago, poundforpound said:

Wouldn’t you start by getting all the non racing people out of racing ?

Put the industry back in the hands of those who derive a living from it, just as every other sport is administered.

If and when the administrators and organizers need the industry to thrive so they can pay their mortgages and feed their kids things will quickly change for the better 

I’m not saying this is the panacea, but it’d sure be a good start.

I agree completely, you need people with a thorough knowledge of the sport running it. But for some reason they never get appointed. 

10 minutes ago, mckenzie said:

I agree completely, you need people with a thorough knowledge of the sport running it. But for some reason they never get appointed. 

Look at the RIU ....37 employees with just a couple of ex jockeys

NZTR, 40 employees and I can’t think of one who’s done anything 

RITA/NZRB/Trackside, God only knows how many employees but I don’t see too many owners or ex licensees amongst that lot 

Basically we have an industry lacking experienced racing people to run it....is that fair comment ?

That is a very fair comment. What we have lacked for years is a strong racing minded leader at the top who can steer the ship on the right course. As mediocrity has overtaken us all, getting the right people to the helm has become increasingly difficult as a negative image perception has crept into the den. How would Glenda Hughes and John Allen have known who the right people for the RIU were? No chance. So here we are with a dysfunctional RIU, who should be beyond reproach, who seem to provide more conflicts within the industry than a fact checking Donald Trump supporter. It's all about mediocrity.

Agree Berri, but I continue to come back to square one - why aren't the participants up in arms, said years ago they should boycott meetings as it needs a drastic action to get results

Meantime they will be served what they don't want - outcome inevitable we will run ghost meetings, sad state 

2 hours ago, TurnyTom said:

Agree Berri, but I continue to come back to square one - why aren't the participants up in arms, said years ago they should boycott meetings as it needs a drastic action to get results

Meantime they will be served what they don't want - outcome inevitable we will run ghost meetings, sad state 

What's the plan to boycott meetings , if running races here was making money why do they run an 8 race meeting in South and eliminate enough horses to fill 10 race card if every race a profit . Would there be a possibility the management might go sweet  can you boycott more meetings as we can beem in Dustville Downs , and/or pump sports betting more .

How would a boycott work , whats the tactics ? would it damage the club boycotted .

It's kind of withdrawing labour from something hardly anyone in NZ cares about .

It could be  taking a spud gun to a gun fight if strikers are not careful .

1 minute ago, TurnyTom said:

Give me your alternative what do you recommend to industry perticipants to protect them and survive with a financially viable business

Welcome your views

Striking probably will hurt some of the smaller outfits  badly , if say the one meeting at Riccarton in June  is targeted that will cost trainers there badly as closes in July .

I get its desperate for people , it may be the answer longer term  but cool heads will need to plan it carefully . They don't care when a meetings cancelled so won't care if one comes up with no noms .It will be hard to get all on board , owners could be severely pissed off .

Seems to me some well thought out submissions , racing should let  it take its course now and see how it heads . It's going to be a rocky few months heading to Sept with big issues for country , racing doing dough striking imho would be an error at this time .

My point is that for 30 years the in volved industry folk have done zippo, they have to now because their futures are fucked. NZ Racing is toast and industry submissions are tooth fairy stuff 

Sadly I think the average involved person under rates what will happen. Pure disaster looms, it really is very bad