RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
teletubby

90 liquor shops

on campbell live they showed PAPAKURA..

getting ready to open it's 90th liquor shop..

that works out to be 1 shop to every 500 residents...

when i was driving cabs and living there i can remember quite a few liquor shops but not 90..

have not been in that town for 2 1/2 years but a couple of my boys still live there ..they i hope/trust are responsible drinkers..

what is wrong with the council...

mr cullen should go back to baking pies...

was talking today old neibourhood friend on facebook and was just telling her about gore/mataura licencing trust.. there is about 7 liquor outlets down here

you can not buy wine etc in supermarkets and the prices are shocking..although barrel 51 is selling for $19.90 for a 12 pack..but if your a bourbon drinker. you'd know it is not a quality drink..

i guess i can understand why there is so much crime and unemployment in papakura... shame on you all

and guess what the guys that own these shops.. most likely all go to the same temple....

Teletubby, have to take you to task old chap . As you know I live in papakura and frankly I know Callum Penrose(the mayor) and have for some time, and believe it or not, they have NO SAY in the granting of liquor licences in their own town !!

As long as the applicant meets the criteria set down by the Liquor Licencing Trust they are granted a licence to sell liquor, and that includes the supermarkets as well.I know the council has opposed several being granted and has literally been told to shut up by the liquor licencing trust responsible for granting the licences.As a person also said in the same programme tonight, the trust does not have to take into account the number already there or the sighting of the shop etc, they have their own criteria to judge whether to give a licence or not- stupid eh !!

I also notice that the local member of parliament is very conspicious by her silence over all this,perhaps the tv programme may goad her into doing something but I will not hold my breath.

That teletubby is the other side of the argument and believe you me, I give the council "hell" when I think they deserve it but this time it was out of their hands,and always has been hence the number of licences granted by the liquor licencing people.Next Papakura will be known as the "slurp slurp glug glug" town of the new super city !!!

Cheers -Archie

thanks archie for putting me right.

i sat down last night and tried to remember where the liqour shops where when i was in papakura

cross st,liqour heaven,liqour world(next video place) edenburgh st,grove shops, 2x liqourland in railway st by countdown.

top o'shannasay st,troth bar (bad spell)

countdown,new world,woolworths,foodtown.papakura tavern,whitehouse,jolly farmer,the throghbred,rsa,papakura club..

sure i'm missing a couple..

like that house off tironui st, where they use to sell /drink liqour from he garage at the back..

with the young people rating at 25% of the population, papkura need to do something now as they will have major problems in the future..

by the way archie.. how many whore houses they got now.. think they had 3 when i lived up there..

as for the super city.. thats why i won't come back.. papakura/franklin need to stay out of that... y will distroy the areas.. and there is still some beautiful places up around those areas..

cheers young fella.

Teletubby, must confess i did not realise there were so many until I saw the article, knew there were a few but not that many.They have sprung up all over the place and the council has no power to stop them,the liquor licencing people just approve them willy nilly according to their own rules.

The problem seems to be that persons of age buy for the young ones and then go out and supply it to them, have seen this from the local hairdressers on the corner of Broadway and Oshannessey street, he has something like 7 liquor outlets withing spitting distance of his shop,and a new one approved around the corner going in on Broadway.

As to your second question ,being the purified gentleman that I am !! have not counted them but have seen about three or four signs along the Takanini straight so there are some.I think you will find a few in Manukau City.

Cheers-Archie

The problem doesn't lie with the the local Liquor Licensing Authority which is the City or District Council, nor does it lie with the national Authority or the police. Those bodies only have power to enforce the liquor laws not alter or amend criteria for granting licenses. The problem lies in the Sale of Liquor Act and the liberalisations since the late 1980s when to improve the hodge podge of amendments upon amendments added over the years several reviews were conducted. While some worthwhile changes came about, the free vote or so called conscience vote in Parliament allowed all sorts of vested interests to get their spoke in and individual members to lobby for hare brained changes that just perpetuate the mish mash of liquor laws we have had since prohibition.

Coherent sense will never be applied to our liquor laws so long as we have the "free vote" in Parliament and the major parties are not prepared to take the bull by the horns and tackle the question of liquor legislation.

The result is that we went from restrictive regulation to complete liberalisation with the criteria for new licences being set in very limited and minimal terms in law and the rights of local communities to have a say in the allocation of licences in their areas vitually being removed. With the changes now virtually anyone can get a licence so long as they meet certain minimum requirements and it is issued with almost no reference to how many existing licences there are locally or where the outlet is to be.

It is totally illogical that political parties have set policies on education, road safety and health etc but when it comes to alcohol which can have a devastating effect on all those matters, we throw it open to a free vote where the outcome is like a lotto draw only less reliable and less predictable.

The problem doesn't lie with the the local Liquor Licensing Authority which is the City or District Council, nor does it lie with the national Authority or the police. Those bodies only have power to enforce the liquor laws not alter or amend criteria for granting licenses. The problem lies in the Sale of Liquor Act and the liberalisations since the late 1980s when to improve the hodge podge of amendments upon amendments added over the years several reviews were conducted. While some worthwhile changes came about, the free vote or so called conscience vote in Parliament allowed all sorts of vested interests to get their spoke in and individual members to lobby for hare brained changes that just perpetuate the mish mash of liquor laws we have had since prohibition.

Coherent sense will never be applied to our liquor laws so long as we have the "free vote" in Parliament and the major parties are not prepared to take the bull by the horns and tackle the question of liquor legislation.

The result is that we went from restrictive regulation to complete liberalisation with the criteria for new licences being set in very limited and minimal terms in law and the rights of local communities to have a say in the allocation of licences in their areas vitually being removed. With the changes now virtually anyone can get a licence so long as they meet certain minimum requirements and it is issued with almost no reference to how many existing licences there are locally or where the outlet is to be.

It is totally illogical that political parties have set policies on education, road safety and health etc but when it comes to alcohol which can have a devastating effect on all those matters, we throw it open to a free vote where the outcome is like a lotto draw only less reliable and less predictable.

You are spot on there Phill, Anything that is put to a "conscience" vote in parliament is suspect especially to do with liquour laws as most pollies dont have a conscience when it comes to alcohol :D