Charlie Bukowski

Do we need a 2 Tier System of Thoroughbred Racing

What an absolute disgrace at Riccarton this week. Nine noms for a $12,000 open 1,400m; six rated 85 and above, the top rated horse 92. For $12,000!! The industry and Riccarton should be ashamed of themselves. The Nathans last week managed two over 80 and a top rating of 83. Most CD meetings send $30,000 and $35,000 races around with 6 or 7 runners.

The stakes allocation is just totally wrong.

At the same time you must question some trainers. In recent weeks Riccarton has struggled to get six starters in some $35,000 races.

What a strange old industry we run. I'm not sure how Rita and Winston plan to fix any of these obvious problems. These sorts of things will still be managed by NZTR; if "managed" is the right word.

It has just occurred to me that the highest rated horse in that $12,000 race at Riccarton rates higher than anything in the Auckland Cup, except the Pakenham Cup winner. In fact, win on thursday and that top rater will rate higher than the NZ Cup and Wgtn Cup winners.  Could we have the slightly unusual situation where a $12,000 race is promoted to group status the following year. I can't imagine that has happened before.  Stranger things have happened I suppose.

That just illustrates the anomalies that keep coming up with the flawed application of the ratings system;  it can work well overseas but our interpretation is wrong.

Don't be too critical of trainers,  WD , many feel that their horses are unsuited - for whatever reason - to the prevailing conditions/class/distance on offer...it's not just a matter of going ' yippee, a meeting right here,  let's line up the lot' ...

2 hours ago, Pam Robson said:

That just illustrates the anomalies that keep coming up with the flawed application of the ratings system;  it can work well overseas but our interpretation is wrong.

Don't be too critical of trainers,  WD , many feel that their horses are unsuited - for whatever reason - to the prevailing conditions/class/distance on offer...it's not just a matter of going ' yippee, a meeting right here,  let's line up the lot' ...

I do agree Pam. Often it is the right race, in the right place, at the right time that gets the good field. It often has nothing to do with the stake on offer. And for this reason a lot of stake money is wasted and at other times it is quite inadequate. There does need to be a better balance. But it is not something anyone seems to be doing anything about  and I have never seen it mentioned in any of this rita stuff or in any of NZTR's submissions.