RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Ohokaman

Queensland Racing on the way back....

QUEENSLAND RACING ON A ROLL

Any doubts that Queensland racing was heading in the right direction were dispelled with Monday’s announcement of the first half yearly results for the 2019-2020 financial year.

Highlights from the year-to-date announcements included:

• Revenue growth of +25.6% to $139.4m
  • Returns to participants +20.8% to $104.1m
  • Attendance and participation +2.1% to 332,496

During the first half year turnover reached a record $2.3 billion which represented an increase of $64.8m.

Corporate bookmaker turnover increased 3.5% or $69.7m however turnover declines were realised by QTAB (-12.7% or $101m).

However, while there was plenty of blue sky for Racing Queensland there’s still a dark cloud lingering overhead.

The report stated that Racing Queensland remains insulated until the end of the calendar year through the provision of guaranteed QTAB payments, however, the much publicised Tabcorp merger revenue benefits remains an ongoing concern.

Returns to Queensland racing participants included an additional $15.4 million in prizemoney (+22.8%), $1.3 million for jockeys and drivers’ fees (+16%) and $1.4 million for critical racing infrastructure and club funding (+15%).

The Magic Millions raceday set a new Queensland turnover record of $58 million which eclipsed last year’s mark of $57m, whilst turnover for The Wave meeting run a week earlier was $27m, which was more than 30% up on last year’s corresponding meeting.

And this won’t hurt either.....

https://www.racenet.com.au/news/free-to-air-tv-interested-in-queensland-20200216

Good on them, certainly seem to be on the up after not looking so good a few years ago. I saw a clip a few days ago where one of the trainers was crediting the new administrators with coming in and making big improvements and getting things back on track. We could do with a bit of that here. 

The new head of Racing Qld is very good. I know him pretty well and he has a good grasp of Racing. I’m not referring to the Chairman, Steve Wilson but he’s good also. I’m referring to the CEO, Brendan Parnell, formally with Sky Racing. Regularly at the races and willing to sit down and chat. It’s a long way to go but they are on the right track and it really all started with a Strike! 

8 hours ago, Trump said:

The new head of Racing Qld is very good. I know him pretty well and he has a good grasp of Racing. I’m not referring to the Chairman, Steve Wilson but he’s good also. I’m referring to the CEO, Brendan Parnell, formally with Sky Racing. Regularly at the races and willing to sit down and chat. It’s a long way to go but they are on the right track and it really all started with a Strike! 

Strikes only work when people in general give a rats , I doubt racing here would get much sympathy from Joe Blow at moment while Joe Blow step over the homeless and wait for hospital treatment . Most I know don't follow it and wouldn't give it a second thought if it went . Fine go on strike , easier for the big noters to take a hit,  not so good for poor buggers at bottom. Very bad move here imho , choving down champers , Karaka Million excesses all good but then strike no way .

Don't get me wrong I want racing on up but in card terms the hand they hold is a fold in most cases .

56 minutes ago, Red Rum said:

Strikes only work when people in general give a rats , I doubt racing here would get much sympathy from Joe Blow at moment while Joe Blow step over the homeless and wait for hospital treatment . Most I know don't follow it and wouldn't give it a second thought if it went . Fine go on strike , easier for the big noters to take a hit,  not so good for poor buggers at bottom. Very bad move here imho , choving down champers , Karaka Million excesses all good but then strike no way .

Don't get me wrong I want racing on up but in card terms the hand they hold is a fold in most cases .

The Strike was lead by the Trainers and backed by some very influential people .  Aquis Farm, a big operation said that they would not start any of their horses in Qld, taking them across the border to NSW to race - for better Stakes. Subsequent meetings saw the Govt see the light and changes were made which saw an increase in Stakes. It was desperate measures for desperate times. That’s why Q Racing is starting to move. The Gold Coast will be the next big thing. The facilities there are fantastic and with the track upgrades and installation of lights, it will turn into a “Happy Valley” when Night Racing starts. If NZ is to get itself out of the swamp, it’s going to need a big injection of cash flow and less “Pub Crawl” information nights. All talk and no action is not a good recipe for progress. And by the way, the hospital waiting lists under the Labour govt here is just as bad. There’s a woman who had a disfiguring double mastectomy and has been “8 friggin years” on the waiting list for a reconstruction! 8 years !! Ambulances regularly queue up for a spot to get patients! The only thing that has improved Remarkably in is the Public Service Payroll  under the Labour Govt. “25,000” extra public servants, all of whom have to join the union and boost the coffers of Labour mates. So in essence, a struggling NZ Racing Industry is purely due to the people running it and has SFA to do with Joe Blow! 

1 hour ago, Trump said:

The Strike was lead by the Trainers and backed by some very influential people .  Aquis Farm, a big operation said that they would not start any of their horses in Qld, taking them across the border to NSW to race - for better Stakes. Subsequent meetings saw the Govt see the light and changes were made which saw an increase in Stakes. It was desperate measures for desperate times. That’s why Q Racing is starting to move. The Gold Coast will be the next big thing. The facilities there are fantastic and with the track upgrades and installation of lights, it will turn into a “Happy Valley” when Night Racing starts. If NZ is to get itself out of the swamp, it’s going to need a big injection of cash flow and less “Pub Crawl” information nights. All talk and no action is not a good recipe for progress. And by the way, the hospital waiting lists under the Labour govt here is just as bad. There’s a woman who had a disfiguring double mastectomy and has been “8 friggin years” on the waiting list for a reconstruction! 8 years !! Ambulances regularly queue up for a spot to get patients! The only thing that has improved Remarkably in is the Public Service Payroll  under the Labour Govt. “25,000” extra public servants, all of whom have to join the union and boost the coffers of Labour mates. So in essence, a struggling NZ Racing Industry is purely due to the people running it and has SFA to do with Joe Blow! 

That was an important point Trumpy, they had somewhere else to go so it gave them leverage. Not the case here.....:(

1 hour ago, Ohokaman said:

That was an important point Trumpy, they had somewhere else to go so it gave them leverage. Not the case here.....:(

AQUIS was the only big operation to ban their horses from nominating for Qld races. The Tony Gollan, Rob Heathcote stable’s just stopped racing and went into the Media to push their case for action. One thing Politicians don’t like is negative media. One thing the average person doesn’t like is a disinterested do nothing govt. combine the two And action came fairly swiftly. The POC tax was a big issue and it’s proposed intro was going to take double (or more) what NSW and Vic we’re taking - but even worse, zero was going to be returned to its source, the Racing Industry. It was concerted action by Industry participants that got results turning their way. Now, how does that compare with the NZ Trainers Assoc stand? 

If the industry here all worked together they could no doubt force some big change. It's almost like there's a complete lack of desperation in NZ. Qld knew things were bad and got moving. You look at the successful administrators over there and hear them talk, they have a clear idea about their plans and actively advocate and put pressure on government to deliver for racing. 

Reading between the lines seems UBET i.e. Tabcorp is the poor performer. Interesting that UBET implemented an Openbet platform same as NZ.

Tabcorp have guaranteed payments this year but it would seem their contribution is going to be reduced.

That brings in the question of exclusive betting arrangements. In NZ clubs must have the opportunity of producing betting products direct to the punter that means exclusion of any middle man such as the TAB. Afterall nowadays a wagering provider is just a piece of software.

If racing people going to strike it needs to think , what pressure can I put onto what target with what cost to the target  and what cost to racing people striking , taking into account collateral damage to friendly forces so to speak ie clubs, battling owners to   achieve an aim that is considered reasonable. 

No real big owners here that would really pull weight if they withdrew horses entered up for prolonged period .Any owners here would feel pinch real quick with no alternative racing  so it would have to be collective action . Syndicates would have to be mindful if playing strike games with other people's horses, that would be a turn off next syndication cycle .

So what's the plan , target a club , enter large numbers then scratch the whole lot and force late canning of meeting . So who wins there . Avondale went west today honestly who really cared just punt on the better OZ racing and Sports bet , punters won't miss the 7 races Riccarton Friday either ,  why not target Karaka Million meeting for strike action  that might make news . Scratch every horse late on  that will show them , max up the disruption that way , bit of mutually assured destruction .