RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
puha

Mudgway pulls sponsorship

Come gather 'round people

Wherever you roam

And admit that the waters

Around you have grown

And accept it that soon

You'll be drenched to the bone.

If your time to you

Is worth savin'

Then you better start swimmin'

Or you'll sink like a stone

For the times they are a-changin'.

Bob Dylan! :)

Because they take responsibility for nothing and are doing it rather well.

How tough things are we would not know because NZRB is incapable of producing a timely set of accounts and the good news in 4 years time NZRB tells us we will have the best racing in the world.

"Wot me worry "Alfred E Neuman

Who's fault is it? the NZRB? Wayne Mudgways? the economy? the government? NZTR?

It's life, things are tight, and it's a sign of things to come so best we all get used to it.

Sheriff, until a few weeks back I was under the illusion that the sponsor actually put up most of the stake money of a race he or she nominally sponsored.

But, from information gleaned on this wonderful site of yours, I see that far from that being the case you can actually sponsor a race and only put up 10% of the total purse.

Dunno if that is the case with races like the Mudgway but, if it is, surely losing 10% of the stake is no great disaster?

I doubt any of the options for 'blame' you cite are individually solely at 'fault' - at the end of the day, sponsorship is a judgement call and Mr Mudgway, for what reason, has simply chosen not to be a sponsor.

Why not ask the sponsor and other sponsors who are pulling out of racing. If there is a common problem or problems then the powers to be, need to address these.

An exit strategy poll, in other words...

There is precious little evidence, MB, that NZ Racing actually cares about what those outside their air conditioned buildings think...

And even if they did care, there is even less evidence to suggest that those folk could come up with any solutions given that they are unprepared to make any meaningful changes to their bloated existences...

Finding and keeping Sponsors is a tough job and is the responsibility of the Club - not NZTR or NZRB, so leave them out of the equation. It's the economy.

When Fosters pulled out of the Melbourne Cup sponsorship, did you lampoon the VRC?

Sponsorships come and go.

If I was Wayne Mudgway, I would have looked at the Kelt losing it's tag, which I coat-tailed and would have asked myself, "Is my money getting the same bang and is it worth spending during the current economic downturn?". Maybe he is better of spending on his database? Who knows, but please let's not get the NZRB bonfires out over this one guys.

Who knows, but please let's not get the NZRB bonfires out over this one guys.

Well, exactly, TA.

As I said a post or two back it's unlikely that just one thing caused Mr Mudgway to walk away...

But unless you actually do the exit strategy polling Maurice suggests you (assuming you are the NZRB, heh heh) won't know for sure...

but I would hazard a guess and say it is just a case of a reduction in total marketing spend by the sponsor and therefore, a revision of where the reduced amount is best allocated.

The Sheriff probably summed it up pretty well.

I agree with both of the last two statements - and wouldn't this be a good time to ponder a rationalisation of the Group Racing programme in our Spring? Why does Hawkes Bay, of all places, get three Group Ones, eg?

But I like to work in environments where there is more certainty than just 'guessing', heh...

If I were the NZRB I'd want to know my failings (in the eyes of my public) - my point is that the current clowns don't...

Ignore history, and history simply repeats itself!

Finding and keeping Sponsors is a tough job and is the responsibility of the Club - not NZTR or NZRB, so leave them out of the equation. It's the economy.

When Fosters pulled out of the Melbourne Cup sponsorship, did you lampoon the VRC?

Sponsorships come and go.

If I was Wayne Mudgway, I would have looked at the Kelt losing it's tag, which I coat-tailed and would have asked myself, "Is my money getting the same bang and is it worth spending during the current economic downturn?". Maybe he is better of spending on his database? Who knows, but please let's not get the NZRB bonfires out over this one guys.

I agree and disagree Apprentice. It seems to me that a nationally co-ordinated sponsorship strategy either by NZTR oat code level or perhaps a tri-code strategy might be a sensible idea, no? That would not preclude individual clubs working their local communities for smaller sponsorships.

If you turn to page 71 of the NZRB Strategic Plan under the heading INITIATIVE #5 - Increase club non-wagering revenue, you'll see that Tactivc #5 says "Investigate national contracts for supply and sponsorship".

I wonder how they are progressing with that.

Are you really thast stupid or are you (as usual) just trying to set up another scenario where you can abuse and criticise the various governing bodies?

I am probably that stupid Sheriff because I don't understand the gist of your comment. What was stupid about my post? The idea that the NZRB could advance the possibility of national sponsorships? Didn't you support or even suggest that idea here before?

I agree with both of the last two statements - and wouldn't this be a good time to ponder a rationalisation of the Group Racing programme in our Spring? Why does Hawkes Bay, of all places, get three Group Ones, eg?

But I like to work in environments where there is more certainty than just 'guessing', heh...

If I were the NZRB I'd want to know my failings (in the eyes of my public) - my point is that the current clowns don't...

Ignore history, and history simply repeats itself!

Murray - if there is anything negative about the Hawkes Bay Racing Club it would be the dated facilities and the dreadful sound system. Outside of that the concept of the Triple Crown is the most exciting racing carnival in the country. Plus there is nothing wrong with the Hawkes Bay in the Spring (blows away the winter blues), with the exception of the year it snowed and people heading North got stuck on the Napier/Taupo Road but that all adds to the adventure.

The best of the countries thoroughbreds front up there and many of the winners of the Kelt have gone on to bigger and better things.

I hope the club finds new sponsors but it is a shame that Mr Mudgway and Mr Kelt have pulled the plug.

And imagine how objective leggy and her/his offsiders would be if the largest sponsorship package were to be awarded to ....saaaayyyy....Ellerslie.

I am sure the NZRB appreciate the invite of a dip in the cesspool, but I imagine they would decline the offer.

Are you really that stupid or are you (as usual) just trying to set up another scenario where you can abuse and criticise the various governing bodies?

Erm, sheriff, if one of the 'various governing bodies' is daft enough to have such vague clauses as 'Increase club non-wagering revenue' or 'Investigate national contracts for supply and sponsorship' in their Strategic Plan, why bite Leggy's head off if he, perfectly justifiably, asks how they are faring with such?

We don't have a Strategic Plan here - we are far too busy actually achieving things...

But at our next meeting I will propose that we think about having one (a Strategic Plan).

I will begin the ball rolling by putting a few ideas into the mix:

* Achieve world peace

* Balance global economy

* Get Sir Alex Fergusson to retire

* Effect meaningful change with the NZRB

The first three, knowing my staff, will probably only take three or four months...

The last one, though, hmmm...

the perception of the industry is dreadful

So you work to change that perception, sheriff...

Sheesh, you've got a wonderful product: live animals, the open air, lots of colour, the thrill of a bet...

Lotto, your main opposition, has seized the 'We're the good bet' ground.

Get the NZRB marketing dolts to dream up a campaign that sees your product advertised (on mainstream television, not on Trackside), find a glamour person (a jockey, maybe?) to be the

frontman or frontwoman for that campaign and get him or her as well known as, say, Jude Dobson and her plugs for Chemists. Or that Tower nutter who doesn't simply ditch his bloody wife and stay single, heh heh..

Hell, I'd be getting someone like James MacDonald to be on once a week with a quick, Ira Goldstein-like, breezy 'Come to Ellerslie this weekend. I'm on four faves and all should win' spiel. Followed next week by a quick look at how he fared...

Personalise the industry!

Marry that with a special bet at the TAB with that frontperson - How many wins will James have this week?', e.g.

get your bloody assets working for you, get that land leased out, build some non-racing facilities that give you a return, sell your acres and relocate to a communal facility, invest your money into something that actually gives you and the code a decent return.

'Time' Magazine has a good article this week, the gist of which is 'Today's Smart Choice: Don't Own. Share.'

Well worth a read...

'...it's the young who are leading the way toward a different form of consumption, a collaborative consumption: renting, lending and even sharing goods instead of buying them. You can see it in the rise of big businesses like Netflix, whose more than 20 million subscribers pay a fee to essentially share DVDs, or Zipcar, which gives more than 500,000 members the chance to share cars part-time.'

bit of a yawn Murray but let me put spin on it.

1) increase non-wagering revenue = get your bloody assets working for you, get that land leased out, build some non-racing facilities that give you a return, sell your acres and relocate to a communal facility, invest your money into something that actually gives you and the code a decent return.

Good examples of, Ellerslie, bad examples of, Avondale.

2) national contracts for supply and sponsorship = well if NZ Water can sponsor summer racing, and the Inter Islander can do the same this year then surely that has been done or were you looking for a credible multinational like Emirates to sponsor an industry that is still infected with pokie fraudsters and internutters??

We have thrashed this out before to no avail. This is actually the best that can be done for the Industry along with centalisation. But I seem to be on this bandwagon that is going nowhere, mores the pity.

I think one of the problems with racing is the people in the top positions are non racing people and try to bring things from other businesses that do not work in racing to it..., how many very successful businessmen over the years have tried to buy horses in on their own thinking they are successful at their other business this will be a breeze.. only to do their shirt... ??? It is a quirky business and needs to be run by people who understand these quirks..just my humble opinion.

Of course I do, for generic racing events like 'summer racing', which of course they always have with the 'interislander' etc..but to somehow suggest that a) they can work for individual clubs, and B) that different codes which are competing for the exact same sponsorship dollar will suddenly join forces to cannibalise their own potential client base is just silly.

It is not the responsibility of the NZRB to work for any one code, and nor does it have a mandate to work for and on behalf of racing clubs.

What it does have to legally do is 'distribute the surpluses' to the codes, and then the codes are literally on their own.

Sheriff you are being somewhat mischievous again. I wasn't suggesting it was the NZRB's role to intervene in an individual club's sponsorship of a single race. I was responding to the apprentice's comment that "finding and keeping Sponsors is a tough job and is the responsibility of the Club - not NZTR or NZRB" As you point out they already do that with the likes of summer racing. As I pointed out, it is already in the strategic plan to explore this further. I see no reason why the NZRB could not be engaged in negotiating sponsorship for a series of key races, perhaps tied with a specific wagering lotto style product for example.

In particular though you are being naughty when you suggest that the NZRB's role is merely to "distribute the surpluses' to the codes, and then the codes are literally on their own", when as you and I have discussed before, the NZRB has another and broader objective beyond running the TAB and distributing the surplus.

I think one of the problems with racing is the people in the top positions are non racing people and try to bring things from other businesses that do not work in racing to it..., how many very successful businessmen over the years have tried to buy horses in on their own thinking they are successful at their other business this will be a breeze.. only to do their shirt... ??? It is a quirky business and needs to be run by people who understand these quirks..just my humble opinion.

It is going to be very interesting watching who gets appointed to the new NZ Thoroughbred Racing Board.

Will it be more so called top business men without a racing /gambling empathy?

That's the real challenge to those doing the choosing!

Just my thoughts.

Its like anything one may be new at, you're fine inside your comfort zone where you may be expert at what you do but once you step into new terrain you became a novice again

Its like anything one may be new at, you're fine inside your comfort zone where you may be expert at what you do but once you step into new terrain you became a novice again

But what we think wont matter and they will continue on their merry way.. just because they have a few letters after their name they are seen as the supposed gurus, but this is a special industry and needs a special hands on knowledge to run it..I believe.

Exactly.

Now where is the most recent update information about this very issue & a major concern in the Racing Industry?

Why not ask the sponsor and other sponsors who are pulling out of racing. If there is a common problem or problems then the powers to be, need to address these.