RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Berri

Racing Bill Submissions

1 hour ago, barryb said:

the reality is a large portion of the population DON'T see lotto as gambling, they see it more like a donation & are happy to gift away there money twice a week on minute odds of even the smallest of collects. This is done with the knowledge that Lotto sponsors  community projects from the losses of the many.

I agree. That thinking has a long historical and cultural background I think. Growing up, my  grand-parents thought it was their duty to religiously buy a Golden Kiwi ticket each week. The belief was that if people didn't support the lottery, then taxes would have to be raised to support the community needs it funded. That belief still persists as you suggest. Not sure that there's much for racing to learn from that though.

When people by a Lotto Ticket there’s only one thing on their minds - 1st Division and a chance to be a millionaire! The rich don’t take Lotto. The “last” thing on Lotto Ticket buyers minds is “community”. It’s more like New house, pay off mortgage, new car, boat, overseas trip, racehorse ownership etc. All this community minded rubbish is a hoax - fake news! 

1 hour ago, Trump said:

When people by a Lotto Ticket there’s only one thing on their minds - 1st Division and a chance to be a millionaire! The rich don’t take Lotto. The “last” thing on Lotto Ticket buyers minds is “community”. It’s more like New house, pay off mortgage, new car, boat, overseas trip, racehorse ownership etc. All this community minded rubbish is a hoax - fake news! 

Coming from someone who obviously doesn’t buy tickets.....:rolleyes:

I’m sure it is a bit of both...doing the community thing while dreaming of the big payoff to make life a little easier for family...nothing wrong with that.

3 hours ago, poundforpound said:

Good point 

I suppose that comes down to how you package the product you’re selling 

Lotto is sanitised so that it appears to be about helping the under privileged and charities ... the RIU / Police have orchestrated events to suggest racing is corrupt and full of crooks .. not helped by our toxic association with Winston and NZF 

Racing is not full of crooks as we all know  , everywhere racing is though there is some form of ducking and diving so to speak. Most gamblers of long standing I know accept that and like to think we can spot the dodgy bastards and get onto the touch with them if we can spot a pattern  . There's jockeys in every country who punters call or think are dodgy , they may or may not be but it's a part of racings character imho .  Keiron Fallon springs to mind , a bit iffy , dare say could handle himself in a bar brawl too for a little guy but was seriously good jockey .Sadly everything needs to be sanatised nowdays .

3 hours ago, Tauhei Notts said:

I have been involved in applications to the Lotto people for community minded projects.  It has been my experience that if the application does not specifically involve the Maori people or the McLiquor tribe any application, the detail of which is mind boggling, is a waste of time.

Many communities and sports bodies would disagree...

2 hours ago, Ohokaman said:

Coming from someone who obviously doesn’t buy tickets.....:rolleyes:

I’m sure it is a bit of both...doing the community thing while dreaming of the big payoff to make life a little easier for family...nothing wrong with that.

Every time it’s a Jackpot Ohokason! 

5 hours ago, shaneMcAlister said:

I still think there is a place for an oncourse jackpot and a crowd could be drawn.

They were before my time.

That is why I can't understand the terminating pick 6s. I generally don't bother with the pick 6 but when the pool would get big I couldn't help but have a nudge, gallops or trots. It would be the same theory I guess with a big on course jackpot, you just wouldn't want to miss it. 

5 hours ago, boatey said:

Those on course jackpots were brilliant even if you had to walk a mile from where you had to park the car.

They still could be brilliant. Any impediments legal wise have to be removed. Example using a jackpot pool as a marketing tool by offering sponsors products as prize on top of the winnings.  A few years ago the CD clubs ran such pools annually for a car. Don't know if offering a prize such as a Harley Davidson to a trainer would achieve the same publicity as a Harley for the punters.

Look , let's get it through our thick skulls, there will be NO Legislation going through this year.

It is Election year, the bills that go through now before the Election are way more important than Racing's woes.

Have a read of some of the readings that are destined to go through before the Election and they certainly put Racing on the Back burner.

Sorry to rain on your parade but it is Election Year and it's every man and dog for himself, (politicians)

Great , our great white hope is W Peters, the most under fire maligned Minister in Parliament.

NOTHING will happen , there is not enough time.

We should be heading in with one or two or even 3 tweaks but alas, the whole lot needs rewriting , it is so far off the mark it is embarrassing, and especially at this stage.

This happened exactly 3 years ago and is happening again right now.

Mark my words ....

7 hours ago, Charlie Bukowski said:

Look , let's get it through our thick skulls, there will be NO Legislation going through this year.

It is Election year, the bills that go through now before the Election are way more important than Racing's woes.

Have a read of some of the readings that are destined to go through before the Election and they certainly put Racing on the Back burner.

Sorry to rain on your parade but it is Election Year and it's every man and dog for himself, (politicians)

Great , our great white hope is W Peters, the most under fire maligned Minister in Parliament.

NOTHING will happen , there is not enough time.

We should be heading in with one or two or even 3 tweaks but alas, the whole lot needs rewriting , it is so far off the mark it is embarrassing, and especially at this stage.

This happened exactly 3 years ago and is happening again right now.

Mark my words ....

Bang on the money , there will be no doubling of stakes , no two more actual All Weather tracks for raceday to go with the training gallop put in Cambridge . Racing will quickly go to back of queue very soon once election starts to kick in. Election plus two referendums , they are the Group 1s this year , racing is  a rating 65 midweek race on heavy 11 in mid winter in political terms this year  . Of course racing could well hit the news once the donation situation is played out .

Racing will go on to  a holding pattern for a few years .

Strange thing is imho racing here this season has been very good , some absolute top quality horses going round , loads of close finishes , some decent crowds ( some very small crowds ) so alls not lost at this stage .

Bussutin/Young a very good advertisement for moving to Oz. Paul Shailer doing great running Gold Coast Stable for Waller. Bjorn Baker, Sargent, etc. There’s not much to look forward to in NZ and Stakes will never go up unless there’s more money. Where’s it going to come from? Too many “self interest” groups and a lot of talk fests, papers, discussion docs etc. NZ Racing is  another MV Hydrabad sailing towards the beach!

1 hour ago, Trump said:

Bussutin/Young a very good advertisement for moving to Oz. Paul Shailer doing great running Gold Coast Stable for Waller. Bjorn Baker, Sargent, etc. There’s not much to look forward to in NZ and Stakes will never go up unless there’s more money. Where’s it going to come from? Too many “self interest” groups and a lot of talk fests, papers, discussion docs etc. NZ Racing is  another MV Hydrabad sailing towards the beach!

Can’t you give it a rest talk about a flipping broken record!

22 hours ago, shaneMcAlister said:

I still think there is a place for an oncourse jackpot and a crowd could be drawn.

Surprising really they have not been continued. Seems a perfect opportunity to get people on course as the old ones did...you only have to look at the queues for Lotto when the numbers get up there. Remember going to one at Avondale years ago..a few faves won and payout was only $3k or so but very welcome back then when mortgages were over 20%.......:rolleyes:

Sue Bradford says withdraw Racing Bill .

Select Committee hearings , A section of the bill has proposed the Minister of Racing to be able to use money from the sale of small local racing clubs towards funding improvements in other venues. 

If passed, the Bill will in effect allow the closure and forced sale of the venues of a number of racing clubs, potentially including those at Avondale, Stratford, Central Otago, Kurow, Banks Peninsula and Wairoa.

Even if a club has stopped racing, or has already sold its venue, the legislation allows for its property to be compulsorily taken.

The purpose of this is to prop up other ‘strategic’ venues that have the blessing of the powers that be, for example racecourses at Auckland, Wellington, Manawatu and Canterbury. 

I am no right-winger, but I find myself unusually in the space occupied by the right – that is, I cannot fathom how property rights can be trampled on in this way, nor how Labour and the Greens can tolerate it.

It is a possibility that Winston Peters sought carte blanche on racing policy as part of the 2017 coalition deal with Labour, yet this week Jacinda Ardern has been quoted as saying, ‘Racing policy, decisions, bills … go through considerable scrutiny – no one policy is ever decided by one party, they go through all of us.’ . Great to see Sue champion property rights. And Labour did indeed sign up to support NZ First’s racing policy as part of the coalition agreement.  

As a Green MP I was the party’s spokesperson on Racing for the ten years I was in Parliament. I sat on the Select Committee considering the 2003 Racing Bill.

During the process I managed to persuade colleagues to insert a clause in the Racing Act saying ‘In carrying out its functions, the Board must (a) comply with the principles of natural justice; and (b) exhibit a sense of social responsibility by having regard to the interests of the community in which it operates.’ 

The new legislation flies in the face the 2003 Act in regards to both natural justice and social responsibility.

Labour and the Greens must urgently reconsider their seemingly unconsidered support for the Racing Bill or risk being seen as complicit in a particularly unprincipled piece of legislation.

THERE you go this might all fall apart yet and racing will just carry on declining .