RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Ludwig

Southland Saturday

Somewhat ironic that the club put an extra $20,000 into the guineas to try and get more north island representation and they have ended up with none at all. The Gore and Dunedin guineas got northerners for $20,000 lower stakes.  It does show that it is the listed status that attracts the northerners and not the stake. It is a very tricky decision how to allocate extra stakes money, both on an individual club basis and on an industry basis.

1 hour ago, arjay said:

wet last week, forecast not good, could be swimming races?

Many years ago, when I was younger and sillier, I did a cross country race at Ascot Park in those conditions. Not fun.

23 hours ago, We're Doomed said:

Somewhat ironic that the club put an extra $20,000 into the guineas to try and get more north island representation and they have ended up with none at all. The Gore and Dunedin guineas got northerners for $20,000 lower stakes.  It does show that it is the listed status that attracts the northerners and not the stake

don't understand your logic - the Southland Guineas is a Listed race as well...

Just now, drewandjo said:

don't understand your logic - the Southland Guineas is a Listed race as well...

My logic is that the extra $20,000 poured into the stake attracted not one extra horse, and in fact they got much poorer northern, and canterbury, representation than either of the other two southern guineas races. What bit of that don't you understand?

I must say, the fields for the tacked on extra Southland meeting on Monday are quiet amazing. Can anyone image a couple of $11,000 rating 82s in the north attracting 10 and 8 horses? It just goes to show that there are horses out there and we aren't using then properly. A lot of the meetings, and money, are in the wrong place at the wrong time.

8 minutes ago, We're Doomed said:

I must say, the fields for the tacked on extra Southland meeting on Monday are quiet amazing. Can anyone image a couple of $11,000 rating 82s in the north attracting 10 and 8 horses? It just goes to show that there are horses out there and we aren't using then properly. A lot of the meetings, and money, are in the wrong place at the wrong time.

The grassroots support for racing, both codes, in the south remains strong. It's good to see that not everything is doom and gloom.

4 minutes ago, Ludwig said:

The grassroots support for racing, both codes, in the south remains strong. It's good to see that not everything is doom and gloom.

It isn't really something that is taken into account by any of the bright boy theories about how to save the industry.

Since racing now largely relies on off course and oversea betting, why not run it where it is most cost effective; which is largely the South.

Could we be about to see a resurgence of racing in the South, despite the CJC?

5 minutes ago, We're Doomed said:

It isn't really something that is taken into account by any of the bright boy theories about how to save the industry.

Since racing now largely relies on off course and oversea betting, why not run it where it is most cost effective; which is largely the South.

Could we be about to see a resurgence of racing in the South, despite the CJC?

I agree entirely  and there are some under utilised tracks in the south. We should be looking at capitalising on the grassroots interest in racing, and not resort to this idiotic policy of close down every track they can get their paws on.

1 minute ago, Ludwig said:

I agree entirely  and there are some under utilised tracks in the south. We should be looking at capitalising on the grassroots interest in racing, and not resort to this idiotic policy of close down every track they can get their paws on.

What a waste Riverton is. And what sort of halfwit would close Timaru?

12 hours ago, We're Doomed said:

what sort of halfwit would close Timaru?

Need to address the dual code status of the likes of Timaru.

Large harness use and considerable thoroughbred training at the venue.

SC Hunt club also race there and I see in the submissions by NZTR they exclude Hunt clubs from there assett snatch.

Confused.....

9 minutes ago, JJ Flash said:

Issues with an official down that way from memory.

Greg

Don't appear to race them at Omoto either , with close downs , racing a total and utter basket case and stakes piss all business must be very confident blanking meetings . Might end up just racing at Reefton and Riccarton .

We’re Doomed Michael Pitman severed his ties with Greymouth several seasons ago when the club allocated boxes and yards to Rogey and Kevin Myers rather than his stable. Ironically I have a share in a horse that won two Maiden races at Greymouth last month. If Michael had a team there she would probably still be a maiden!

14 minutes ago, gubellini said:

We’re Doomed Michael Pitman severed his ties with Greymouth several seasons ago when the club allocated boxes and yards to Rogey and Kevin Myers rather than his stable. Ironically I have a share in a horse that won two Maiden races at Greymouth last month. If Michael had a team there she would probably still be a maiden!

So what your saying is potentially the stable left money on the table . The stable have that many winners on the circuits 3 x meetings at Omoto missed , potentially some owners missed some money .I sure the owners are rich enough to not worry so good on them for sticking to guns .Iam sure the Clotworthy stable will like the current situation to carry on and spread to other tracks in SI .

14 hours ago, We're Doomed said:

Hello all, my first post here,strange as i signed up here almost a year to the day,anyway i often look through the fields and are surprised that there is still a good solid base of trainers, horses for southern racing despite it gong through a low, i think the people involved are in it for the horses not the money but you do have to make some.....in the north heaps of 5 and 6 horse  fields, probably too many meetings,what i would be most worried for southern racing is the desire to reduce the number of meetings to i think i heard 13 or something similar, that will probably make most trainers wonder if its worth it or reduce it to the point where it would be a hobby, you do need regular racing, that is where the harness guys are ok, all weather tracks longer season, the weather is another factor but even now the best of southern racing is still good  but reducing the number of meetings to just a few will kill it off as we know it now.

1 hour ago, drewandjo said:

this is the bit I don't understand

All three Southern guineas races have listed status. Gore and Wingatui were worth $50,000, Invercargill is worth $70,000. Gore and Wingatui got a better spread of representation than Invercargill, including North Islanders, who from memory were favourites in each race. Therefore the extra $20,000 has made no difference at all to the field quality. So, within reason the actual stake means very little to most participants. From a breeding point of view it is the listed status that attracts them, not the money. Invercargill would have got the same field for $20,000 less, just because of its listed status.

I can't think of any other way to explain it more clearly.

We generally have no trouble winning races at Otago, Timaru, Kurow, Waikouaiti, Omakau, Reefton, Trentham or Gore so our horses race at those venues INSTEAD of Greymouth.

Given the length of travel, how often race meetings are canned and the stakes involved not going to Invergiggle has never been an issue for us. Recent racing along with racing at Riccarton 13th and 21st Feb, Otago 29th Feb. Ricc 5th March, Ashburton 12th  then Wellington 14th March will keep us busy enough without going to Southland, that's for sure!

We support racing on Southland's best surfaced track Riverton which is professionally run by a very good committee. Tha'ts why the Riverton Cup is a Listed Race and the Invergiggle Cup is not.

I do congratulate SRC for putting up the money for the Guineas and Cup and wish those going there that they do in fact get to race and compete well.

Southland often get the crappy end weather wise,mondays meet which was changed because of the flood may strangely be affected again, we will have to wait and see............and yes Riverton, thats the track thats in line for closure, greatly underused,just the longer straight makes a better spectacle,gives more a chance.