CT"s

C. S. Hayes Stakes........

117 posts in this topic

Just now, Ohokaman said:

Mmmm...Catalyst ran his last 600 in 32.19 when he won the Group 1. Super Seth only had to go 35.22 to beat AB. Still keen Trumpy....? :P

Harlech ran only fractionally slower in that race after getting hampered Hokesy then went out and got outsprinted by Travelling light. Track was more conducive that day and i remember seeing a sub 32 at Riccarton around that time. Time and place

Looked to me like Vandyke was just  a little unsure if Aliblood had peaked on Racing.Com interview ?  See what Damian Lane says tomorrow after Catalysts work Trump ,but writing is on the wall by the look :rcf-thinking:

53 minutes ago, Trump said:

Forget the times in NZ Ohokason. The Telegraph winners always run extraordinary times but can’t blow smoke up anyones arse anywhere else in the world. Times mean nothing in the heat of battle. If Catalyst was the “Superstar “ a lot of you are espousing, then why couldn’t he run down Alligator Blood after The Gator did it from end to end last start?

Lots of reasons...track, weight, first up, better from behind..etc etc.....we’ll see on Saturday....;)

As expected only an 8 horse field for the Guineas. 

Catalyst draws perfectly at 4 with AB again drawn inside him at 2. 

Looks like it could be a repeat of the C.S. Hayes with AB leading and Catalyst taking a sit (hopefully one out one back).

Back to level weights 3rd up with an extra 2 weeks to acclimatise here he will be primed! B)

Here’s the field:

AB (2)

Dalasan (3)

Alabama Express (6)

Catalyst (4)

Soul Patch (1)

Super Storm (7)

Chenier (5)

Commodus (8)

On 2/25/2020 at 10:22 PM, Trump said:

Forget the times in NZ Ohokason. The Telegraph winners always run extraordinary times but can’t blow smoke up anyones arse anywhere else in the world. Times mean nothing in the heat of battle. If Catalyst was the “Superstar “ a lot of you are espousing, then why couldn’t he run down Alligator Blood after The Gator did it from end to end last start?

1) only  just arrived in Oz

2_ covered more ground

3 gave weight to the winner

4 not best distance

5 not at peak fitness

counting down to the moment of truth Flemington 1600m, third-up. Whatever he draws ...no excuses

MM

On 2/11/2020 at 6:19 AM, poundforpound said:

Oh dear ... surely you meant “a hair in Jennifer Eccles tail” ...haven’t we dealt with you propensity to exaggerate before, particularly around the activities of family members ? ( nice filly though, and a great name )

As for Catalyst, he’ll destroy your best, on the bridle, and that’s why Super Seth is very sensibly looking elsewhere for opportunities 

Now off you go and do something useful, like catch corona virus 

This catalyst post continues to age well... ;)

16 hours ago, pakari said:

This catalyst post continues to age well... ;)

Indeed it is 

I don’t often criticise jockeys but I have to say Catalyst didn’t get much of a ride

No pace in the race but they rode him back ... bit odd whomever devised those tactics, then realising he was in the shit off a slow tempo Lane attacked across the top, 5 wide and sprinting in the anaerobic zone 600 from home ... against a great sprinter who’d gone the short way round 

He’d have to break 32 to win that from there and there’s not a horse in the world who can do that 

As for his action, of course he changed legs, his muscles were burning with acid build up

Be interesting to see the tactics next start. 
Ride him back and hope someone softens AB up I’d have thought, but even then you’d hope the beating last Saturday didn’t fry Catalyst’s brains and cause long term damage

Thank God for Te Akau saving us from total humiliation 

1 hour ago, poundforpound said:

Indeed it is 

I don’t often criticise jockeys but I have to say Catalyst didn’t get much of a ride

No pace in the race but they rode him back ... bit odd whomever devised those tactics, then realising he was in the shit off a slow tempo Lane attacked across the top, 5 wide and sprinting in the anaerobic zone 600 from home ... against a great sprinter who’d gone the short way round 

He’d have to break 32 to win that from there and there’s not a horse in the world who can do that 

As for his action, of course he changed legs, his muscles were burning with acid build up

Be interesting to see the tactics next start. 
Ride him back and hope someone softens AB up I’d have thought, but even then you’d hope the beating last Saturday didn’t fry Catalyst’s brains and cause long term damage

Thank God for Te Akau saving us from total humiliation 

Spot on. Alligator Blood ran the last 600 in 33.59 in front after getting a breather mid race so was always going to be hard to beat.

Clayton says it was more lack of concentration than anything.....blinkers going back on.

https://www.racenet.com.au/news/blinkers-back-on-catalyst-in-all-star-mile-20200302

Should have stayed with j Mac. At least he would have learned something from the first ride. I see Lane making excuses for the ride. He should have done better from that draw.

And I dont back Kiwi horses with Oz jockeys.

8 minutes ago, Nerula said:

Should have stayed with j Mac. At least he would have learned something from the first ride. I see Lane making excuses for the ride. He should have done better from that draw.

Then you would have missed some nice collects! 

Best vets in Australia.....

Catalyst sent to vet clinic following Australian Guineas

By James Lamb 
Catalyst Catalyst Image: Getty
A start in the $5 million All-Star Mile looks in serious doubt for Kiwi galloper Catalyst, who is being assessed by vets for a back issue.

The Chipperfield galloper finished a disappointing sixth, beaten 4.3L, in the G1 Australian Guineas (1600m) at Flemington on Saturday, but was initially cleared of injury post-race.

"He's pulled up bright, we will see how he eats up," Chipperfield said following the event.

"Damian Lane said the race wasn't run to suit. He was a little lost once asked for that effort in the last 200m."

However, the son of Darci Brahma has since been transported to the Ballarat Vet Clinic due to discomfort in his 'back area'.

Catalyst has blown to $15 with TAB for the All-Star Mile, with the event less than two weeks away. 

Meanwhile, fellow Guineas runner Alabama Express is also in the hands of vets after he failed to beat a runner home on Saturday.

Like Catalyst, he was cleared of any obvious abnormalities post-race, but is now being treated for a possible virus.

Trainer Mike Moroney claims the three-year-old has not been eating, and is dehydrated, since the underwhelming performance.

Jockey Michael Dee described Alabama Express' last-placing as “too bad to be true”.

1 hour ago, Nerula said:

So you would back J Macc on a kiwi horse but not Bowman on a kiwi horse . Yet both have ridden predominantly in NSW/ VIC in past many years . Would J Macc get more out of Kiwi horse than a Bowman  or any other top 10 OZ jocks .J Macc gets more out of horse than most but so much more than Bowman than you'd disregard Bowman on same horse .

Catalyst being investigated to find out what went wrong on Saturday - not being treated for anything, yet .... but I suspect he will be after investigation as Saturday was too bad to be true..... Though AB is a cracker 

17 hours ago, TurnyTom said:

Catalyst being investigated to find out what went wrong on Saturday - not being treated for anything, yet .... but I suspect he will be after investigation as Saturday was too bad to be true..... Though AB is a cracker 

It was a rough old race Tom. Chenier nearly fell, Catalyst obviously bruised, and Soul Patch damaged tendons so now retired.

On 3/3/2020 at 1:41 PM, Red Rum said:

So you would back J Macc on a kiwi horse but not Bowman on a kiwi horse . Yet both have ridden predominantly in NSW/ VIC in past many years . Would J Macc get more out of Kiwi horse than a Bowman  or any other top 10 OZ jocks .J Macc gets more out of horse than most but so much more than Bowman than you'd disregard Bowman on same horse .

Another reason is J Mac has had a big holiday for being naughty and he would have learned from that..

RR I have had experience of poor rides in big races in oz.

51 minutes ago, Nerula said:

Another reason is J Mac has had a big holiday for being naughty and he would have learned from that..

RR I have had experience of poor rides in big races in oz.

To be fair iam a  fanboy of Dettori and Moore but they have botched a few in OZ too. Jamie Spencer a favorite of mine , rode the OZ jocks to sleep a few times but he is a master of disaster sometimes . All top ones have bad days.