RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
eljay

Auckland Noms

6 minutes ago, tim vince said:

There seems a disconnect between hrnz the atc and participants.most trainers  and drivers have never met the ceo of the atc  or hrnz seems an us versus them situation. 

Same shit ,new week ........I don't think anyone gives a damn .

A couple of years ago ,this situation was starting to dawn on people.....I actually asked at the ATC AGM why more 'lower class/rating ' races weren't held to increase the fields/size.The answer was the proposed higher stakes were intended to encourage a higher standard of racing.

Well no-one aligned this thinking with the programming and handicapping folk .

And I suspect it turned off my fellow mainlanders who are enjoying the Northern melt down.

Three of the races will be OK size this week with maiden races....two trots ,one pace ..this tells a story.

There will be PBD used favouring the females but connections of younger horses should be able to race against own sex.

Anyone trying to race 2 yr olds ...good luck......once in a while there will be a race ,for $2k with 2 or 3 others !

Leadups to the 2700m fillies Oaks races ,will be 1600m or 1700m races.

At least the South Island also has a lack of 2 yr old horses willing to race.

Which poses the question.......is there a disconnect between the upcoming Sales and the hoopla to buy a young horse and start paying to nominate for 'rich' 2 & 3 year old races ? 

Trotters dont race their own sex in the Jewels and often race for less so thats an anomaly 

Already in the current season some of our better 3 yr olds have headed off to Australia, not all permanently.

At least ATC members/regulars have the choice of basketball, rugby or cricket to go to at the moment...again this Friday.

1 hour ago, Mikie said:

Tim

Can you explain to me why a 3yo filly with form  5223 and $13000 in the bank needs a PBD over a 3yo gelding with form 59 and $92 in stake earnings?

Mikie

I'm not Tim but its one of the 'criteria' in the PBD book of tricks.

Normally its on winning stakes then on sex , but with no winners in field it reverts to sex. 

The girls get the cosier draws as per the track grid.

Its a real issue juggling horses into fields each week.....often not like v like ,so many have no show .

Unless South horses come up for the group races , many are just making up the numbers as fields have such wide band of ratings /abilities.

Two lowly wins and you racing strong "Intermediate grade pacers " or maybe even an Interdom runner !

9 hours ago, tasman man 11 said:

I'm not Tim but its one of the 'criteria' in the PBD book of tricks.

Normally its on winning stakes then on sex , but with no winners in field it reverts to sex. 

The girls get the cosier draws as per the track grid.

Its a real issue juggling horses into fields each week.....often not like v like ,so many have no show .

Unless South horses come up for the group races , many are just making up the numbers as fields have such wide band of ratings /abilities.

Two lowly wins and you racing strong "Intermediate grade pacers " or maybe even an Interdom runner !

Whilst I thank you for replying Tasman Man I think you have missed the point of my query

I’m well aware as to why there is a PBD in the maiden race; as you say it is to give the fillies a better draw

My query is why do they need it and I have given the example of 2 horses in this week

For example has anyone done any research into the percentage of winners in maiden mobile events at Alexandra Park  over the last 2 seasons?

My guess is that it is a “no” and the policy has meandered along based on figures that are years out of date or, even more likely, it’s something that’s been done so we’ll just keep on doing it

My personal view is that maidens are maidens and females shouldn’t always get a PBD. 

Mikie

Agree went to a racing committee awhile back  and it was agreed after I bought  u subject pbd . every 2nd week.better than nothing.i do agree with u but to the atc.s credit they listened to my argument and made an accomadation.derek balle chairman tries very hard.ive a lot of time for him.

Fair enough Tim

If I was in charge PBD for maidens based on sex would be every 4 weeks

Just my opinion, nothing more

I would however, also do a spreadsheet showing winners sex with PBD, and winners sex without PBD, in comparison to the % of starters so I had some facts to work with

Mikie

Face it guys, the game is shutting down. Literally shutting down - from the north first!

Give it another 2 or 3 years and the trots will be a South Island game only.

House and Dunn are skimming some of the cream for now, but notice how they've retained their South Island bases so that they can return to them when the North Island closes down.

Racing in all forms has a challenge getting people to track. Multiple reasons: so many entertainment choices; lack of awareness races on (loss of Freeview and shift to online media); increasing influence of anti betting and anti racing lobbies; economics (e.g. higher % of income on housing). Even Auckland traffic (if taken an hr to get home are you going to head back out?). Good dining helps so will be interesting to see if new eating places associated with the new development draw people to the Park. See glass on the building overlooking the track.

On 2/10/2020 at 7:25 PM, tim vince said:

Hats off to the 3 board members that do attend almost every meeting.the rest invisible.scott plant Derek belle len oughton. 

After last night, must be over a month since most of the board members have seen a race.     

2 hours ago, eljay said:

After last night, must be over a month since most of the board members have seen a race.     

Yup......possibly some too busy trying to sell horses to Aussie etc which is speeding up the decline.

But really the Board needs to first sort out and conclude the Building/Apartment issue and other governance and compliance issues with the overall "Business".

There should be an active Racing sub-committee who is extremely busy in tweaking race-nights and looking for solutions.

One race last week ,I think DBalle and I were the only two folk out in front of the Tasman room...the main spectator area !

The two us....there will always be the two of us ...lalala !

10 hours ago, tim vince said:

I thought pretty good racing but crowd seemed small.need bums on seats.good food good facilities good racing why poor attendance.

Well Tim , it was about the same at the rugby.

Blues v Crusaders......the 'big' game !

Much better view staying at home !...way better !

They don't even seem to tell you who the players are....no program and players come and go !

Shame there wasn't a TAB there where watch races at halftime on decent screen......yes some can use their phones , young folk !

1 hour ago, tasman man 11 said:

One race last week ,I think DBalle and I were the only two folk out in front of the Tasman room...the main spectator area !

The two us....there will always be the two of us ...lalala !

Tasman Man

Not sure if Derek would appreciate the song choice

it was the theme to “The Spy Who Shagged Me” wasn’t it?

Mikie

Tim - looks like your idea/suggestion of cheapie weekday meetings wont get a look in.    Heard this morning that workouts/trials will NOT be returning to the park.    Something about the contractors wont allow it - that excuse seems to ring a bell.      So they have a multi million dollar piece of real estate lying idle.     Smells to me that the Puke clan just dont want to move from their piece of dirt.      But no doubt the board dont see any problems - no one there seems to be worried!