RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Berri

Absolutely utterly appalling

10 hours ago, scooby3051 said:

They pay the sponsorship money they can call it what they bloody well like...instead of whinging why dont you sponsor it yourself. No I have no connection in any way to TA but really you are whinging about someone putting up money and calling the race as they want.... get real!!!

Never thought you. did. Sort of tongue and cheeked that comment. It's not that I care two hoots that David and Karen sponsored the race and therefore warrant recognition. It's the renaming of the race dropping the historical reference to that I take issue with.

10 hours ago, Red Rum said:

The Clover Export Maiden Races  that used to be run at Gore were questionable imho , licenced business or was at some point but that's really not flash .

I was given to understand that the last horse in the Clover Export Maiden Stakes at Gore won a free trip to France, wrapped up in a can!

20 minutes ago, Tauhei Notts said:

I was given to understand that the last horse in the Clover Export Maiden Stakes at Gore won a free trip to France, wrapped up in a can!

Dont bare thinking about TN but must admit I did look at rear of field at post with bit of worry . They used to sponsor regularly there , must have closed down .

4 hours ago, Blue said:

Was it inaugurated as the Sir Tristram Classic? If not, what was it called before then? Not terribly fussed on the name but sponsorship is always going to change from time to time and if I had a horse good enough to win it I probably wouldn't give a toss what the race was called. Whether it was a Group or listed race would be more important than the name.

first run in 1986 as the Cambridge Stud Sir Tristram Fillies Classic, the Cambridge Stud part being the sponsor name and the Sir Tristram Fillies Classic the registered racename. run at the Labour Day meeting for the first 3 years and then switched to February. Was a Listed race until 1993 when promoted to Group 3, upgraded the following year to Group 2.

1 hour ago, poundforpound said:

OMG.. fancy allowing some hard working racing folk to put their own money into promoting a specific race by way of stake money, and then allowing them to use their own names to promote themselves to justify their generous donation ... it’s madness

As it happens HQ is investing ( that’s a joke, we’re just donating ) in a small race Derby Day and Ellerslie have given us naming rights.

The last ten years it’s been the Bob’s Big Red Liquor Shed maiden 2100...and being a bit of a stick in the mud traditionalist like Berri Fruit I’m not going to see the reputations of the previous winners of this prestigious race diminished so I’ve insisted that this year it’ll be titled the HeadQuarters criminals in training and The Lonely Hearts gin & whiskey club meets Bob’s Big Red Liquor Shed maiden 2100... and it’s unique as the only race in NZ whereby the name is longer than the race 

too longer name - should of just called it Leo's big red meets maiden :D

2 hours ago, poundforpound said:

OMG.. fancy allowing some hard working racing folk to put their own money into promoting a specific race by way of stake money, and then allowing them to use their own names to promote themselves to justify their generous donation ... it’s madness

As it happens HQ is investing ( that’s a joke, we’re just donating ) in a small race Derby Day and Ellerslie have given us naming rights.

The last ten years it’s been the Bob’s Big Red Liquor Shed maiden 2100...and being a bit of a stick in the mud traditionalist like Berri Fruit I’m not going to see the reputations of the previous winners of this prestigious race diminished so I’ve insisted that this year it’ll be titled the HeadQuarters criminals in training and The Lonely Hearts gin & whiskey club meets Bob’s Big Red Liquor Shed maiden 2100... and it’s unique as the only race in NZ whereby the name is longer than the race 

Agree good on them putting up cash , how about Clover Export Stakes instead of Derby in few weeks , is that OK or is there a line drawn . If it's not surely it could be argued you agree with original post , it's just the degree of it in dispute .

For record imho it was a great days racing , with top horses and again very good they put up the money . It's not the worst name change ever either .

Just now, poundforpound said:

Who’s making the judgement calls on sponsors ?

no alcohol 

no pokies

no plastics

no pharmaceuticals 

Good luck 

No idea who makes call but would Clover Export Stakes instead of Derby be OK ? , anything promoting illegal activity would be out surely , and surely anything that brings racing into disrepute . Like if a jockey got banned for a year you couldnt really have the Joe Bloggs is innocent Stakes so must be a direction somewhere in rules .I doubt France Galop would lose the Arc name , or Grand National etc .

Looking at Risa the George Main is shown in formline but it's the Colgate Optic . There's a middle ground for tradition and recognition of valued sponsors with also the fact beggers cannot be choosers here nowdays .

How about the Climate Change is a crock of shit Stakes ( iam not a denier really so no secret police raids please ) .

15 hours ago, poundforpound said:

Nice twist first line....

Good to see it's a maiden race promoting the gathering of Australian limp wrists having a talk fest at an AA reveal all meeting. If you get the NZTR to agree to the naming of the maiden, I'll stump up for the following race and call it the Anti Lubricant Callouses Are Better Than That Fillies Only Stakes...distance to be determined to suit the need. That way we can get both groups of supporters together for a wee bit of a bash afterwards. 

46 minutes ago, poundforpound said:

How many prefixes has it had.....and name them please 

I have no chance of naming them, to me it is Matamata Breeders Stakes with the sponsors name. 

I think what this trend was trying to say is they would be happy for this race to be known as for example the "Karen and David Ellis Matamata Breeders Stakes".  It recognises the sponsor and retains its history.

The Waikato race in hindsight maybe have been better know as the Waikato Fillies Classic.  With Sir Thristam as the prefix.

Personally I am for sponsors calling it what they like as I have always battled to see what does without direct revenue streams from the industry gain from sponsorship that is above a meal, drink etc package.