RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Berri

Absolutely utterly appalling

I don't get it and I'm fuming. How the hell can the Sir Tristram Classic be renamed the David and Karen Ellis Fillies Stakes? NZTR....work out your policies in respect of naming these important and historic group races, especially the 3 yo group races. We have catalogues where we try and work out the merits of the black type races. If you change the names how the hell are we going to follow what race is what. And fancy changing the name from an iconic stallion that is immortal to a race after two people's name where one of them is the chair person of the racing club. if you get a sponsor, then call it the David and Karen Ellis Sir Tristram Classic.

Come on you people....this is crazy

40 minutes ago, Berri said:

I don't get it and I'm fuming. How the hell can the Sir Tristram Classic be renamed the David and Karen Ellis Fillies Stakes? NZTR....work out your policies in respect of naming these important and historic group races, especially the 3 yo group races. We have catalogues where we try and work out the merits of the black type races. If you change the names how the hell are we going to follow what race is what. And fancy changing the name from an iconic stallion that is immortal to a race after two people's name where one of them is the chair person of the racing club. if you get a sponsor, then call it the David and Karen Ellis Sir Tristram Classic.

Legends Day 2020, sees the prominent raceday turn into a family affair with the three key races sponsored by ardent supporters of the Waikato Racing Club.

The Dyke family have long been associated with New Zealand Richest Weight For Age, the $400,000 Herbie Dyke Sprint. Herbie was a past president and his influence on the Club has left a lasting legacy.

Joining the Dyke Family on February 8th is Joan Egan, who’s boutique nursery Legacy Lodge will take the naming rights to the Group 2 Waikato Guineas and the Ellis family. Joan Egan has been associated with the Legacy Lodge Sprint held in November since 2013 and has proudly extended her sponsorship portfolio to include the Group 2 Waikato Guineas from 2020.

David and Karyn Ellis have also increased their already significant support of the Club to take on the sponsorship of the Group 2 Fillies Classic as their own legacy race.

When the prestigious race came up they jumped at the opportunity to support a Club that they have both given so much too. David being a member for over 30 years, a past Board Member and Chairman. Karyn currently holds the Chairmans position. Between the pair they have given nearly 35 years of administration service to the Waikato Racing Club.

Karyn commented "it gives us both extraordinary pleasure to become the long-term sponsors of this iconic fillies' race. The Waikato Racing Club is a pivotal part of the vibrant Waikato racing scene and has a bright future ahead. This Group 2 fillies' race has always attracted Group 1 class fields and we are proud to be associated with it. It is a key player in the NZB Filly of the Year Series, such as racing and the Club itself have been a key part of both our lives. It was our strong wish to continue to support the Club long after our time on the Board has concluded.

Always one to recognise the team that goes in to preparing these horses at the highest level, David and Karyn will gift the winning strapper $500 in lieu of a dress rug.

So Berri why can they not sponsor the race...Cambridge declined for whatever reason...good on them for stepping up to the plate and taking the race on. Racing needs sponsorship and they should be applauded...JMO.

You sound like the PR agent for the Ellis's. I don't think you read or get what I originally said. Sir Tristram is iconic. He was a breed shaper, an outlier for want of a better expression. It may have been that he stood at Cambridge Stud, but Sir Tristram is now part of our history. That fillies race should always have a name that doesn't change. Any entity that wants to sponsor it should have their name tacked onto the front of it. The reason for this is that when we look at catalogues, we want to know what race is what. If you change the name how can you tell. The sponsorship may only last for a couple of years for all we know.

Seriously Scooby....you don't get the beef?!?

Colgate Optic White Stakes aka George Main . They all at it. 

I suppose the race name followed by sponsored by would be a middle way .

Breeders Cup normally have Breeders Cup Classic brought to you by xyz name .

FA Cup sponsored by Emirates that kind of thing .

Good on sponsors putting up the cash though .

1 hour ago, THE TORCH said:

Like everything today - history, tradition, and heritage all go out the window for the new 5 minute wonders. Racing is sharply being overtaken by it.

It's like the bizarre obsession in sport to give everything a marketing name. I can't think of one NZ sports team that isn't called black socks, or black jack's or something equally daft.

14 minutes ago, Ludwig said:

It's like the bizarre obsession in sport to give everything a marketing name. I can't think of one NZ sports team that isn't called black socks, or black jack's or something equally daft.

Agree. It's way over-the-top, as if there is shame in calling it the New Zealand team.

Surely the biggest question is whether NZ racing, with its lack of depth can afford to run a 3yo fillies and a guineas race, both for the same stake and over the same distance, on the same day; with fields of 6 and 7. And what does it say for the colts and geldings when two fillies decide the males are so weak they might as well line up against them, and the best male finishes more than 13 lengths off the winner. If it wasn't for the fillies lining up the group 2 status for the guineas would have been history.

30 minutes ago, We're Doomed said:

Surely the biggest question is whether NZ racing, with its lack of depth can afford to run a 3yo fillies and a guineas race, both for the same stake and over the same distance, on the same day; with fields of 6 and 7. And what does it say for the colts and geldings when two fillies decide the males are so weak they might as well line up against them, and the best male finishes more than 13 lengths off the winner. If it wasn't for the fillies lining up the group 2 status for the guineas would have been history.

Have to agree with your summation there.

Have the two 3 y old races always been run on the same day?   

20 hours ago, Berri said:

who cares

2 hours ago, Pam Robson said:

Have to agree with your summation there.

Have the two 3 y old races always been run on the same day?   

No. When the Derby was on Boxing Day the Waikato Guineas was run in early November. That changed when the Derby was moved to March, and until recently Te Rapa had two Saturdays in a row, and the Guineas was run on the first day and the week later the Sir Tristram Fillies Classic. Now Te Rapa only has the one Saturday meeting instead of two, so the Guineas is on the same day as the fillies race and just a week before the Avondale Guineas at Ellerslie. So basically another programming failure that no one thought 'is this a good idea' before they went through with it. 

2 hours ago, mckenzie said:

No. When the Derby was on Boxing Day the Waikato Guineas was run in early November. That changed when the Derby was moved to March, and until recently Te Rapa had two Saturdays in a row, and the Guineas was run on the first day and the week later the Sir Tristram Fillies Classic. Now Te Rapa only has the one Saturday meeting instead of two, so the Guineas is on the same day as the fillies race and just a week before the Avondale Guineas at Ellerslie. So basically another programming failure that no one thought 'is this a good idea' before they went through with it. 

Yep, didn't think my memory had them tagged together.  Forgot about the effect the Derby move had.  Think the Avondale Guineas was held beforehand too...?

So we don't have a mortgage on programming oddities down here,  clearly.

On 2/8/2020 at 5:16 PM, Berri said:

You sound like the PR agent for the Ellis's. I don't think you read or get what I originally said. Sir Tristram is iconic. He was a breed shaper, an outlier for want of a better expression. It may have been that he stood at Cambridge Stud, but Sir Tristram is now part of our history. That fillies race should always have a name that doesn't change. Any entity that wants to sponsor it should have their name tacked onto the front of it. The reason for this is that when we look at catalogues, we want to know what race is what. If you change the name how can you tell. The sponsorship may only last for a couple of years for all we know.

Seriously Scooby....you don't get the beef?!?

They pay the sponsorship money they can call it what they bloody well like...instead of whinging why dont you sponsor it yourself. No I have no connection in any way to TA but really you are whinging about someone putting up money and calling the race as they want.... get real!!!

5 minutes ago, scooby3051 said:

They pay the sponsorship money they can call it what they bloody well like...instead of whinging why dont you sponsor it yourself. No I have no connection in any way to TA but really you are whinging about someone putting up money and calling the race as they want.... get real!!!

Not knocking any sponsor but surely you would draw a line or find a compromise at some point . I turn up , outbid current sponsor and have the Bob's Backstreet Backpackers Cheap Arse Old  Cars Stakes instead of Derby Stakes how would you feel about that .

For balance the Juddmonte International is mostly rated top 5 in world each year . It started as the Benson and Hedges Stakes , later changed to International Stakes I think because of cutback of ciggie adds , so I would argue it's original name is the name that means little now , International Stakes is the name that stands out.

I'm surprised NZ racecourses haven't sold out yet to naming sponsorship rights, like some other sporting and entertainment venues around the country, and the world for that matter. 

A few of the trotting tracks have sponsored passing lanes and the commentator has to work the sponsor's name into every call. It's annoying to listen to, but I guess it results in coin going to the club. 

I hate sporting venues having an added sponsorship, corporate name. But, I can't help but feel that some racing entities may be missing out on an opportunity. 

15 minutes ago, Rusty said:

I'm surprised NZ racecourses haven't sold out yet to naming sponsorship rights, like some other sporting and entertainment venues around the country, and the world for that matter. 

A few of the trotting tracks have sponsored passing lanes and the commentator has to work the sponsor's name into every call. It's annoying to listen to, but I guess it results in coin going to the club. 

I hate sporting venues having an added sponsorship, corporate name. But, I can't help but feel that some racing entities may be missing out on an opportunity. 

The Clover Export Maiden Races  that used to be run at Gore were questionable imho , licenced business or was at some point but that's really not flash .

17 hours ago, drewandjo said:

the registered name of the race is the Sir Tristram Fillies Classic and until that changes that is what we will see in sale catalogues...….have you ever seen Colgate Optic White in one?

Was it inaugurated as the Sir Tristram Classic? If not, what was it called before then? Not terribly fussed on the name but sponsorship is always going to change from time to time and if I had a horse good enough to win it I probably wouldn't give a toss what the race was called. Whether it was a Group or listed race would be more important than the name.