winx21

awapuni synthetic track

18 posts in this topic

56 minutes ago, winx21 said:

Does anyone know what happening with that? I read a recent comment by alasdair robertson that the provincial growth are funding part of it

I think the Awapuni and Riccarton  proposed AWTs  have been shifted to Cambridge and the other two tracks have installed two flat screen TVs to show the simulcast of  their allocated AWT meeting back to base . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2/2/2020

Traffic flows  seem to be a problem .

"" A decision on land rezoning critical to the development of Palmerston North's Awapuni Racecourse is still awaited five months after a resource management hearing.  

Resource consent commissioners have indicated that the 24 hectares of land is suitable for building about 220 homes.

But they were worried about the impact on residents on the other side of the boundary of Te Wanaka Rd, who would be stranded in a remnant of a race training zone. 

RACE  has asked the commissioners to make a decision "in a timely manner".

It would use the proceeds from selling the land as its contribution to an all-weather racing track, a project in partnership with the Provincial Growth Fund to realise the vision for the course to be one of the top three racing "super centres" in New Zealand.""

"Any delays in rezoning approval will place this partnership at risk," said Race chief executive Alasdair Robertson. ""

I note Robertson states , delays will put the  partnership (RACE) at risk , not just the synthetic track .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How does all this fit in with the future venue plan and is it the clubs driving this or the NZTR or both.

The assetts of Foxton, Levin, Otaki, Manawatu Raceway and perhaps Trentham are all under review potentially with funds to be used for the industry going forward.

Any money from the sale of land would need to be used for the future capital of the industry and could be lost forever if used for current expenditure.

The PGF should be paying the full cost and not pushing the club into spending money they dont need to right now.

I am puzzled as to who is driving this project and how it fits into the overall plan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Patiti said:

How does all this fit in with the future venue plan and is it the clubs driving this or the NZTR or both.

The assetts of Foxton, Levin, Otaki, Manawatu Raceway and perhaps Trentham are all under review potentially with funds to be used for the industry going forward.

Any money from the sale of land would need to be used for the future capital of the industry and could be lost forever if used for current expenditure.

The PGF should be paying the full cost and not pushing the club into spending money they dont need to right now.

I am puzzled as to who is driving this project and how it fits into the overall plan.

It is certainly an interesting concept. It will create a whole new set of winter horses; synthetic track specialists, who will be going around at the same time as genuine mudders who just can't wait for the Trentham or New Plymouth bog. So effectively the CD will need two sets of winter horses. Do they have enough horses/ They are struggling to fill fields as it is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Patiti said:

How does all this fit in with the future venue plan and is it the clubs driving this or the NZTR or both.

The assetts of Foxton, Levin, Otaki, Manawatu Raceway and perhaps Trentham are all under review potentially with funds to be used for the industry going forward.

Any money from the sale of land would need to be used for the future capital of the industry and could be lost forever if used for current expenditure.

The PGF should be paying the full cost and not pushing the club into spending money they dont need to right now.

I am puzzled as to who is driving this project and how it fits into the overall plan.

My understanding is Foxton and Otaki is Moari land on lease , could be wrong . Can't see Levin being sold either , being redeveloped with all tie ups and hosing bays and truck parking being moved track side to remove safety issues around horses crossing the road . And also a huge asset for the development of young horses in the lower north island with their regular jumpouts . Also i think the club constitution states if land is sold proceeds must go back to community , again could be wrong but also a strong will on the ground from participants that this would happen anyway . Club has already given up it's G1 race for a poor imitation , plus i think dropped at least 1 if not 2 of it's racedays over recent seasons so not that much more to lose from the racing side . Personally Trentham is the white elephant now and where the greatest financial gain is , sad for me as i grew up thru the 70's , 80's going to Trentham but it is well past it's used by date . JMO tho , might upset a few .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, We're Doomed said:

It is certainly an interesting concept. It will create a whole new set of winter horses; synthetic track specialists, who will be going around at the same time as genuine mudders who just can't wait for the Trentham or New Plymouth bog. So effectively the CD will need two sets of winter horses. Do they have enough horses/ They are struggling to fill fields as it is.

This the problem , mudders are mudders for a reason , they will all give it a go but large proportion of the horses won't like it or simply not fast enough , hence needing a bog , then we will be left very small numbers that like the surface . One of the reasons Avondale under lights failed , a lot of horses didn't cope with night racing so numbers dwindled , i remember lots of very small fields after the initial settling in period . Fix the surfaces we race on now PROPERLY with top international expertise and i think we would be better off . Might take a bit of time to get them all right but would be a much better option in the long run . $20 mil for A/W tracks would go a long way to fixing most of our best tracks .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/11/2020 at 8:18 AM, tripple alliance said:

2/2/2020

Traffic flows  seem to be a problem .

"" A decision on land rezoning critical to the development of Palmerston North's Awapuni Racecourse is still awaited five months after a resource management hearing.  

Resource consent commissioners have indicated that the 24 hectares of land is suitable for building about 220 homes.

But they were worried about the impact on residents on the other side of the boundary of Te Wanaka Rd, who would be stranded in a remnant of a race training zone. 

RACE  has asked the commissioners to make a decision "in a timely manner".

It would use the proceeds from selling the land as its contribution to an all-weather racing track, a project in partnership with the Provincial Growth Fund to realise the vision for the course to be one of the top three racing "super centres" in New Zealand.""

"Any delays in rezoning approval will place this partnership at risk," said Race chief executive Alasdair Robertson. ""

I note Robertson states , delays will put the  partnership (RACE) at risk , not just the synthetic track .

The latest . I doubt this will be resolved before the next election , these things take time .

" The residential zoning of Palmerston North's next suburb to the west on Pioneer Highway has been approved, but with two major conditions that could delay a start on building houses at Kikiwhenua.  Resource management commissioners said the city council had to include properties to the west of Te Wanaka Rd in the residential zone before development could go ahead.

Race, the owner, wants to sell the land for housing to help pay for an all-weather track at Awapuni.  

The commissioners agreed the land was suitable for urban development, but said properties on the western side of Te Wanaka Rd in the remainder of the race training zone should have been included. 

They said the western property owners would be left in a zone with restrictive rules that would make it practically impossible for them to carry out race training activities or anything else.

"We found the evidence from the western owners, overall, compelling and credible."

Spokesman for the western landowners Neil Wright said he was "quite elated" with the conditions attached to the decision.

"They have identified that Te Wanaka Rd is not the boundary for the race training zone, but the heart of it."

He said Race should have acted as the custodian for the whole zone in its request to the council for rezoning, not just for the part it wanted to sell.

Race chief executive Al Robertson said he would not comment on the decision until the group had taken advice on the implications and next steps."

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/11/2020 at 11:27 AM, We're Doomed said:

It is certainly an interesting concept. It will create a whole new set of winter horses; synthetic track specialists, who will be going around at the same time as genuine mudders who just can't wait for the Trentham or New Plymouth bog. So effectively the CD will need two sets of winter horses. Do they have enough horses/ They are struggling to fill fields as it is.

Very good point. Punting will also become more of a lottery for the same reason and they need to consider whether this will affect turnover.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/11/2020 at 8:18 AM, tripple alliance said:

"Any delays in rezoning approval will place this partnership at risk," said Race chief executive Alasdair Robertson. ""

Can't see that has anything to do with resource management matters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Leggy said:

Nope. Foxton is Crown land under the Public Reserves Act.

Cheers Leggy , but really what's it worth and would that amount be of any real help in solving our problems . I would like to now the exact financial cost of Foxton to the racing industry . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Leggy said:

Can't see that has anything to do with resource management matters.

So this delay means race's partnership with provincial growth fund is at risk?

Where is NZTR in this,have they got nothing to do with this partnership?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, nomates said:

Cheers Leggy , but really what's it worth and would that amount be of any real help in solving our problems . I would like to now the exact financial cost of Foxton to the racing industry . 

It's not much. In the last couple of years the Racing Development Fund has subsidised new plastic running rail, a set of starting gates for trials and refurbishment of  the remaining stand to raceday standard. I don't think it's on the close list last I saw. Be a bit of a waste of club and industry resources if it is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Leggy said:

It's not much. In the last couple of years the Racing Development Fund has subsidised new plastic running rail, a set of starting gates for trials and refurbishment of  the remaining stand to raceday standard. I don't think it's on the close list last I saw. Be a bit of a waste of club and industry resources if it is.

Totally agree , but Foxton would seem to be dead and buried as a racing venue , seems the improvements might be to ensure a regular trials venue for CD , i hope not as Foxton was a huge asset for central district racing during winter and could be again and always attracted a very good oncourse attendance . Completely wasted but the fires served their purpose for those that wanted track closures . I'm sure if it had been Palmy , Trentham or Hastings the powers that be would have bent over backwards to get it up and going ASAP .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now