RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
arjay

Riccarton fields

9 hours ago, arjay said:

The track was chipping out on top, to me this means a hard surface underneath,  and no real grass root structure, or water table to low to begin with.

That’s the Riccarton track full stop!
The way that it was relayed 20 years ago was flawed, so will never get any better. 
If they were to dig it up and redo it (the only answer) where are they going to race? 

On 2/5/2020 at 10:17 PM, We're Doomed said:

The lack of facilities has nothing to do with the lack of horses. I do agree, the facilities are a disgrace.

I think it is time the CJC stepped up and said "right everything is a mess, we have to take charge and show some leadership, we are the senior club in the South".

Ironically, I think the SI is incredibly well placed considering the state of the industry as a whole. There are heaps of horses, just usually in the wrong place at the wrong time; there are some amazing trainers in the Parsons, Pimans and Tylers, and some up and comers; a superstar jockey in CWJ, a rising star in Kozzi Asano, some great horses including Enzo's Lad and Kiwi Ida: Cup Week,  popular circuits like the West Coast and the Christmas circuit;  icons like the Dennis Brothers and Andertons, a great history and tradition; regular success in the NI,  some very good race tracks, the best winter tracks in the country, some dedicated owners, and breeders. What is lacking? Perhaps a superstar stallion, and most definitely leadership. Someone needs to step up. I think it should be the CJC. They should be calling a meeting of all SI clubs and participants and saying "forget all this mesara and winston rubbish, we know how to run our own show,  let's make this work.

So much sense here. Careful or the "leaders" in Wellington might believe in it.

1 hour ago, arjay said:

Provided a good surface to race on yesterday? thoughts anyone

Yes,  track seemed to play fair and I did not hear a negative comment from any jockey - some of the rider interviews made reference to how much kinder the track was.

There was rain on three separate occasions during the week, and the recent cool and overcast weather no doubt helped reduce the drying out.

On 2/8/2020 at 6:41 AM, Insider said:

That’s the Riccarton track full stop!
The way that it was relayed 20 years ago was flawed, so will never get any better. 
If they were to dig it up and redo it (the only answer) where are they going to race? 

On the allweather?

3 minutes ago, Ludwig said:

Plenty of tracks available.,..Timaru, Rangiora, Motukurara, Waimate, Oamaru....now what's planned for those tracks?

That allweather comment was slightly tongue-in-cheek....of the above-mentioned, Rangiora has been unused for gallops for many, many years [ apart from trials ]  Motukarara has only a couple of years left before it is closed,  Waimate already done away with, Oamaru not sure,  Timaru also on the close list,  a situation that has most stakeholders gobsmacked.  A good surface winter and summer,  good [if a little dated] facilities for both spectators and horses,  and central to both major population centres in the Sth Island - ChCh and Dunedin.  

..and when the Riccarton track was upgraded back in [ I think ] 1998,  we had to use both Motukarara and Rangiora until it was ready.  Worked pretty well from memory.

22 minutes ago, Pam Robson said:

That allweather comment was slightly tongue-in-cheek....of the above-mentioned, Rangiora has been unused for gallops for many, many years [ apart from trials ]  Motukarara has only a couple of years left before it is closed,  Waimate already done away with, Oamaru not sure,  Timaru also on the close list,  a situation that has most stakeholders gobsmacked.  A good surface winter and summer,  good [if a little dated] facilities for both spectators and horses,  and central to both major population centres in the Sth Island - ChCh and Dunedin.  

..and when the Riccarton track was upgraded back in [ I think ] 1998,  we had to use both Motukarara and Rangiora until it was ready.  Worked pretty well from memory.

The reality of NZs climate is that we need backup plans, and particularly so for racing. And that approach seems to be lacking from our current "leaders".