RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
arjay

Riccarton fields

Saturday"s fields:  A 7 race card, no maiden race, no 2yo race.   R82 7 runners for 30k, open hcp 1800m 5 runners 35k.   R65  one of 15 starters, the other 17 starters. Just what is going on, how can a raceday be so stuffed up. Pam help me out here.

Can't comment about the maiden race - but I got a call this morning from Karen Parsons pleading with me to find a two year old to add to the entries.   Unfortunately I couldn't help her...apparently there were only four noms so the race was scrubbed.

Yes, it's a bloody mess all round. Poor fields all week for big money. 7 races at Tauranga; 5 with 7 starters or less. Te Rapa four seven horse fields to start the day.

Terrible for the four 2yos that wanted to go around at Riccarton. Didn't they run a three horse 2yo race up north recently because one horse needed some money to get into the $1m race? Amazing that no other trainer had a 2yo to line up; $1,100 just for running 4th, better than going to the trials.. $22,500 wasted. 2yo racing in the SI is a real chicken and egg situation. Because there are so few 2yo races and no logical pattern few trainers bother, so when clubs do programme a 2yo race there are hardly any horses to line up.

I think a lot of trainers are too scared to start at metropolitan meetings for decent stakes, but you can't win if you aren't in.

As someone did mention on here we are almost at the stage where we have to start arranging programmes closer to race day, for supporting races at least, to make the most of the horses that are available. 

One day it might occur to someone that continually eliminating horses from maidens and rating 65s limits the numbers available in the higher grades.

I do think trainers need to be more proactive, either by supporting the clubs putting up good stakes or by liaising much better with the clubs to try and make sure things are done better all round.

I have to admit, I have lost all interest in rita, the messara report, tab restructuring, racing act submissions etc and don't contribute to any of those threads. I feel that if we can't get any of the basics right what on earth is the point worrying about big picture stuff.

58 minutes ago, TurnyTom said:

Twilight industry

Probably, but are we doing anything at all to try and arrest the slide or make sure we operate more efficiently?

If the CJC was a corner dairy do you think they would try a few things to make their business more successful?

7 minutes ago, We're Doomed said:

Probably, but are we doing anything at all to try and arrest the slide or make sure we operate more efficiently?

If the CJC was a corner dairy do you think they would try a few things to make their business more successful?

It's been all said before about facilities and atmosphere at Riccarton , Addington puts it to total shame . I wished I liked the wobblers more  sometimes .

16 minutes ago, Red Rum said:

It's been all said before about facilities and atmosphere at Riccarton , Addington puts it to total shame . I wished I liked the wobblers more  sometimes .

The lack of facilities has nothing to do with the lack of horses. I do agree, the facilities are a disgrace.

I think it is time the CJC stepped up and said "right everything is a mess, we have to take charge and show some leadership, we are the senior club in the South".

Ironically, I think the SI is incredibly well placed considering the state of the industry as a whole. There are heaps of horses, just usually in the wrong place at the wrong time; there are some amazing trainers in the Parsons, Pimans and Tylers, and some up and comers; a superstar jockey in CWJ, a rising star in Kozzi Asano, some great horses including Enzo's Lad and Kiwi Ida: Cup Week,  popular circuits like the West Coast and the Christmas circuit;  icons like the Dennis Brothers and Andertons, a great history and tradition; regular success in the NI,  some very good race tracks, the best winter tracks in the country, some dedicated owners, and breeders. What is lacking? Perhaps a superstar stallion, and most definitely leadership. Someone needs to step up. I think it should be the CJC. They should be calling a meeting of all SI clubs and participants and saying "forget all this mesara and winston rubbish, we know how to run our own show,  let's make this work.

Why would the average bettor attend a meeting like this, in reality he has a 5 race betting card, off course betting on 2 of these races will be poor as well. The planners of the club deserve a solid kick in the backside. Have to agree with all replies. Yes trainers need to get active in this area if possible.

15 hours ago, We're Doomed said:

The lack of facilities has nothing to do with the lack of horses. I do agree, the facilities are a disgrace.

I think it is time the CJC stepped up and said "right everything is a mess, we have to take charge and show some leadership, we are the senior club in the South".

Ironically, I think the SI is incredibly well placed considering the state of the industry as a whole. There are heaps of horses, just usually in the wrong place at the wrong time; there are some amazing trainers in the Parsons, Pimans and Tylers, and some up and comers; a superstar jockey in CWJ, a rising star in Kozzi Asano, some great horses including Enzo's Lad and Kiwi Ida: Cup Week,  popular circuits like the West Coast and the Christmas circuit;  icons like the Dennis Brothers and Andertons, a great history and tradition; regular success in the NI,  some very good race tracks, the best winter tracks in the country, some dedicated owners, and breeders. What is lacking? Perhaps a superstar stallion, and most definitely leadership. Someone needs to step up. I think it should be the CJC. They should be calling a meeting of all SI clubs and participants and saying "forget all this mesara and winston rubbish, we know how to run our own show,  let's make this work.

War Decree could be the superstar stallion maybe . I'd guess if he starts getting the winners home in couple of years he will follow Zacinto up to  NI .

12 minutes ago, Red Rum said:

War Decree could be the superstar stallion maybe . I'd guess if he starts getting the winners home in couple of years he will follow Zacinto up to  NI .

Interesting. He sounds like a staying type. Hopefully a fast stayer. The SI really needs an injection of brilliance. I always thought something like Green Moon would be an ideal fast stayer type for the SI; no idea where he ended up. We probably need some fast Aussie stallions down south to get things moving.

6 hours ago, arjay said:

Why would the average bettor attend a meeting like this, in reality he has a 5 race betting card, off course betting on 2 of these races will be poor as well. The planners of the club deserve a solid kick in the backside. Have to agree with all replies. Yes trainers need to get active in this area if possible.

It is good to see someone else with an interest in this sort of thing. I always thought I was a lone voice. Perhaps someone should have been clever enough to accept with a 2yo at Riccarton and then scratch it so four could still go around, just like the 3yo race at Tauherenikau today.

22 minutes ago, We're Doomed said:

Interesting. He sounds like a staying type. Hopefully a fast stayer. The SI really needs an injection of brilliance. I always thought something like Green Moon would be an ideal fast stayer type for the SI; no idea where he ended up. We probably need some fast Aussie stallions down south to get things moving.

Love the look of him , looks a mix of dirt and turf pedigree . Ticker Tape was a decent Euro that cleaned up in US 15 or so years back. That stud really know the time of day .

On 2/5/2020 at 7:28 PM, We're Doomed said:

Yes, it's a bloody mess all round. Poor fields all week for big money. 7 races at Tauranga; 5 with 7 starters or less. Te Rapa four seven horse fields to start the day.

I have to admit, I have lost all interest in rita, the messara report, tab restructuring, racing act submissions etc and don't contribute to any of those threads. I feel that if we can't get any of the basics right what on earth is the point worrying about big picture stuff.

I'm afraid I have the same sentiments.  I couldn't say I don't care,  but I have lost heart with the whole RITA biso,  what will happen will have little bearing on any submissions ordinary mortals might make,  so no point losing sleep over it.

As you say  -  and has Leggy also, on many occasions -  the basics can be sorted with little if any cost,  but there seems to be no will to do so.

15 hours ago, We're Doomed said:

It is good to see someone else with an interest in this sort of thing. I always thought I was a lone voice. Perhaps someone should have been clever enough to accept with a 2yo at Riccarton and then scratch it so four could still go around, just like the 3yo race at Tauherenikau today.

WRT the two year olds -  it appears that the very hard track at the last meeting took its toll,  hence the lack of representation with the youngsters.

Terri Rae put her winner Windsor aside for a short let-up - he was jarred up,  she told me -  as was my runner, which has also been put aside briefly;  and these weren't two year olds.

The perception is [ rightly or wrongly ]  that track conditions are against many, which tends to lead to the apparently odd decisions from many connections to bypass good stakes and line up at a lesser meeting.

I should imagine the club will be lucky to get 1000 people on course saturday. This is a disgrace, the height of summer, poor fields, and clubs wondering why they cannot attract punters to a race track. CJC are they still the wankers of 50 years ago?

1 hour ago, Pam Robson said:

WRT the two year olds -  it appears that the very hard track at the last meeting took its toll,  hence the lack of representation with the youngsters.

Terri Rae put her winner Windsor aside for a short let-up - he was jarred up,  she told me -  as was my runner, which has also been put aside briefly;  and these weren't two year olds.

The perception is [ rightly or wrongly ]  that track conditions are against many, which tends to lead to the apparently odd decisions from many connections to bypass good stakes and line up at a lesser meeting.

There really needs to be a set in stone 2 year old programme in SI to inject life into division .They need to commit to running all those races even if walkover . Try get NZB on board with a bonus scheme . They could try it for one year , might give bottom end of sales a boost .No point getting into precocious one , set it for race and it's canned then nothing for months .

One of the saddest things is that there is never any interaction on here from the clubs. This is a diverse forum with a wide range of industry participants and on-lookers. The only major industry segments that don't participate on here are the clubs and NZTR. Surely this would be a brilliant way for the clubs to put their side of things across and explain to participants how things work. Often there might be a good explanation for why things are as they are. It would be a great way for clubs to promote their meetings and try out innovative ideas.

Does the CJC have anyone in charge of publicity? Is Tim Mills still the CEO? If he is, he has been there for a while so he should have a good understanding about how things work, and must have some innovative ideas moving forward. Do the clubs even know this place exists?  Do trainers other than the half doz or so who regularly contribute on here know about this place and the sentiments expressed on here. Wouldn't it be brilliant if the CJC came on here and kept people updated with progress on the grandstand. As it stands the new crusaders ground might be up and running before the riccarton public grandstand.

Do clubs do a review when they get poor fields to make sure it doesn't happen again? Do they do a big ring around if fields are looking light, or is that left to the trainers affected?

5 hours ago, Pam Robson said:

Still such a thing as irrigation?, am sure the 1st race could be for the babies with a starting track at dead4? or was the 2yo race at the last meeting just to tough on a good2-3?

Friday Morning
Weather: Overcast
Track: Dead 5
Rail: True | 3mm Rain Overnight
Weather and Track Updated at 8.53am Friday 7 February

Track conditions from NZTR site.
Would have been OK for 2yo's unless already a bit shinny

10 hours ago, Pam Robson said:

Well said ...who in their right mind wants to risk a horse - esp an immature 2yo - by training/racing on flint hard surfaces.

5 hours ago, Patiti said:
Friday Morning
Weather: Overcast
Track: Dead 5
Rail: True | 3mm Rain Overnight
Weather and Track Updated at 8.53am Friday 7 February

Track conditions from NZTR site.
Would have been OK for 2yo's unless already a bit shinny

The track was chipping out on top, to me this means a hard surface underneath,  and no real grass root structure, or water table to low to begin with.