RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
teletubby

donating your body to medicine

last night on tv they had a doco about donaating your body to medicine etc..

quite informative..

no not think i would enjoy someone pulling my parts to bits and hacking at different vital organs but then again.. i'm dead and wouldn't really care would i?

what you guys think. would you do donate or not?

last night on tv they had a doco about donaating your body to medicine etc..

quite informative..

no not think i would enjoy someone pulling my parts to bits and hacking at different vital organs but then again.. i'm dead and wouldn't really care would i?

what you guys think. would you do donate or not?

picture this senario tubby , suppose that you are a healthy individual who has reached deaths door through an accident and you have indicated that you would be a willing organ donor. With long waiting lists for spare parts and ambitious surgeons waiting in the wings for transplant donors and megabucks attached to such operations do you really think that trying to save your life would be a top priority given that organs are harvested before death sets in ?

When doing my sport and rec degree I had the pleasure in going to Otago University and going into a room full of bodies donated to medicine. There we identified particular muscles and tendons but it was an eye opener. They also have a museum where there is a full body sliced and placed in perspects, you can then pull out different regions of the body.

Yeah who gives a Rats A$$ after I'm gone

If I can help someone else then why not.

Jezza

Missed the program but I have long thought it a great idea,made enquiries a few years ago but was told they had a surplus and also would only take donations from the South Island.Does it cost anything or are all costs met by them ?

I might make further enquiries.

Teletubby, they can have everything of mine except my eyes, I want to see that they do things properly !!!

Cheers-Archie

I dont think they accept bits and pieces from bodies over a certain age archie :)

picture this senario tubby , suppose that you are a healthy individual who has reached deaths door through an accident and you have indicated that you would be a willing organ donor. With long waiting lists for spare parts and ambitious surgeons waiting in the wings for transplant donors and megabucks attached to such operations do you really think that trying to save your life would be a top priority given that organs are harvested before death sets in ?

There are checks and balances in the system. medical professionals are not informed whether the patient has donated their body to medicine till after being pronounced clinically dead. So they'd have to not save everyone at risk and hope there were some donors among them.

I had an 18 year old cousin who was also my godson killed in a car accident many years ago. He was on life support for a while till he was pronounced dead. Then it was revealed that he and his mother had agreed to make his body parts available for medicine.

Rather than being hasty the hospital approached the family to see if they could keep the body on life support even though clinically dead as they had a suitable kidney patient needing a transplant and needed to wait till the timing was right. Needless to say the family's answer was yes.

I think your fear there is unfounded.

If I could help someone in such a way after I was gone I'd be all for it.

You're a long time dead so may as well do something worthwhile with all those spare parts and all that time on your hands. People in the graveyard don't use their kidneys, liver and limbs all that often and even less so in the crematorium.