RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
tim vince

Nui ba den

God you talk some North of the Bombay hills garbage Tasman. The reason people won't send their horses North is it is too expensive to get them there and have them trained there and Alexandra Park is such an awful track to race on

3 minutes ago, Stables said:

God you talk some North of the Bombay hills garbage Tasman. The reason people won't send their horses North is it is too expensive to get them there and have them trained there and Alexandra Park is such an awful track to race on

Bull shit Stables....firstly explain when a seller or leasor pays for transport !

My comments based on facts [ and research ] !

Yes training costs are higher....cost of land ,feed blah blah ....but opportunities are there .Would increase significantly with more horses ,like v like !

Talking to many southern harness men of late...at Interdoms and Karaka and my views made from comments made , franked by some Northerners on the lookout and SDickson in recent Harnesslink /GKnight article.

Southerners reluctant to let their underperforming ponies go for the reasons I said ,plus more hobby trainers down there.

One Southernman suggested that he'd heard Alex was on it's last legs !

It's no surprise that an optimistic person like MHouse sees the opportunities

It would be ok Gary but my emails never get answered.to be fair the handicappers are hamstrung. I'm resigned to nothing changing .our own club the atc seems not to got out to bat for us.im not sure if the act board understands the handicapping.any discussions I have it seems not.

Auckland is not on the agenda for horses for 2 reasons, a) it is too expensive to take horses there by owners, especially because of the difficulties that Southern horses have coping with the AP track and B) Aussies are prepared to pay more for horses than Aucklanders are

3 hours ago, Stables said:

I have raced many horses at Alexandra Park, with more  success than average

I'm not agreeing entirely with Stables but the cost of having a horse trained up North is a factor (going the wrong way may be an issue for some, but not all)

Yes, the South has the All Stars who are at the higher end of the scale on a per day basis, but the South also has a huge number of hobby trainers who are 50/50 with mates in a horse

Don't underestimate how many there are, just have a count-up at the next Banks Peninsula meeting 

Those hobby Trainers don't bolster the numbers at Alexandra Park and, yes, for the reasons that Stables has put forward (land cost, training track availability)

15 minutes ago, Mikie said:

I have raced many horses at Alexandra Park, with more  success than average

I'm not agreeing entirely with Stables but the cost of having a horse trained up North is a factor (going the wrong way may be an issue for some, but not all)

Yes, the South has the All Stars who are at the higher end of the scale on a per day basis, but the South also has a huge number of hobby trainers who are 50/50 with mates in a horse

Don't underestimate how many there are, just have a count-up at the next Banks Peninsula meeting 

Those hobby Trainers don't bolster the numbers at Alexandra Park and, yes, for the reasons that Stables has put forward (land cost, training track availability)

Please read my post...I'm talking selling or leasing .......not expecting a hobby South Islander to put his horse in the boot of his car and to drive it North and have a go......sell or lease !

I follow a few South Island horses and they 'hobby' horses to their connections and their formlines are very poor.

Possibly they don't like racing left handed ......haha.....maybe they would love a change of outlook ,warmer winter etc.

Just the horse head north....I don't expect the owner in gumboots and drinking speights  to suddenly buy loafers and drink latte !

My southern cousins are losing decent coin on these horses !

They too dream of a good one. !

1 hour ago, tasman man 11 said:

Please read my post...I'm talking selling or leasing .......not expecting a hobby South Islander to put his horse in the boot of his car and to drive it North and have a go......sell or lease !

I follow a few South Island horses and they 'hobby' horses to their connections and their formlines are very poor.

Possibly they don't like racing left handed ......haha.....maybe they would love a change of outlook ,warmer winter etc.

Just the horse head north....I don't expect the owner in gumboots and drinking speights  to suddenly buy loafers and drink latte !

My southern cousins are losing decent coin on these horses !

They too dream of a good one. !

Please read my post

I wasn't thinking that a hobby trainer from South would race up there

Read what I've posted, I've said that the number of hobby trainer's horses in the South Island at some meetings really help the numbers

If you want to be pedantic then perhaps I should have said "these types of hobby trainers aren't around at Alexandra Park as they are in the South Island" but I thought most would have got the drift

I'll try to be even clearer in future for you Tasman Man

Left or right handed racing.     Sometimes I think it is just a convenient excuse?     The country is dotted with both left and right handed galloping tacks and there doesn't seem to be a problem there.      My horses never seemed to have a problem going either way, they were trained that way - one day go left, next day go right.     And most of the bigger training establishments don't seem to have that problem either.     

I've owned horses that would interfer one way but not the other so which way round they raced was significant. Also while on the committee at Cambridge and hosting winning owners, occasionally some would lament their horse couldn't race Auckland way round. And these weren't poor horses!

As an owner, I want to see my horse race and just watching it on TV is a far less enjoyable experience than being there in person. You miss out on so much: I like to see how the horse is before and after the race, see how it warms up and hear the comments of the driver afterwards. Then there are all the social interactions. So a SI owner would need to think that Auckland racing was best for the horse, even though it means less enjoyment personally. Of course, if they have lots of horses and/or don't go to the track, this would be less of an issue. 

Often its conformation - the horse might hit a knee one way round. But sometimes it just like people who are left or right handed and have a slightly longer stride on their dominant side.