RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
JJ Flash

Japan bars betting on Melbourne and Caulfield Cups

Bizarre Move !!

Japanese horses enjoyed a freakishly successful Melbourne spring carnival last year but Japan has now sensationally barred the Melbourne Cup and Caulfield Cup from being eligible from betting on in their home country.

The shock move has been described as “disappointing” by Melbourne Racing Club executive racing manager Jake Norton who expects MRC revenue from international media rights to be slashed by about five percent as a result.

But perhaps more of a concern could be the negative public impact and perception that Japanese punters not being able to bet on the Melbourne Cup and the Caulfield Cup in their home country could generate.

“There is certainly a pure racing impact because we love to see international participation in our top flight races ... this decision I guess demonstrates their position (about the Caulfield and Melbourne Cups) on an international stage,” Norton told Racenet.

“It’s disappointing given we have got a reigning Japanese winner of the Caulfield Cup (Mer De Glace) and two of the last six winners are from Japan.

“Just on that score it’s disappointing because we thought the Caulfield Cup was growing in renown in Japan.

“In pure commercial terms it’s not am immaterial amount of money but it would be a fraction in terms of our international media rights as a whole.

“The (media rights) payment is based on what is turned over in that jurisdiction.”

Racing Victoria confirmed the news when contacted by Racenet but indicated it was a matter for the race clubs to comment further on, given it was the clubs that received the direct financial benefit from the Japanese.

RV pointed out the Cox Plate, which was last year won by Japanese superstar Lys Gracieux, remained on the list known as the simulcast list which meant it was still eligible for betting on in Japan as long as a runner from Japan participates.

The Group I pair of the Doncaster Mile and the George Ryder Stakes in NSW are also on the list of races that the Japanese Department of Agriculture and Fisheries (which oversees racing in Japan) has now deleted from being eligible from betting on in Japan.

It is a body blow to Australian racing as a whole, but particularly the Melbourne spring carnival with the strong Japanese presence in recent years.

And in 2006 there was a Japanese quinella in the Melbourne Cup when Delta Blues and Pop Rock finished first and second.

As recently as December, there were even stronger ties thought to be forged between Australian and Japanese racing jurisdictions when Damian Lane rode the race of his life to win The Arima Kinen at Nakayama on Cox Plate winner Lys Gracieux.

But the news that Japan was withdrawing its permission to bet on the big spring Cups in Victoria came out of the blue.

However Norton doesn’t expect it to impact on the relationship with Japanese officials or Japanese horses coming to Australia for major races.

“Our preference would be for what has happened not to be the case but we have a strong relationship with the JRA and we expect that to continue and we will still try to recruit horses from Japan for our carnival,” he said.

Victoria Racing Club racing manager Leigh Jordon said the news would not impact on Japanese horses coming to Australia for the spring or relationships with Japanese trainers, officials or owners.

Jordon indicated he believed Japanese had withdrawn from betting on the Cups due to the fact they are Handicaps.

“These races can still be shown on television in Japan and we understand the (betting) situation will be reviewed after three years,” Jordon said.

“It certainly won’t impact on Japanese horses coming to race here.”

Although the Melbourne and Caulfield Cups are now not on the list for betting in Japan, the Japanese Department of Agriculture and Fisheries can add races to the list at any point and they have done it before.

8 minutes ago, Nerula said:

Well the Japs stuck it up the Aussies like Aussie stuck it up NZ. They are disappointed?

They won't be running for 10k in OZ any time soon as a result of this  . A mere light jab in scheme of things .The OZ trainers will be hoping the horses give it the swerve too .

Japan are the biggest loser out of all this and Aust should stick it right up them by banning their horses from competing in Aust races. AUSTRALIAN Racing has the best prizemoney in the world by a long way. The spread of races with good stakes is exceptional. Aust Racing doesn’t need Japan. 

The worldwide focus is on Weight for Age races so it is not surprising the handicaps have been dumped.

The Japs will target those races and that includes the Cox Plate if they have a horse good enough.....like Lys Gracieux last year.

Japan is a closed shop to outside owners... well virtually. 
A bit like through the 1700 & 1800’s  
If that’s the way they want to play it, so be it.

Disclosure: I spent three weeks there in September (this year) and loved the place, the people, etc, so damned if I know, what the powers that be are thinking!

1 hour ago, Insider said:

Japan is a closed shop to outside owners... well virtually. 
A bit like through the 1700 & 1800’s  
If that’s the way they want to play it, so be it.

Disclosure: I spent three weeks there in September (this year) and loved the place, the people, etc, so damned if I know, what the powers that be are thinking!

I remember reading at the time Godolphin went there it was quite hard for them to get in . My understanding is in the main only their local Japan  trainers can run Godolphin horses in most races bar the big ones that are few in number open to outsiders .

If they want the best Japan are a big percentage of the best .Cox Plate would lose too much shine if it was closed off to Japan .I doubt much betting money comes to OZ from Dubai for the Godolphin runners  so doubt it's a real major issue .

9 hours ago, Red Rum said:

I remember reading at the time Godolphin went there it was quite hard for them to get in . My understanding is in the main only their local Japan  trainers can run Godolphin horses in most races bar the big ones that are few in number open to outsiders .

If they want the best Japan are a big percentage of the best .Cox Plate would lose too much shine if it was closed off to Japan .I doubt much betting money comes to OZ from Dubai for the Godolphin runners  so doubt it's a real major issue .

All true.