RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
eljay

Attendance at Rotorua today

tasman man - you wrong on a couple of counts - it is a Holiday!    Auckland Anniversary Weekend (but surely you know :rcf-laughing-2:)   

All roads I traversed were perfect - one little strip about 50 metres long at Mamaku that was it.

Yes, Rotorua not a a "harness area" like Tauranga wasn't, or Te Aroha, or Thames or ................  so the list goes o.

Promotion?   What's that - never saw any evidence of this.     I don't think the Cambridge club want to utilise Rotorua - that's the impression II got.

And something I thought I would never see on a racecourse - they closed a bar after race 5 .

Only 3 races sponsored by local businesses. Would be interesting to know how hard the Cambridge team worked on getting buy in from the Rotorua community. Yes, the club is very busy at this time of the year but Dave and his team are paid to do this job and they've known the race meeting programme for ages.

All of the people I spoke to had a great day and as is usual these days were inside and out of the sun. 

LJ, did you buy a beer?, bar was open all day where I was. 

There was an ad in the local Bop paper and entry was free, you'll pay if Summer festival. 

20000 people attended the One Love music festival in Tauranga, I suspect that could have been a reason for the crowd being less than expected. 

6 business sponsors by looking at the results? 

21 minutes ago, Womby said:

All of the people I spoke to had a great day and as is usual these days were inside and out of the sun. 

LJ, did you buy a beer?, bar was open all day where I was. 

There was an ad in the local Bop paper and entry was free, you'll pay if Summer festival. 

20000 people attended the One Love music festival in Tauranga, I suspect that could have been a reason for the crowd being less than expected. 

6 business sponsors by looking at the results? 

No Womby - I was driving (car not horse :rcfe-laughing:) but I did have a couple of non-a's from the bar before it closed.    That bar is usually chocka and the TAB staff in there must have been bored out of their wits.    And as hsvman says 40 minutes between races is a killer - why they must beats me.   By about the 7th or 8th race many had packed up their swags and gone home.      

On 1/27/2020 at 7:55 AM, eljay said:

tasman man - you wrong on a couple of counts - it is a Holiday!    Auckland Anniversary Weekend (but surely you know :rcf-laughing-2:)   

All roads I traversed were perfect - one little strip about 50 metres long at Mamaku that was it.

Yes, Rotorua not a a "harness area" like Tauranga wasn't, or Te Aroha, or Thames or ................  so the list goes o.

Promotion?   What's that - never saw any evidence of this.     I don't think the Cambridge club want to utilise Rotorua - that's the impression II got.

And something I thought I would never see on a racecourse - they closed a bar after race 5 .

Good on for going eljay....at the best times its close to 3 hours drive, each way , and inevitably accidents cause delays.Plus there are 20 major roadworks around Auckland City to get around before the real drive starts.

The holiday was in Auckland and thanks to rate payers like you there was a ton of things organised over the Anniversary weekend.....some cost to get in e.g. Music festivals but others were free.Many were 'family events'.Then there were the 'free' natural events like fishing ,sailing and swimming...I can tell you the beaches were packed ,and one in 3 households own a boat!

Those with money leftover or flush with back to school  commitments still had the Malls/Briscoes/Harvey Norman luring folk in.

Tauranga had stuff on as well and Hamilton had the 7's rugby.....Auckland had International cricket.

Even I could find 15 excuses not to undertake over 6 hours driving in a stuffy gas guzzling car...and I had a share in 3 horses racing !...especially after a good night at ATC Friday and a fab day at Ellerslie on Saturday.

Eljay you deserve a medal........Anniversary Day Monday would be ideal for a meeting at Avondale ,maybe a dual code day with markets open and family fun .

But already there's too much on in Auckland.

Let's ask people to drive to Rotorua ....didn't Rotorua Trots previously race on December 31st ? A week either side of New Year would make more sense !

IMO

On 1/27/2020 at 8:38 AM, Nelli said:

Only 3 races sponsored by local businesses. Would be interesting to know how hard the Cambridge team worked on getting buy in from the Rotorua community. Yes, the club is very busy at this time of the year but Dave and his team are paid to do this job and they've known the race meeting programme for ages.

Poor attendance not surprising if little marketing was done ..... clubs fault if that proves to be the case.

Let's hope the local club can get a good attendance Sunday at Otaki.     Real shame they only got the one day on the grass when in the past was the two days - but they call that progress I believe.       At least it being run by the local club who no doubt have put all their efforts in efforts in to their meeting rather than it being run from miles away by telephone.     But no doubt the suits will poke their noses in  and demand 40 minute gaps just to spoil what could be a great day.