RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Blue

Karaka

The same discussion happens each year at this stage of the sale week. This year is not much different to last year's Book 2. Average as TN says is $27,500 vs $30,000 for the whole of Book 2 last year. Clearance rate is a little down 71% vs 73% but it is day one.

As for Book 3 -- the vendors keep nominating them each year and they could withdraw them once they know they are Book 3 but most don't.

Credit to NZB, they continue to "play with" the sale format to try improve the situation for everyone --Book 3 is smaller and on Friday and not Sunday as it has been in previous years.

Quote Crustyngrizzly: 

Can anybody tell me if Cambridge Stud,Waikato Stud,Pencarrow Stud or Windsor Park have horses in book 2/3.

Nope. Haunui has 4 or 5, Highview has 4 by Wrote, Mapperly has half a dozen and Westbury around thirty. The rest from smaller breeders.

There are yearlings from those studs prepared by other farms. Kiltannon Stables appear to have prepared the Cambridge Stud book 2 horses eg. Lots 862, 908 & 972 are Tavistocks from CS mares.

Similarly Pencarrow usually do the same for Book 2 yearlings. Phoenix Park have one, lot 1045. There could be more --I know last year they seem to spread them around a bit.

14 hours ago, Breeder said:

Interesting question Blue. The other thing this year is Book 2 finishes mid day Friday, so how many buyers will hang around for the afternoon for Book 3 ?

We will find out on Friday.

Book 3 is for NZ’ers..

11 hours ago, Swoopa said:

Did anyone here run their eye over  any of Belardo's stock this week? 

Had a look at a couple of fillies. Both were tidy enough, one a taller athletic sort and the other shorter more running sort. 

I was quite taken by the 'Wrote' horses. There is one filly today who is lovely who I might get tempted to buy even though I am not meant to buy any more. 

Question time from someone pretty green about the breeding side.   How do they decide what horses go in book 1/2/3?    

I'm assuming they charge a premium to have your horse entered in book 1 versus 2 and 3?

2 hours ago, Aaron Bidlake said:

Had a look at a couple of fillies. Both were tidy enough, one a taller athletic sort and the other shorter more running sort. 

I was quite taken by the 'Wrote' horses. There is one filly today who is lovely who I might get tempted to buy even though I am not meant to buy any more. 

Nice solid family of lot 1003 Aaron:rcf-wink:

Lot 970 looked good value imo

7 minutes ago, Swoopa said:

Nice solid family of lot 1003 Aaron:rcf-wink:

Lot 970 looked good value imo

Yes it isn't too bad. She isn't a big filly but has a nice bit of length and strength about her and a lovely loose effortless walk. We couldn't get near anything else we were after apart from the other Iffraaj filly we were under bidder on. 

Personally

I thought there was great buying in K1 and K2.

Having purchased 2 Tavistock's, colt and filly.

A half bro to stable favourite First Serve

A half bro to Champion NZ 3 yr old Savvy Coup

A grouse Swiss Ace colt from good Aussie family ( We have a lot of success with Swiss Ace)

A Burgundy filly ex 3 time winning Savabeel mare

If you want to be a partner  021701205

40 minutes ago, Trump said:

If she’s a nice “type” you have a filly with a nice pedigree! Good luck with her - I hope she wins the Karaka Million for you and gives hope to all who seek a bargain! Cheers!

Her legs are straight Trump I just hope they're fast as well ! :rcf-laughing-2:  From a tough 2yo filly producing family with a good strike rate of multiple winners.
We live in hope mate! :rcfe-like:

Verdi x Tacticall.jpg

3 hours ago, Baz (NZ) said:

Her legs are straight Trump I just hope they're fast as well ! :rcf-laughing-2:  From a tough 2yo filly producing family with a good strike rate of multiple winners.
We live in hope mate! :rcfe-like:

Verdi x Tacticall.jpg

Looks like a nice strong neck and 4 black stockings!! A sure sign of a champ. Good luck to you!