RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
eljay

JCA

I note from their reports there were 3 members of the JCA panel at Marlborough.    Is this really necessary - it is a 2 day meeting and (although I don't know) I suspect they all from out of the region necessitating travel to & from, accommodation, at least 1 rental car, heaps of meals & expenses.     Surely this is overkill for a minor grass track meeting with the costs no doubt dolled out to the local club who probably struggling anyway.     Perhaps it is time for an overhaul of the system and for these smaller meetings no JCA panel required or if so just one member.   Surely the stipes can adjudicate in such matters as use of whip where rules state the penalties/fines anyway.     Costs need to be cut not increased which seems to be the present order of the day in the industry - thoughts?

For those who have not seen what might be occurring under Racing Bill before Parliament, this is from RITA

Racing Integrity Board

There has been significant discussion about the structure of New Zealand racing’s integrity functions and performance over recent years, which is unsurprising given the paramount importance in ensuring there is confidence in the integrity of racing. In undertaking a review of the structure and efficacy of the RIU and allied integrity bodies (as recommended by Mr Messara), Malcolm Burgess (who was commissioned by the Ministerial Advisory Committee (MAC)) engaged extensively with industry participants and administrators and with experts in the area of integrity - in New Zealand and Australia.

His independent report made a number of recommendations, including the establishment of a new single governance Racing Integrity Board (RIB), which will be responsible for compliance and adjudicative functions. This recommendation has been adopted in the Bill and is one which RITA supports (the combined structure is not unique in the New Zealand context). In order for the industry and punters to have confidence in the integrity of racing, independence from the industry is vital. Accordingly, in RITA’s view, an independent, streamlined model (as proposed in the Bill) can only be a good thing for racing.

HRNZ contends that there needs to be a separation between the adjudicative powers of the JCA and the functions of the RIU. As HRNZ recognises, the Bill specifically requires the new Board to ensure that the compliance and adjudicative functions are performed independent of each other and in, RITA’s view, the details of how that will be achieved is a matter for the RIB Board and not one for legislation. Further, the RIB members will be appointed by the Minister on nominations from codes and will be independent of the codes, which is an important feature of the new independent model and is a structure commonly found across a number of industries in New Zealand.

Greg

That is all fine, but the burning question here is will it reduce the number of staff & cost of the operation.   It does not (in this quote however) mention the JCA which was what my original post referred to and which so often gets confused with the RIU 

4 hours ago, eljay said:

I note from their reports there were 3 members of the JCA panel at Marlborough.    Is this really necessary - it is a 2 day meeting and (although I don't know) I suspect they all from out of the region necessitating travel to & from, accommodation, at least 1 rental car, heaps of meals & expenses.     Surely this is overkill for a minor grass track meeting with the costs no doubt dolled out to the local club who probably struggling anyway.     Perhaps it is time for an overhaul of the system and for these smaller meetings no JCA panel required or if so just one member.   Surely the stipes can adjudicate in such matters as use of whip where rules state the penalties/fines anyway.     Costs need to be cut not increased which seems to be the present order of the day in the industry - thoughts?

Write and ask them direct eljay.

The annual report is on-line. RITA gives them about $1.4 mill ,and I see in 2019 some of their expenses came in under budget [travel and accom] and others down on previous [members remuneration].

One of the Harness Board members is P.Smith who walks past your table several times every night at Trots.

He very approachable.