RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
shaneMcAlister

Dean McKenzie road show

Dean McKenzie road shows begin today and I look forward to the information it will provide and thank Dean for his time.

I urge participants to get along.  Below is a very interesting link of the letter that Peters sent to Dean re this expectations.

https://www.dia.govt.nz/diawebsite.nsf/Files/RITA-Letter-of-Expectation/$file/RITA-Letter-of-Expectation.pdf

One of the proposed sections of the bill is that the  JCA and the RIU will be run by the one board. I don't think that any of us would like the Police and the Justice department being run by one Board but that is what would happen. At least the JCA has some impact now on the RIU. It would have none under the proposal in the bill. I intend to make submissions on this in due time.

Don't have too much faith in the RITA board. The personnel does not impress me. By the way once a cop always a cop.

LLOYD JACKSON
Strong opposition to proposed legislation affecting the racing industry was aired at a feisty meeting held at Awapuni Racecourse yesterday evening.
Staged by the Racing Industry Transition Agency’s (RITA) Dean McKenzie, the meeting attracted more than 120 industry-associated people from the Wellington, Taranaki, Wanganui, Manawatu and Wairarapa districts.
Prior to the start of the meeting the writer spoke with owner-breeders Mark Verran and Charlie Rose. When asked if they thought there might be some fireworks, both replied “We certainly hope so!”
Among those in attendance were Alasdair Robertson (chief executive of Race Group, which oversees six racing clubs in the area), Bernard Hickey (NZ Thoroughbred Owners Association), trainers Jeff Lynds and Kevin Gray plus Jim Wallace (trainer and studmaster of Ardsley Stud) and Gary Thomas of Seaton Park.
McKenzie skipped any explanation of proposed Racing Bill #2 and went straight to a NZTBA Q&A session which brought about a number of questions and concerns, many of which will very likely be raised at similar meetings this week as well as at next week’s yearling sales.

Submissions to the select committee are open until February 11th.
Early questioning surrounded the proposed bill’s centralization of power with the Racing Minister and his total control of re-appointment of chairman, as well as the seven-member board. The industry codes (thoroughbred racing, harness racing and greyhounds) are displeased that none will be represented in the manner proposed and recommended in the Messara Report, which is/was supposedly the foundation of the legislation.
McKenzie’s response, that code- represented appointees had not been successful in the past, was countered with the belief that those with “skin in the game” need to be on the board rather than bureaucrat appointees.
A further question asked exactly who McKenzie was working for: “The Minister or the industry?”
Revenue, expenditure, profits, turnover and the much hoped for increase in stakes monies was intellectual property, who owned it and what was it worth?
From young Oliver Bau (17) was: “Why is the Racing Bill going to the Transport Committee and not the Primary Production Committee, which handles racing?” Oliver‘s parents are ex-jockey Trevor Bau and past Trackside presenter Donna Beck.
Often under the gun, McKenzie held his ground with his apparent support for the proposed legislation as written. Given his stance, he was understandably combative. The writer also sensed a dismissive tone.
McKenzie promised to take the concerns to the Minister but the dismissiveness prompted one comment along the lines of: “Given your support for the legislation as written compared to our virtually 100 per cent negative response to the legislation, how can we be sure that you will transmit our concerns back to the Minister?”
While conducted is a respectful manner, the meeting should have given McKenzie and the RITA a clear indication that submissions will be many and are opposed to what is a departure from the Minister’s own comments at the release of the Messara Report.

Good to see a decent turnout and a vociferous one by the sounds of things....!:rcfe-like:

Dean will know by now, if he didn’t already, that this will be no walk in the park.

After all the promise and false hope from the messara report being implemented we are now rapidly approaching a point

of the permanent demise of the racing industry certainly in the central districts and south island.

How has it come to this?

I thought dean McKenzie peter vela and Winston were on our side?

who are we fighting against? some nameless unelected bureaucrat's from department of internal affairs?

Cannot believe they seriously suggest giving all the power to the racing minister so we can get more john allens and glenda hughes types who know nothing about racing and wagering

We give away our intellectual property for free while sports keep there's?

Can anyone tell me how much rugby,basketball etc contributed to the creation of the betting platform that we bet on those sports or did racing fund the lot?

And what is the ramifications if the tab went down the line of what's happening with Victorian tab?

What about the outsourcing of the tab? Are the really going to take on the big corporates?

Dean answered a lot of these questions saying its basically the same? really ? and does that mean what passed in 2003 was right?

I cannot see any stake increases anytime soon if ever,betting levy is only filling the gap for what was borrowed!

Sooo many questions ,feel free to answer them for me!

5 minutes ago, shaneMcAlister said:

When the government done our last appointments they gave us Glenda Hughes and John Allen (a man that never walked in a TAB before he got his job and has never had any involvement in the industry before his appointment).

The government did not appoint John Allen. The RB did and that had 3 code appointed members on it. That's probably a good example of why code appointments to the board should not be persisted with. Read the RIS for a fuller rationale as to the other option being preferred. Makes a lot more sense to me.

1 minute ago, Leggy said:

The government did not appoint John Allen. The RB did and that had 3 code appointed members on it. That's probably a good example of why code appointments to the board should not be persisted with. Read the RIS for a fuller rationale as to the other option being preferred. Makes a lot more sense to me.

Thanks for clarification.   John Allen was a good example of what a govenment board would appoint us.

Bernard talking to Peter Earley on radio today going on about partnerships. joint ventures and outsourcing the TAB still and how they are going to fight hard out to get what they want.

As usual takes no account of other codes and sports and makes a lot of unsubstantiated conclusions.

The whole process is rushed with no real cost analysis or projections.

Best we keep the faith and trust in the Minister and appointees to get it right.

2 hours ago, Leggy said:

"RIS"? What is this Leggy?

LJohn Messara should be approached for his comments on the proposed legislation as it appears to completely ignore his report recommendations. As he completed his work without charge and Minister Peters endorsed Messara’s findings for implementation at the Claudelands report release John deserves an explanation from our Racing Minister

My thoughts are that DIA boffins and their proxies have drafted this bill without any reference to the Messara Report in completing their work and that Cabinet predominantly Labour have approved this draft bill. Prime Minister Arden should be requested to comment on the unexplained variations from the bill and the Messara Report findings 

8 minutes ago, WOODBINE said:

LJohn Messara should be approached for his comments on the proposed legislation as it appears to completely ignore his report recommendations. As he completed his work without charge and Minister Peters endorsed Messara’s findings for implementation at the Claudelands report release John deserves an explanation from our Racing Minister

My thoughts are that DIA boffins and their proxies have drafted this bill without any reference to the Messara Report in completing their work and that Cabinet predominantly Labour have approved this draft bill. Prime Minister Arden should be requested to comment on the unexplained variations from the bill and the Messara Report findings 

See the above DIA impact statement. Of course the Messara report is a key reference.

1 hour ago, Baz (NZ) said:

I heard we could be racing for stakes of $5000 within 2 years? :rcf-shocked-5::rcf-monkey:

Look on brightside,  5k will be less incentive for some of these jocks to get into a whip frenzy .

5k if it comes to that will mean  it will be over , simple economics will kill game here . A bit of flapping Irish style that's all that might be left after few years  if that's the case .That's  if there's enough die hards still about and authorities don't get wind of it .

It's all a bloody mess. I don't have the answer, but I think the dangerous ones are those who do think they have the answer. 

I'm not really impressed with any of the suggested reforms I have seen so far, and I do worry for those who think all will come right once the proposed reforms are implemented.

It looks to me like everything is being run by Winston and a few no-names in his racing department.

Having Racing run by those intimately involved in the game didn't work. Having it run by those with absolutely no knowledge of or interest in the industry was even a bigger disaster.

Where to next?

I do think a lack of leadership since the early 90s has led to this situation, and I just don't see a white knight on the horizon at the moment.

I’m a slow learner so perhaps a few of the more intelligent Cafers might be able to enlighten me. The term “Roadshow” is now a regular theme when it comes to NZ racing. John Allen was a “Roadshow” man. Apparently, it’s a term used when someone rocks up to a venue, say Awapuni, and has a talk Fest with 15 or 20 tea drinkers, enlightening those gathered on progress with reform in the Racing Industry. Is that correct? My attendance numbers might be wrong and maybe a few more could be added. But what’s the point of them? What has been achieved by them that could not be more widely reported by way of press releases via social media and have far more reach? If POTUS (Donald Trump) can talk policy, achievement, comment etc via social media, for all the world to see, why can’t NZTR? Perhaps Racecafe could open a special Forum for “exclusive” use by NZTR (Call it NZTR PROGRESS REPORTS) and let them post for all to see and read - on a weekly basis. This would not only cut back expense but would have a wider reach within the Industry and enable ALL racing people to have instant info at their fingertips - via their iphones, pads etc. It would also be open and transparent. Just a thought. 

5 minutes ago, Trump said:

I’m a slow learner so perhaps a few of the more intelligent Cafers might be able to enlighten me. The term “Roadshow” is now a regular theme when it comes to NZ racing. John Allen was a “Roadshow” man. Apparently, it’s a term used when someone rocks up to a venue, say Awapuni, and has a talk Fest with 15 or 20 tea drinkers, enlightening those gathered on progress with reform in the Racing Industry. Is that correct? My attendance numbers might be wrong and maybe a few more could be added. But what’s the point of them? What has been achieved by them that could not be more widely reported by way of press releases via social media and have far more reach? If POTUS (Donald Trump) can talk policy, achievement, comment etc via social media, for all the world to see, why can’t NZTR? Perhaps Racecafe could open a special Forum for “exclusive” use by NZTR (Call it NZTR PROGRESS REPORTS) and let them post for all to see and read - on a weekly basis. This would not only cut back expense but would have a wider reach within the Industry and enable ALL racing people to have instant info at their fingertips - via their iphones, pads etc. It would also be open and transparent. Just a thought. 

Dean at least had 120 or so at that meeting so it would have been vocal knowing some of those present Trumpy....but get your gist....:rcf-wink: