RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
JJ Flash

Hows this for Soundness

Just watched a race from Northfields Park in the states. A horse by the name of "Its a Good thing" had its 351st start. All over 1609 and has won 71 times and placed 88 times. Earnings are over 1 Mio Ozzie

Thats some effort by both the horse and its connections

Greg

Good plan.harder here. I have romanite has only won cheap amateur races in the last 4 years and rated close to the oaks winner.only an idiot like me would  keep him going.no claiming concessions.true rating prob 48.hasnt won a race over 8k. That's why there is no longevity we have a terrible handicapping that disincentives owners to race horses.every week  another trainer hits  me up.if the suits came down to ground level and walked through th he stables on race night they might  understand. Widespread discontent amongstnorthern trainers. But hey if the suits are okay why worry.

I would like to see HRNZ survey owners that sold/ retired horses last year as to the reasons they did so. I'm sure they can access the names of the contact owners and organise it so responses are anonymous. Such a survey may put proof in front of decision makers as to where to target their efforts to retain racing stock. Sure some horses go unsound, owners want to breed from a mare while still relatively young or the money is just too good to refuse.  But how many of us who pay real money to trainers have sold/retired our horse because it is rated uncompetitively and we can't afford to keep on racing it?  The curse of repeatedly running 4th or 5th with no rating change is soul destroying. With sadness we sold our good horse after a whole year with just a single 3rd placing. He still has plenty of racing in him as since sold has had Group placings and Group 3 win in Aussie in the last couple of months. We would have liked to race him till his teens ourselves but he just wasn't paying his way.

2 hours ago, Nelli said:

I would like to see HRNZ survey owners that sold/ retired horses last year as to the reasons they did so. I'm sure they can access the names of the contact owners and organise it so responses are anonymous. Such a survey may put proof in front of decision makers as to where to target their efforts to retain racing stock. Sure some horses go unsound, owners want to breed from a mare while still relatively young or the money is just too good to refuse.  But how many of us who pay real money to trainers have sold/retired our horse because it is rated uncompetitively and we can't afford to keep on racing it?  The curse of repeatedly running 4th or 5th with no rating change is soul destroying. With sadness we sold our good horse after a whole year with just a single 3rd placing. He still has plenty of racing in him as since sold has had Group placings and Group 3 win in Aussie in the last couple of months. We would have liked to race him till his teens ourselves but he just wasn't paying his way.

Excellent post Nelli.   I have said before, there should be some way of accessing where a horse is competitive and letting them stay in that grade.

Sure if  they start winning all the time then they would have to go up in class, but that would be a way of keeping more horses racing here.

I can tell u. Only one  of mine retired injured.some sold uncompetitive and others retired sound but not competitive.lamour claimers say 5k up to 50 7500 to 55. I have tried no no no no is always the answer.i will give the suits a share for nothing in an 8 race winner if they are willing to  race for a year From a stable of their choosing.c how they like paying  paying paying .

Maybe every 4 months those middle performing horses start with a Rating 50. Have two categories 2-5 life-time wins and 6-9 wins.  Maidens race against maidens and 1 win horses race against 1 life-time winners. 10 win plus winners start at 70 (or any reasonable stating point in ratings. Prize money would go up through the categories.  Somehow fit Classic wins/results into it (1-1/2 or double points perhaps)

I would like to see more variation in race conditions. Eg at Auckland you have the same fairly small group of trotters racing each other week after week.  What about one week having the draws on money won in last 10 starts, the next preferential on ratings and the following have f&m and c&g hcp races.  Then the horse that's just had its first win won't always be crucified, and the higher rated but out of form horse gets the occasional good draw. It would add more interest too.