RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
High Sparrow

The ride of the day at Trentham

13 hours ago, Pam Robson said:

I took little notice of C.R at his former trainers - but yes, the combination has been successful before in the same fashion.   C.W is a master at judging pace,  and has been for years.

Rode quite a few gallops with CWJ. Used to just look over and ask him how fast we were going? Ezy pzy.

6 minutes ago, TurnyTom said:

NZ's Champion hoop best of the best, God knows what happens to SI racing when he retires

Rides Trentham and Awapuni so well

Just gifted with large loads of hard work and you have a horse on Monday they are all looked after 

Very much like Richie McCaw continuing to play rugger for North Otago. Must be the most under-rated sportsman going around in NZ. I do hope there is the equivalent of a testimonial match for CWJ when he decides to retire. I would hate him to go out quietly. He deserves to be celebrated, and it would be a disgrace if the industry doesn't recognise him. Sir Christopher?

14 hours ago, Nerula said:

I was there Hauby said. 'came around the corner like a motor bike'. best railer I ever saw1

Way back then the Daily Double was worth good money invariably. i would take 1 horse with the field 5 shillings. i got Climbing - Mattiwilda at Avondale' quarter of 678 quid in etched in my mind.

Sure going back a bit Nerula. Mattiwilda was trained by Jim Ingram wasn't she? Craddock was a pretty handy front runner in the mus back then. Also Gay Parade.

8 hours ago, boatey said:

Was Oranmore the horse that went to Australia and came back with her tail hair falling out and something wrong with the hooves?

Yes,  came back from  the dead to win at Ellerslie I think it was.    One of those horses you couldn't help feeling affection towards,  such a game little horse and him  and Shiffnel Chief had so many great battles at Avondale under big weights.

Love Racing web-site says; Camino Rocoso ran 2,100 metres in 2:09.05 on a Good 3 track at Trentham. Previous start, he ran 1,975 metres in 1:59.49 at Waikouaiti, on Dead 5 track.

Converting both races to 2,000 m. gives 2:03.05 and 2:00.99 respectively. The Trentham time is not exceptional but the Waikouaiti time is suspect, either to timing or distance.

Regardless, it was good to see a horse winning by just running faster for longer than all the others, like Hero and Kotare Chief. Did Varnamo break 2 mintes for 2,000 m./10 furlongs, years ago?

Like the reefton 2000m times over the years, make interesting reading, but have been assured the start is in the correct position,  phar lap fan maybe you know the track record and who holds it for the 2100m distance on your course, have tried to find out to no avail, whats  the future for your course.

On 1/12/2020 at 8:08 PM, gubellini said:

High Sparrow Whiti Te Ra hung on to win the 1968 NZ St Leger by 0.75 of a length from Impetus and Grenville Hughes. He was the rank outsider in the five horse field and paid $41.90 and $7.60.

Hey thanks for filling out the detail for me Gubellini. It was a great day on one count but not so great on another. My hand and fingers hurt for days. "Dormo" (Brother Dermott's nickname, I wrongly added the Mc in my earlier post) wasn't a bad sort but we're still waiting to get that transistor back! My share of the winnings took me to the 'flicks' at the Regent Theatre in Naenae for a long time afterwards.

On 1/14/2020 at 6:26 PM, gubellini said:

Nerula that Climbing/ Mattiwilda double was at Avondale on the 31/3/62. It paid £520/2/6. Harry Long trained Climbing and Jim Ingram trained Mattiwilda.

Thanks Gubes. Climbing was a Resurgent. an in and out type. Mattiwilda was a real outsider. Other first leg horses i collected doubles with. Gay Parade, Beau Way and of course Nerula. A poor apprentice boy bought a new Triumph Herald in 'late 62 for 912 quid from doubles.

Lost 200 quid the next year following them. Then they stuffed doubles with take out and splitting

For about twenty years the double was THE BET.  Then it was stuffed as the take out was increased and concession doubles introduced.

At one time the minimum doubles bet was 10 shillings on course but you could take a straight two horse 5 shillings double at the TAB.  Until information technology advancements came along the on course tote could only accept exchange doubles.  That is, if you picked the winner of the first leg you had to exchange your ticket for a couple up in the second leg.  Usually the first and second legs were the 4th and 7th races, to give plenty of time, what with an enquiry or whatever, one had time to do the exchange.  Tote staff monitored how many successful first leg tickets were not exchanged for the second leg.

At that time the take out on win, place and doubles was 17.32%.  Then they increased the take out on exotic bets such as doubles.  As tote machinery advanced and quinellas were introduced the take out on quinellas was higher than win and place.  Quinella machinery also enabled the tote to run straight doubles on each division of a two division race.  Trifecta machinery was still some years down the track at that stage.

As your eyes are now glazing over with this historical treatise, consider the effects of inflation.  In 1967 the minimum bet was $1 which is about $17 adjusted for inflation in 2020 dollars.  I recall, at age about 13, organising a syndicate whereby some kids put in a bob and some two bob and a mate's oldest brother put the ten shillings on for us; the betting age, like the voting age, was 21 at the time.  There must have been a lot of pennies and three penny pieces involved in the syndicate payout as it was a favourite and won!  

3 minutes ago, Tauhei Notts said:

As your eyes are now glazing over with this historical treatise, consider the effects of inflation.  In 1967 the minimum bet was $1 which is about $17 adjusted for inflation in 2020 dollars.  I recall, at age about 13, organising a syndicate whereby some kids put in a bob and some two bob and a mate's oldest brother put the ten shillings on for us; the betting age, like the voting age, was 21 at the time.  There must have been a lot of pennies and three penny pieces involved in the syndicate payout as it was a favourite and won!  

You make a very good point. I started out betting dollar units in the 70s and steadily moved upwards. Many people these days are still betting dollar units. On another thread someone mentioned wanting percentage quinellas as $1 units are too much. And people wonder why the industry is struggling.

If Sam Weatherly is going to clean up tomorrow at Trentham he needs to just relax. He has the rides but needs to disassociate, less is more. He keeps his cool he is a shoe in . Uneasy is very good in this race , but gets it wrong when he sends his horses  over the ditch. He wins the Telegraph again tomorrow :rcfe-like:

What about the rest of his rides that day ?  Or don't those count ?

The worst was the last, when he gave up halfway down the straight, not realizing the horse (Powerball) was still pumping till it got a bit clear air. Hard to know what miss Lockett and the owners thought about a cert at $30 + winner going south.  

On 1/17/2020 at 11:01 AM, We're Doomed said:

You make a very good point. I started out betting dollar units in the 70s and steadily moved upwards. Many people these days are still betting dollar units. On another thread someone mentioned wanting percentage quinellas as $1 units are too much. And people wonder why the industry is struggling.

Yeah, that was my post. The point of it was, how come you can bet in more interesting and varied ways in Australia, than here? 

No Duet, no exacta, no percentage quinella. 

It's not that $1 is too much, but if I'm boxing 5 that's $10 etc, which is probably too much for your low ball punter. They might attract more business with a wider range of products. 

I think you are right HD if you are trying to reinvent racing as fun for the general population then we should be working from the bottom up, the newby's might only start with the odd small bet but if it is fun they are hooked and all of a sudden you have the crowds coming back and it all grows from there.

I remember my introduction I was earning four pounds weekly and an old geezer I worked with was perusing his best bets and showed me the fields of a cd meeting and the double he was going to take. He suggested I have a go and I picked one in each leg. He was betting in pounds but I gave him 10 bob for my double. Unfortunately it won and paid $57. I am still going today with hugely reduced strike rate