RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
High Sparrow

The ride of the day at Trentham

Chris Johnson's daring ride on Camino Rocoso takes the biscuit as the best ride yesterday for me. The horse was pulling from barrier rise and the Magic Man sure had a handful of horse before electing to take up the running and make his own rules. It was a masterful ride because settling a horse sufficiently to get that pace judgement just right in those circumstances is an art form. How many times do you see a rider fighting the horse and the horse has run its race before the turn? Johnson's magic was evident yesterday in that he acted boldly, controlled the pace to his own tempo, gave the horse a wee rest across  the top and let the others work to start bridging the gap before having a couple of sneaky peeks between his legs and then nursing the gelding away when the others had their bats out. Then in typical Magic Man fashion he only asked the horse for his best when the post was in sight. Brilliant ride. I doubt that horse would have won for anyone else. He is such a balanced rider and so kind to horses that they respond for him. You never see Chris knocking horses about and good on him for that because he understands the old racing adage: "If you are kind to horses they will be kind to you."  A wonderful training effort by the Parsons too and credit where credit is due there for another successful southern raid at the champagne turf though I thought Karen was a bit on the defensive side in the post-race interview when she said: "When we come up here you always rubbish us".  I think most in the racing game realise what fine trainers they are, so I'm not sure who she was referring to there but someone had obviously put a bee in her bonnet. Anyway, full credit to all involved. The tactics reminded me a little of Whiti Te Ra's win in the St Leger about 50 years ago when John Harris sent him out to a 25 length lead, allowed the field to get up to him on the turn and then kicked clear again. Another great ride. As classmates at college, Robert Dunn (harness racing trainer), Keiron McCauley (Ashburton galloping trainer) and the late Steve Edwards  (Turf Digest) and I had pooled our resources to have a small bet on Whiti Te Ra and Keiron was listening to the race on a transistor with an earpiece in Science class. He was giving us whispered updates every furlong and when White Te Ra won he forgot where he was, leapt to his feet and said "White Te Ra just won the St Leger!"  The game was up. Brother McDermott, the Science teacher, confiscated the transistor and we all got six with the cane as a result. It was worth it - the horse returned big odds.

3 hours ago, High Sparrow said:

The game was up. Brother McDermott, the Science teacher, confiscated the transistor and we all got six with the cane as a result. It was worth it - the horse returned big odds.

Brother McDermott probably gave you 6 because he backed a loser! :D

12 hours ago, arjay said:

So where is the surprise in this, horse and rider have combined twice in last 4 starts with exact same tactics.  I don't recall the horse pulling so much when with  Baker- Forsman??

I took little notice of C.R at his former trainers - but yes, the combination has been successful before in the same fashion.   C.W is a master at judging pace,  and has been for years.

14 hours ago, arjay said:

So where is the surprise in this, horse and rider have combined twice in last 4 starts with exact same tactics.  I don't recall the horse pulling so much when with  Baker- Forsman??

Looking back through his form, he's had a history of racing ungenerously, so it's interesting that they've given up trying to settle him and let him have his head - I've got one with a similar story, who has shown glimpses of something good, but we've never been able to get him to settle. This autumn campaign we've decided to let him do his own thing.

I love a good front-runner - Vo Rogue, Might and Power, Sunline, St Reims, Simboli Rudolf's Japan Cup, Secretariat's Belmont Stakes, and way back, Our Boyfriend, and of course Kotare Chief

5 hours ago, We're Doomed said:

I can recall CWJ winning the Oaks on Domino with a similar front fronting ride; may not have opened up such a big lead, but controlled the race from the front the whole way.

Hero - out of Domino - is the first horse that comes to mind when I think of frontrunners from when I was a kid.

Wasn't Oranmore something else ?  As a schoolboy got a double on Jan's Beau in Avondale Cup at $ 30 with Oranmore in Conchord at about $ 5.  Would have been big bucks for a a school kid. Jan's Beau hared off in front and eventually finished 3rd to Paul DeBrett . A French jockey Phillipe someone ? rode Oranmore who the jockey remarked " cornered like a little rabbit "  hugged the rail and bolted in. Two great front runners on same day. Oh for more horses like those two these days.

I was there Hauby said. 'came around the corner like a motor bike'. best railer I ever saw1

Way back then the Daily Double was worth good money invariably. i would take 1 horse with the field 5 shillings. i got Climbing - Mattiwilda at Avondale' quarter of 678 quid in etched in my mind.

24 minutes ago, Mr Spyro said:

Wasn't Oranmore something else ?  As a schoolboy got a double on Jan's Beau in Avondale Cup at $ 30 with Oranmore in Conchord at about $ 5.  Would have been big bucks for a a school kid. Jan's Beau hared off in front and eventually finished 3rd to Paul DeBrett . A French jockey Phillipe someone ? rode Oranmore who the jockey remarked " cornered like a little rabbit "  hugged the rail and bolted in. Two great front runners on same day. Oh for more horses like those two these days.

Hell,  yeah.    And Avondale was the place to be...oh,  how times change.

11 minutes ago, Nerula said:

Was it Ken Regget rode Oranmore. Horse came from Paeroa I think. Gubes would know!

Or Tony Williams  ?   The reason a French jockey rode  Oranmore  in   Avondale race was it was invitation rider's event. Trained by Joe Doran I think.

Oranmore was a remarkable sprinter winning 26 races of which 3 were in Australia- June Stakes, Pacesetter Stakes and Homestead Handicap. Initially trained at Paeroa by Les Jarvis then by owner Joe Doran at the same track.

NZ record

2yo 4 wins Kevin Cullen 3 Graham McLiesh 1.

3yo 7 wins Tony Williams 4, Ken Reggett,Ken Mathews and JM Jones one each. 

4yo 6 wins John Dooley 3 Tony Williams, Ken Mathews and P Paquet France one each,

5yo 1 win a dead heat with Rising Damp ridden by BA Doyle.

6yo 2 wins Toby Autridge and Cherie Saxon. 

7yo 1 win G McGrath

8yo 2 wins Ken Reggett and Debbie Stockwell. 

Remarkably 13 different jockeys won on him in NZ!