RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
We're Doomed

Splitting Races

Not a bad crowd on course yesterday . Nice relaxed day at races , kids having fun in perfect weather . All ended too soon , 8 would surely have been fine .

Massive credit must go to Reefton and Omoto . 33 races I think in total. Winners from inside , outside , on lead , from back all over the show . They ran 25 races at Omoto in that 10 day window , twice down straight in majority of races but it looked to have held up well. Iam a long way from vet but I couldn't see any horses that appeared sore for the couple meeting I was at , nothing noted in stipes reps  so that leads me to believe the grounds person on both tracks did a great job .

Well done on great circuit . As for the Clotworthy and Myers stables simply outstanding .

47 minutes ago, Red Rum said:

Not a bad crowd on course yesterday . Nice relaxed day at races , kids having fun in perfect weather . All ended too soon , 8 would surely have been fine .

Massive credit must go to Reefton and Omoto . 33 races I think in total. Winners from inside , outside , on lead , from back all over the show . They ran 25 races at Omoto in that 10 day window , twice down straight in majority of races but it looked to have held up well. Iam a long way from vet but I couldn't see any horses that appeared sore for the couple meeting I was at , nothing noted in stipes reps  so that leads me to believe the grounds person on both tracks did a great job .

Well done on great circuit . As for the Clotworthy and Myers stables simply outstanding .

From the races I watched the track at Omoto looked to be in great order. It actually looked miles better than some of the metropolitan tracks we see on Saturdays.

1 hour ago, We're Doomed said:

From the races I watched the track at Omoto looked to be in great order. It actually looked miles better than some of the metropolitan tracks we see on Saturdays.

I think all things being equal Coast should get four meetings next year . Facilities at Omoto clean , bogs outstandingly clean even has fully functioning locks unlike Black Caviar day at Royal Ascot  which did not have such functioning locking bog systems as one of my mates keeps reminding me  .To be fair it had some different food options as well even for one of lads all into being at peak fitness at all times . 

14 hours ago, We're Doomed said:

Confirmed by  trainers,  the track was outstanding.   The weather helped of course, if it had been wet for the other two days things may have been different,  but it does drain very well for all that.

I recall once, when the Grey River came up and the place flooded badly - water was over the top of the fences and rails, and through the jockeys' room [ which is a level above the ground floor ]   I went, along with the friends with whom I was staying, the next day to help clean up.  The water had receded, but there was driftwood and rubbish lying on the track, dead frogs in the tearooms....they raced the next day and the track record was equalled.

I notice at Wingatui this Thursday they may split the maiden mile with 30 noms, but no intention of splitting the maiden stayers with 24 noms. Pretty hard to get a start for a maiden stayer in the South. Is it any wonder the higher grade staying races sometimes have small fields.

It makes an interesting comparison with Tauranga last Friday where 4 horses went around for $22,500. Perhaps that was because one of the favs for the Karaka thing needed to win some stakes money.  Poor Mr Pitman had to start his 2yo against older horses to get into the Karaka race. I bet he would have loved a 4 horse 2yo race.

I heard a trainer at Gore on Saturday comment that her horse missed a race at Omakau because they deleted the race. She should move to the Waikato, they are happy to run races for 4 horses up there.

I notice 16 of the ballots at Wingatui today failed to gain entry into the fields. In fact only 3 ballots gained a start. Add this to those already eliminated.  About 50 of the acceptors had to travel all the way from Canterbury as they have no opportunities locally. Five hours to travel to race for $10,000. Interesting to see a maiden stayer having to race in the open race at Riccarton on Saturday as there are no other opportunities. Helps to fill up what would otherwise have been a six horse race. One maiden race in the greater Canterbury area in a seven week period; quite bizarre.. 

Contrast this with the four feature meetings this weekend at Riccarton, Ellerslie, Te Aroha and Trentham, which have 12 races between them with 8 or fewer starters. One $100,000 race at Ellerslie with six starters.

This all indicates to me that the thoroughbred industry in particular is appallingly badly run. And shutting down some minor tracks won't do anything to fix this problem. And I can't see anything rita is doing that will fix anything. Why can rita not send a "please explain" message to NZTR?