RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Patiti

AWT Cambridge

22 minutes ago, Pam Robson said:

Of course they are.   Salt water doesn't freeze in a frost.....and there isn't a hard base for the water to collect on,  and drains to block.  Oh,  and God grooms it,  twice a day.

No corners either so easy on joints and bones and you can choose the degree of firmness or softness that you want to work on and cool the limbs off immediately afterwards.

So just get the facts right...

If its an all weather ace track, do you limit  the number of runners to less than 24? If you have the ultimate racecourse for the nest 20 years  do you have a straight of less than 800m? What is the track type that has been proven to be the best for our horses?  Where is the data presented in such a form that the consensus agrees that the proposed development is the best? It's time we do not do things behind closed doors where the decision making is done behind closed doors.... Let's just get real,....

1 hour ago, Kingshill said:

Anyone know what happened at Toowoomba? Have been to race meetings there on and off for 15 odd years when visiting family..... The AW track wasn't in place for long.... 2 seasons max maybe.... 

Well, the Trainers, led by Toowoomba training legend Jim Atkins, were vehemently opposed to putting in a AWST. They didn’t support it due to concern about horse welfare, were ignored, the punters deserted it and within a few years (2 or 3) it was ripped out. 

5 hours ago, Trump said:

Well, the Trainers, led by Toowoomba training legend Jim Atkins, were vehemently opposed to putting in a AWST. They didn’t support it due to concern about horse welfare, were ignored, the punters deserted it and within a few years (2 or 3) it was ripped out. 

That was also another polytrack I think? Presumably Cambridge and NZTR will have also had a chat to them as part of their due diligence.

4 minutes ago, TurnyTom said:

Listen to Trumpy Cambridge will be another disaster

Many on here seem to want it to fail , and I doubt Toowoomba is a great example.

Unsure ,but I assume Toowoomba is somewhere in Australia which currently is burning to the ground .

Heaven forbid when their people are forced to immigrate to NZ ,cos thats what will happen.

Temperatures are surging ,and their politicians are never the brightest .

Sure they are big and used to have the minerals every one wanted but its getting like the sahara...people know where it is but few want to go there.

It had the money and attracted the best Kiwi talent so we can just take that back...eg in racing JMcD , MWalker, Cassidy , Dee ,Brent Thompson , Waller ,Sergeant ,Baker, Moroney the list goes on .

And their business nous is seriously lacking  hence the polytrack was simply inappropriate for the harsh climate.....gluey in summer and concrete hard in summer , trainers hated it plus they CHEATED when they laid it .

Of course Aussies cheat and take shortcuts........got the layering system wrong and cheated on the draining ! Kiwi know how won't make those basic stuff ups.

NZ's polytrack has been well researched , due diligence done and importantly the trainers [NZ's top training centre in skill and numbers] think its great and are very ,very supportive of it.

Critics on here are getting hung up on the suggestion that it MAY be used for a tote meeting......ie a minor industry day to avoid cancellation...this is sizzle.

This 'possibility' adds to the uncomfortable possibility that some tracks will close.

The current calendar clearly shows this needs to happen...with horse numbers in decline , and costs escalating and many facilities disrepair this needs to be expedited.Current meetings are getting nominations of 6 and 7 for many races.And owners can't wait sell or if their horse has ability head to Australia . The loyal ones are OK with racing 5 x other horses in our Group ones !

Not too many really want to keep racing for $10k stakes.......especially if you pay nomination fees , riding fees and transport charges alone of up to $600 for the privilege.

I hope the polytrack at Cambridge ,made with kiwi expertise in our clean cool climate will be used for racedays.....save the travel and less tracks & meetings will mean higher stakes !

Now one cynic Berri who seems a sensible 'ideas' man , keeps pushing for field size of 24 horses, haha......who would ride them ? I doubt we have 24 jockeys and 5 of them over 53 !

Bring it on ....on Saturday on a group one day there was no one on the Trentham grass  looking at the horses while those in the TAB's or at home were betting at Glen Innis [WTF is that?]  , Colac ,KemblaGrange and some Aussie outback trots and 2x USA gallops on mud tracks and 2x USA trot meetings in the snow !

Cambridge recently voted NZ's top town .......a centre for NZ sporting excellence......I look forward to a cute polytrack ,a mould of dirt for viewing and a Lockwood building for administration.

Should be good.........think positive , this is leadership from Petone !

57 minutes ago, tasman man 11 said:

Many on here seem to want it to fail , and I doubt Toowoomba is a great example.

Unsure ,but I assume Toowoomba is somewhere in Australia which currently is burning to the ground .

Heaven forbid when their people are forced to immigrate to NZ ,cos thats what will happen.

Temperatures are surging ,and their politicians are never the brightest .

Sure they are big and used to have the minerals every one wanted but its getting like the sahara...people know where it is but few want to go there.

It had the money and attracted the best Kiwi talent so we can just take that back...eg in racing JMcD , MWalker, Cassidy , Dee ,Brent Thompson , Waller ,Sergeant ,Baker, Moroney the list goes on .

And their business nous is seriously lacking  hence the polytrack was simply inappropriate for the harsh climate.....gluey in summer and concrete hard in summer , trainers hated it plus they CHEATED when they laid it .

Of course Aussies cheat and take shortcuts........got the layering system wrong and cheated on the draining ! Kiwi know how won't make those basic stuff ups.

NZ's polytrack has been well researched , due diligence done and importantly the trainers [NZ's top training centre in skill and numbers] think its great and are very ,very supportive of it.

Critics on here are getting hung up on the suggestion that it MAY be used for a tote meeting......ie a minor industry day to avoid cancellation...this is sizzle.

This 'possibility' adds to the uncomfortable possibility that some tracks will close.

The current calendar clearly shows this needs to happen...with horse numbers in decline , and costs escalating and many facilities disrepair this needs to be expedited.Current meetings are getting nominations of 6 and 7 for many races.And owners can't wait sell or if their horse has ability head to Australia . The loyal ones are OK with racing 5 x other horses in our Group ones !

Not too many really want to keep racing for $10k stakes.......especially if you pay nomination fees , riding fees and transport charges alone of up to $600 for the privilege.

I hope the polytrack at Cambridge ,made with kiwi expertise in our clean cool climate will be used for racedays.....save the travel and less tracks & meetings will mean higher stakes !

Now one cynic Berri who seems a sensible 'ideas' man , keeps pushing for field size of 24 horses, haha......who would ride them ? I doubt we have 24 jockeys and 5 of them over 53 !

Bring it on ....on Saturday on a group one day there was no one on the Trentham grass  looking at the horses while those in the TAB's or at home were betting at Glen Innis [WTF is that?]  , Colac ,KemblaGrange and some Aussie outback trots and 2x USA gallops on mud tracks and 2x USA trot meetings in the snow !

Cambridge recently voted NZ's top town .......a centre for NZ sporting excellence......I look forward to a cute polytrack ,a mould of dirt for viewing and a Lockwood building for administration.

Should be good.........think positive , this is leadership from Petone !

Seriously, I think there might be treatment available for you. Whatever form it takes, shock treatment, a weekend in Toowoomba talking to real people...It will help you. 

the new track will indeed help trainers get horses going in the winter, it don't matter if used for racing on at all, just the pleasure to have a decent track will suffice. Will it be busy, yes I think so, crowded, possibly, some restrictions, maybe. Needed, for sure.

9 hours ago, Trump said:

Seriously, I think there might be treatment available for you. Whatever form it takes, shock treatment, a weekend in Toowoomba talking to real people...It will help you. 

Haha......I'm honoured you read it......I thought it might flush out the odd Aussie sledger.

Real people ??? You mean the 'black tie ' folk that frequent expensive golf clubs and drive the latest Mercedes !

Me and my 1999 Honda Logo !

To paraphrase you.....when folk turn to personal abuse ,you know your opinion has merit !

:rcfe-like:

9 hours ago, tasman man 11 said:

Haha......I'm honoured you read it......I thought it might flush out the odd Aussie sledger.

Real people ??? You mean the 'black tie ' folk that frequent expensive golf clubs and drive the latest Mercedes !

Me and my 1999 Honda Logo !

To paraphrase you.....when folk turn to personal abuse ,you know your opinion has merit !

:rcfe-like:

You don’t know where Toowoomba is? You should visit it sometime. But you’d be out of step there - salt of the earth on the Downs. :) 

Quote: TASMAN MAN 11

"Now one cynic Berri who seems a sensible 'ideas' man , keeps pushing for field size of 24 horses, haha......who would ride them ? I doubt we have 24 jockeys and 5 of them over 53 !"

All I can say on this matter is that we are meant to be looking towards the future and not the now. I personally don't think all weather racing is entertainment and the concept that an all weather track will change the number of race meetings being cancelled is inaccurate. But if we are going to build one, what should it be able to cater for? We know that IF you are able to get more runners in a race, then betting improves due to the increased runner numbers. We also know that horses should not be accelerating around bends for animal welfare reasons (and this will get worse over time) and we can't afford to have horses falling in races anymore. We also know that punters will bet more when they're confident that every runner has an equal chance of winning.

So what sensible logic does that tell us?, Make a track that has a 800m straight and can take 24 runners. As for trying to find 24 horses and jockeys for a race at the same time, I riddle you this. IF there was a 3200m race on an all weather track, which had a $5m stake, how many runners would we get and how many jockeys would want to ride in it? The next question would be how much international betting revenue could we generate IF we got our currently atrocious Racing Bill in ship shape that would allow us to freely, without political interference, market and distribute a product suite (augmented real time racing graphics and the like with new betting products) where every betting service provider was an affiliate distributor of all that is this event?

So now go back to what this all weather track should be. We're building it with tax payer and racing money. We're saying it's a training centre first, followed by trials  venue and then maybe a racing venue. So IF we're to build it, why limit its potential use because of the now? If that happens then we will always remain in the now.

The AWT racetrack you desire can/will form part of a Greenfields site, but that is looking an 8-10 year project.

In the mean time Cambridge is the biggest training centre in Australasia. When training is compromised by bad weather there is an immediate flow-on, and lag, effect to field sizes.

Al Bahathri gallop in Newmarket is polytrack , calculate the amount of horses sent up that each morning , the value of them and the big owners who own them , it must mean it is a decent surface if laid correctly, well maintained and a budget is allowed for a relay in 10 or so years .Curragh has one poly and two fibresand as well as peat , woodchip and turf gallops .

I was sure originally it was three AWT for Racemeetings,  seems to be now solely simply an all weather gallop .

16 hours ago, berzerk said:

The AWT racetrack you desire can/will form part of a Greenfields site, but that is looking an 8-10 year project.

In the mean time Cambridge is the biggest training centre in Australasia. When training is compromised by bad weather there is an immediate flow-on, and lag, effect to field sizes.

The biggest training centre in Australasia? How do you measure that? By the number of horses in training there? Where did you get your figures from? Also, how many horses would there be “In Work” at any one time? 

6 hours ago, Trump said:

The biggest training centre in Australasia? How do you measure that? By the number of horses in training there? Where did you get your figures from? Also, how many horses would there be “In Work” at any one time? 

I think I saw it variously reported between 1000 and 1200 Trump. Is that correct?

22 minutes ago, Leggy said:

I think I saw it variously reported between 1000 and 1200 Trump. Is that correct?

I don’t know - that’s why I asked. That seems a big number. It has to be “at any one time” and not over a year surely? I mean, for example, someone like James Cummings and Godolphin would have (I think) 500 horses on their books during a year. That’s on their own. I was at a lunch last year and on my table we had JC and the Godolphin CEO and I’m sure when asked he mentioned the number 500. Also, Chris Waller on his own would be up there. To have 1000/1200 at Cambridge seems a lot at any one time? Perhaps Woodsie may have some idea? Right now, today, how many horses in work at CAMBRIDGE?

44 minutes ago, Trump said:

I don’t know - that’s why I asked. That seems a big number. It has to be “at any one time” and not over a year surely? I mean, for example, someone like James Cummings and Godolphin would have (I think) 500 horses on their books during a year. That’s on their own. I was at a lunch last year and on my table we had JC and the Godolphin CEO and I’m sure when asked he mentioned the number 500. Also, Chris Waller on his own would be up there. To have 1000/1200 at Cambridge seems a lot at any one time? Perhaps Woodsie may have some idea? Right now, today, how many horses in work at CAMBRIDGE?

It sounds like 1000+ at the moment from the quote in the article that I linked to in the first page of this thread. I.e., 1000+ currently in work there.

"First and foremost it is a training and trials track for the over 1000 horses we have in work here at Cambridge," says Campin