RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
tim vince

Should

2 hours ago, lamour said:

I think the stakes for the 2 open class races at Cambridge are about right.    Personally I believe races with a 40 - 45 rating should only be worth 5 or 6k, with the money saved on them boosting races with ratings above 50.   

Kiss goodbye to the majority of owners then!

2 hours ago, Taku Umanga said:

Kiss goodbye to the majority of owners then!

Not really.  It would only effect 1 or 2 races max at some  meetings.   Most owners aspire to owning a good horse and I believe a horse that has had say 6 starts for a couple of wins & a couple of placings  should have the opportunity to race for more than a horse that has had  say 30 starts for a win and a couple of placings, is out of form.and gone down to a rating 45 or below.    

Isn't there a case for the maidens to be the biggest stakes.most horses win one race and it might help people reinvest.tbe 1500 bonus was gr8 but hrnz ran out of money

.hard to talk an owner into reinvesting winning a race after 2 to three years fromyearling win 5k get your stakecloser to 4 on paying out and getting a bill for themonthhof 3k.

9 hours ago, lamour said:

I think the stakes for the 2 open class races at Cambridge are about right.    Personally I believe races with a 40 - 45 rating should only be worth 5 or 6k, with the money saved on them boosting races with ratings above 50.   If you look at USA, Aussie or Canada the stakes for the lower class races are around 4K or below.             The real question however is how to increase income for clubs so they can increase stakes substantially.   This is where people’s thoughts and efforts need to be directed.  

My point referred to the fact that the trotting race was lucky to get more than 2 open trotters as Allstars entered as an afterthought cos of Aussie trip.But Cambridge deserves support .

But lowering Stakes would be disastrous ,relative to costs.

FYI costs in North are considerably higher  ,and not the smaller hobby trainers like in South. Even hay can be twice the price in north !

Ultimately 'profits' for stakes depends on betting. And betting on horses is dropping ,with growth in sports betting being significant and the racing board last year paid out more to clubs than they made. This obviously can't continue.

As we read constantly on here , the TAB pisses many ,many, many Kiwi punters off ...so much that many proudly bet overseas . Add all the other excuses why we don't bet....no race books ,team driving , poor driving , poor integrity , wrong distances , bad starter ,poor food , grumpy tote person ,poor odds,loud music etc etc

Then add why we won't become club members......entrance fees not attractive etc and clubs limited as to how they can build up reserves to maintain stakes.

So its food , corporate and conventions  to make money while ATC has gaming  pokies and TAB to give a significant cash flow.

On the other side of ledger ,in times past costs got out of control at Racing Headquarters and this hard to reverse.

The holiday crowds are great but IMO rationalization is well overdue and every cost needs trimming and I am sure some courses should close and the calendar rethought .

The struggles will continue for NZ clubs.....I guess eventually sports betting will keep growing with Kiwis ,ditto Lotto , horse betting will shrink but there will be plenty of Overseas races to bet on ,as there is now.

No horse owners in NZ , means no trainers .....

The government sure won't bail racing out.

I don't think removing your product from areas will help - nobody in Hawkes Bay or Wellington now interested in harness and they are the people who are needed to further the future interest in the sport through their own interest and their offspring.     whether by training or driving or just through the TAB.       I think square one is to get all codes, especially the equine ones to work together not against each other - latest examples are both Tauranga & Te Aroha where in both areas the T'bred people have become very anti to harness.     They don't get great fields themselves so surely a trial of dual code meetings would help them as much as keeping harness in those regions.    

49 minutes ago, tasman man 11 said:

Ultimately 'profits' for stakes depends on betting. And betting on horses is dropping ,with growth in sports betting being significant and the racing board last year paid out more to clubs than they made. This obviously can't continue.

49 minutes ago, tasman man 11 said:

Mick G was on Trackside this morning talking about the select committee process for the race fields legislation which gets underway in a few weeks.  Hopefully HRNZ are making submissions beneficial to Harness Racing especially in regards to the formula for distribution of funds.   It would  be good if we had some communication from The HRNZ board as to where they are at in promoting Harness racing’s interest in this matter. 

1 hour ago, lamour said:

Mick G was on Trackside this morning talking about the select committee process for the race fields legislation which gets underway in a few weeks.  Hopefully HRNZ are making submissions beneficial to Harness Racing especially in regards to the formula for distribution of funds.   It would  be good if we had some communication from The HRNZ board as to where they are at in promoting Harness racing’s interest in this matter. 

Obviously the goal of the new legislation is to increase revenue.

The phase out of Govt Duty and the introduction of charges on  overseas operators are planned as game-changers.

The outcome of these is expected to annually delver 10's of millions  back to racing !

Here's hoping .....time will tell.

To your earlier point about horses racing for lower stakes in USA ,Canada and Aussie [eg $4k] this highlights another bugbear of NZ Harness.....handicapping /ratings.

Currently in Nz a win in a lowly race will incur similar points to at Auckland , which often makes the next step uncompetitive . Hence horses sold abroad can be racing similar horses for several starts which means they continue to have a chance / be competitive.

Hence Kiwi horses often rack up a string of wins once sold !

Also in North America they can race on Lasix , which immediately lifts them to a new level , maybe after struggling around NZ on 3 x cylinders !